xbox360 - what about the 3 rings of death?

LadyCrimson

I'm getting more and more fed up with the shrinking PC-game aisles, as well as the whole PC hardware/driver +Microsoft game and am becoming more tempted to buy a MacPro for computing and consoles for gaming. :p But then you still run into the 'have to get the new console version' every couple years, and they're not exactly cheap these days. Plus needing more than one console system if you want "all" or at least the majority of the games. It's going to take some time for me to decide what I want to do.

In the meantime ...

I know Xbox360 has more titles and seems to be more popular than the PS3. But I've heard so much about the 'rings of death' and terrible reports of people sending in their broken 360's only to get refurbished ones as replacements, that then break in a couple more months.

Anyone have problems with the 360's hardware since buying one? I'd hate to buy one for $400 and have it conk out on me in 8-12 months or something.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Why would you buy a Mac for computing?

As for the RRoD, I haven't heard anything about that in a while. I was beginning to presume it was resolved.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Because she is a jerk?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

It's like with Windows 95 and bluescreen, now we are into Windows 98, where everything is stabile, but not yet to SE where new problems start to crop.

My friend has had RRoD twice and it's not really a recurring problem, either your Xbox has a rare heating issue or permanent flaw or it's a one time crash down, both happen about as frequently as CTD in Windows XP. There's actually three types of red rings: when two parts of the full ring appear it means a A/V-cable problem(plug is loose), when it's 3 of 4 there's a heating problem and the third one is apparently a general crashdown, but I can't remember the amount of lights in that one. There's a documentation in the web for all this.

In a nutshell, it's a system for the console to show what is wrong. If you keep it in a relatively cool place, don't stack anything against or over it and don't let overheat in any other way, chances are that you'll never see RRoD. Furthermore, since the console is relatively prone to overheating anyway, it's a good excuse, should you need one, to leave it off during summer and go hit the beach.

Srsly.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Because I like graphics, video, and photography and am tired of drivers, patches, conflicts, spending hours on the web looking for "the best free/cheap software that usually ends up needing more drivers or doesn't suit my needs" routine ... besides, with Mac's current OS, at least you have the option of running Windows OS and software as well. Plus their monitors rock.

Take off the games from my computer and there isn't all that many things I really need the PC for, that Mac can't do just as well.

Xbox360 - I still see a lot of websites with people complaining about the hardware failures up to current day. I don't know if the xbox you buy right this minute is 'fixed' or not, tho.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Only stupid people and hipsters buy macs. Seriously, if you really need a portable art studio, just buy a Vista'ed laptop and slog it full of graphic apps.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

I see Apple prejudice is still strongly in force in many corners ... heheh ... believe me, I was one of them for years ... and so is my hubby.

I don't know if it's the right solution for me yet ... but I seriously am tired of the PC routine. I'm not a coding geek, I'm getting too "old" and don't have enough free time to spend farking around w/all the PC stuff anymore. If not a Mac, I may give up computers almost altogether before long.

But thanks for the info on the xbox. :D

Yeah, I won't pretend to know anything about Apple. I just hate the stupid transsocietalism they are doing, the whole iPeople-idea is like a sermon of monoculture. Everyone should be standardised and streamlined, they are building a bridge from the aesthetic ideal to actual ideal and I just don't like it. Homogenic and stale is not my idea of a happy work enviroment, or, if the rumours of iHome are true, a pleasant family home.

Sorry, I'm sure the machines are fine, they sell so well afterall, I just don't like the undertow a bit.

kirottu said:

Only stupid people and hipsters buy macs. Seriously, if you really need a portable art studio, just buy a Vista'ed laptop and slog it full of graphic apps.

Agreed. But the best video editing and graphics solution(next to a linux workstation with proprietary software from somewhere like ILM) is a PC with WinXP 64 :)

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

All right, since someone else bumped that other thread, making me notice it ...

If you buy a 360, try to get one made with the newer manufacturing process. They should be less disaster prone...

Seems to indicate there was some tweaking done w/the systems later. I'll do some research on how to figure out what you're getting, which should help. I'm always leery of stores during the holidays, with their giant displays of on-sale consoles to entice holiday shoppers ...

And Musopticon?, I understand that sentiment re: Apple ... I have the same issue with Microsoft. Not the PC ... just Microsoft. I keep hoping Vista will be another hole in their armor to allow Linux and Mac to grow a bigger market share. Actually, it's already happening a little. Competition and options good. Oh and I forgot to mention that my entire family are largely Apple people ... I've been the lone, adamant PC user and it's kind of a pain, sometimes.

Huuby likes Linux for some stuff ... I've never been able to get into them as-is.

Edited by LadyCrimson

I've gotten the three rings once, and I was actually pretty surprised with the service Microsoft provided. I called them, and within a week a cardboard-coffin arrived, and I packed up my 360 and shipped it out (shipping was paid for by MS). Two weeks passed and my 360 came back, good as new. MS also sent me a gift card for one month free of Xbox Live, to make up for the 3 weeks I lost on my subscription. Not really a bad deal, and everything was free. Its been running flawlessly since I got it back.

Most of my friends have 360s (I'd say around 10 or so) and myself and one other person are they only ones who have run into problems (we've had ours since the systems release, so it seems older consoles are more prone to the 3 Rings). If you're going to get a 360, try to find out when it was manufactured before you purchase one. If you're getting a console, 360 really is the way to go, because it's a console. It's not a home entertainment system like the PS3 claims to be, and it isn't trying to be super innovative with motion sensor controls like the Wii. The 360 falls somewhere in the middle, and I like everything about mine.

Edited by Krookie

Is it easy to chip a 360 nowadays? If i buy one, I want to use it for lots of stuff and not just for what it was intended.

Unless you isolate your 360 in a tight corner and leave it on for two weeks, I don't think you'll get the red rings of death.

Also, the RRoD is mostly caused when a certain alloy in the console melts, but the issue was quickly fixed in later consoles, and I'm pretty sure the 360 elite is a lot less prone to RRoD.

I've never had any problems with the RRoD, and I doubt you will if you treat your console right.

EDIT: Also, Macs themselves are great (not for everything, though), but not popular enough... The advertising is just annoying.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Well, these reponses are definitely making me feel more comfortable with the idea of spending $350+ on a console, perhaps around Xmas. Hopefully it'll make my spouse more comfy, as well.

Then the question becomes ... should I get the basic white one or the Halo3 green one? Haha! :)

Join us, LC, join us!!

I've had a couple of games that would freeze up the console occasionally, but aside from that (which happens on pretty much every system, eventually) my 360 has held up fine for about a year and change now.

edit: plus LIVE can be entertaining at times

Edited by Kor Qel Droma

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Damn LIVE and it's monthly fees!

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I'm lazy like that.