Um... Mass Effect.

Sand

Okay, I was able to rent a XBox 360 with a 20 gig hard drive and got myself a copy of Mass Effect. BLARGH!

I can see why people would mistaken this game to be a shooter for the combat sections can be rather intense. The main difficulty of the game was getting use to the controls but once that is solved the game got a bit easier, but even on the "Casual" level I have to say that Mass Effect is by far the hardest Bioware game I have played. It is a nice change. The voice acting isa little stilted and not as fluidic and colorful as NWN2 but far superior than some of Bioware's outings in NWN1 and KotOR and the dialog system isn't as annoying as I thought it would be.

I can see why Volourn thinks that ME is better than KotOR and I happen to agree. The combat is much more fun than KotOR's and ME isn't saddled with the Star Wars setting. So far I haven't come across any major technical glitches except for the console freezed up on one loading screen. So far I am 6 hours in and overall having a decent time of it. :)

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Cool.

To make combat more managable, don't afraid to pause, and user powers (both yours and allies). It's been a while since I've played a game I've died this much, and most of my deaths could ahve been avoided if was a lot more careful, and actually used my powers. Heh.

Enemies are much easier when they're floating harmlessly in the air, that's for sure. L0L

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

That is what I have been doing. Pausing, then lining up for the shot, either by gun or biotic. I am going through the game with an Adept and so far I haven't died too much.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

The door of my xbox, which serves as my DVD player, has a hard time openning or closing lately. I wonder if ME, combined with my ailing xbox, is a good excuse to buy a 360.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Wait, you're playing this on casual, and have to pause to line up shots?

Jolly crap.

What? Any higher settings and the game would be kicking my ass! Remember, I'm an old fogey. I played the gold box games on their inital release date back when turn base combat was king.

My main issue with Mass Effect is the constant use of the DVD drive. The XBox 360's, at least the one I am using, is horrendously load when in use. Hell, my PC DVD-ROM hardly makes a noise when used but the XBox 360's drowns out the elevator muzak. Sheesh.

Edited by Sand

Surviving is not a problem even in high settings, since you can pretty much grind in the random planets before any major missions. Kill the odd thresher maw(doable, once you get the hang of drive-by-shooting), go around planets with an electronics expert and a smooth talker and you'll reap xp without any serious action.

Well, giant space slugs trying to suck your bonemarrow might be called serious, but only after a fashion.

Furthermore, if anyone happens to spend some time in the Sparta section of space(next to Knossos, in Artemis system), please look for an inevitable easter egg.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Furthermore, if anyone happens to spend some time in the Sparta section of space(next to Knossos, in Artemis system), please look for an inevitable easter egg.

There was an easter egg in Sparta? That was one of the earlier system that I explored, and I don't remember anything. What was it, and where in particular? I want to go back and pay closer attention this time (or possible in my next hardcore engineer playthrough).

I don't have the game on me, sorry.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

What is this easter egg?

I'll take a guess, it either has something to do with 300, or with Kotor.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Both of you misunderstood me, I asked anyone to look for an eater egg, because I suspect there is one(for obvious reasons), not because I already know of it. I don't own an xbox, so I can't check right now.

Also, I'm beginning to doubt my early praise for this game. The more I play and read, the more it feels like a rehash of Star Control 2's plot and game mechanics and Alastair Reynold's Revelation Space. Not that this is a bad thing, not at all. It just degrades Bioware's artistic integrity extremely. I thought that what they were doing was rather original at first, but eh...well, at least it beats Jade Empire and a certain game about lightsabers and loading ramps off the water.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:

My main issue with Mass Effect is the constant use of the DVD drive. The XBox 360's, at least the one I am using, is horrendously load when in use. Hell, my PC DVD-ROM hardly makes a noise when used but the XBox 360's drowns out the elevator muzak. Sheesh.

So they're really noisy, eh? Hmm ... I won't like that much. But oh well.

Is there anyway to explain what you guys mean by 'combat is better than Kotor?' In what way? Just the fact it's harder? Or something else, ie, style or interface?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Maybe because it's entirely real time, so characters won't stand there waiting for their turn to shoot?

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

So they're really noisy, eh? Hmm ... I won't like that much. But oh well.

Is there anyway to explain what you guys mean by 'combat is better than Kotor?' In what way? Just the fact it's harder? Or something else, ie, style or interface?

I have no idea why people make such a big deal about the noise 360s make. It's not like it's a dealbreaker.

It's not nearly as annoying as the CD drive on the Dreamcast used to be.

Also, the combat from KOTOR to ME is apples to oranges. I guess the simplest way to put it is that in KOTOR you told your party what to do. In ME, you actually are doing it. You don't cycle through available targets in a battle, you aim at them with the right thumbstick and you have to keep attacking them. It's still stats-based, but you can't just sit back, let the math play out, and enjoy the show anymore.

The combat took some getting used to, mostly because I haven't played a console shooter since... well, Goldeneye. Still, I'm learning. Now the only thing that gives me problems is driving the damn jeep while operating the turret.

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

I have no idea why people make such a big deal about the noise 360s make. It's not like it's a dealbreaker.

For some people it might be ... like a couple w/different work hours and a very, very tiny living space.... :D

I won't not-buy something based purely on noise levels, but I do find extra-noisy appliances very distracting if/when I'm trying to concentrate on something. Maybe it depends on how sensitive the hearing is. Mine's pretty acute. But I can always use headphones?

Also, the combat from KOTOR to ME is apples to oranges. I guess the simplest way to put it is that in KOTOR you told your party what to do. In ME, you actually are doing it. You don't cycle through available targets in a battle, you aim at them with the right thumbstick and you have to keep attacking them. It's still stats-based, but you can't just sit back, let the math play out, and enjoy the show anymore.

Thanks...that's the kind of description I was looking for.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Is it just me or does ME seem like the type of game that could easily (at least, more easily than most) go "epic" without screwing too much with the basic mechanics of the game? It seems obvious that Shepard will be back for the sequels.

I seem to remember that Bioware was talking at some point about working continuity between iterations of the game. Like, loading your character from the first to the second. I wonder if they'll do a KOTOR2 sort of deal and work out the specific events of the first game at the beginning to determine the context of the second. That's something I'd like to see in some capacity.

Edited by Pop

It's funny. I would happily spend $1000.00 building a new computer to play a PC version of ME , but would not spend $300 to buy an Xbox to play it now. I guess I'm nuts.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

It's funny. I would happily spend $1000.00 building a new computer to play a PC version of ME , but would not spend $300 to buy an Xbox to play it now. I guess I'm nuts.

But not alone, though. I would probably say the same. For me, I'm just not sure I could have a positive experience with a controller instead of a keyboard and mouse - it's too far outside my comfort zone.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I used to be PSOne player so console controllers aren't problem to me :lol:

Eventually I changed to PC world, but I've never hold such anticonsole elitism attitude that's commonly encountered in the intrawebz

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

I used to be PSOne player so console controllers aren't problem to me :lol:

Eventually I changed to PC world, but I've never hold such anticonsole elitism attitude that's commonly encountered in the intrawebz

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

I have my anti-console elitist moments, but I wouldn't let that stop me playing a really good game (which ME appears, from the words of others, to be). But I bought a PS2 and tried a few games on it and I just never felt at ease with the controller. You can buy console-like controllers for the PC, so why can't you attach a keyboard and mouse to the XBox360 and use them instead?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Well, my Top Ten games list is all-pc (except for first Metal Gear Solid first game I've ever nearly worshipped :lol: ), but consoles have some great titles (especially PS2), Shadow of Colossus is one of the few games that can I consider as art, there's God of Wars etc.

Xbox 360 is rising too.