RIP Evel Knievel

Kelverin

"CLEARWATER, Fla. (AP) -- Evel Knievel, the red-white-and-blue-spangled motorcycle daredevil whose jumps over crazy obstacles including Greyhound buses, live sharks and Idaho's Snake River Canyon made him an international icon in the 1970s, died Friday. He was 69."

Link

A cultural Icon. Most of the nation watched his televised stunts. I remember having his toy motorcycle when I was a kid.

"CLEARWATER, Fla. (AP) -- Evel Knievel, the red-white-and-blue-spangled motorcycle daredevil whose jumps over crazy obstacles including Greyhound buses, live sharks and Idaho's Snake River Canyon made him an international icon in the 1970s, died Friday. He was 69."

Link

A cultural Icon. Most of the nation watched his televised stunts. I remember having his toy motorcycle when I was a kid.

I remember my friends having it. It was pretty cool. But I didn't know he was a real person for years.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Link

I remember my friends having it. It was pretty cool. But I didn't know he was a real person for years.

Same here.

Though the guy had guts. Sad to see him go.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

The fact that he has died is not at all shocking. The fact that he died at 69 year of age, at home, and of natural causes* is absolutely amazing. The ultimate achievement for a daredevil.

R.I.P.

* Sure, the various injuries, surgeries, and pain killers he endured over the years probably didn't exactly help him fight off the diseases that killed him, but still, 69 years is nothing to sneeze at.

What? The guy was still alive?

Amazing.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Doesn't say what he died of. My guess would be after so much body trauma he had cancer.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Doesn't say what he died of. My guess would be after so much body trauma he had cancer.

He was suffering from a combination of diabetes, pulminory fibrosis, hepatitis C (likely contracted via a post-accident blood transfusion), and the aftermath of 2 prior strokes. I doubt that the doctors bothered much in figuring out which of these ailments pushed him over the edge.

He was suffering from a combination of diabetes, pulminory fibrosis, hepatitis C (likely contracted via a post-accident blood transfusion), and the aftermath of 2 prior strokes. I doubt that the doctors bothered much in figuring out which of these ailments pushed him over the edge.

I see what you mean. :sorcerer:

-Elwood Blues