Volournian Early ME Impressions

Volourn

I'm rather early in the game; but I thought I'd spam my impressions of the early part of the game. For the record, I'm about 4 hours into the game, and fully half of that has been spent reading the awesomely awesome Galatic Codex so take my thoughts on the game with a grain of salt. I haven't even done any space travel (not counting auto trips), or used the mako yet. That's how early I am.

I just finished talking to the Citedal Council, and they gave my main mission. Here are my foolish opinions.

Character Creation: Fanastic. It's not D&D; but it more than gets the job done. You have two variant backgrounds (history/background, and pychological profile). These are used in convo as people who know (of) you will often refer to your past, dialogue options cna open up, and supposeldy future quests cna be opened stritcly due to this. 6 classes (3 main + combos) as well. There are over 30 talents (counting class class ones) that rnage from weapons to armour to combat to biotech to non combat skills as well along with the two dialogue skills. You get (at the start as it changes later on) 3 skill points a level. Each character has about 12 talents (if you count non class specific ones like the charm/intimidate) to choose from), and each talent has 12 levels. It should be noted that both certain talents, and talent levels need to be lunlocked only after certain requirements are met (ie. at first, charm can only be risen to level 3 until your paragon status goes up and an infiltrator cna only access the sniper rifle talent after raising the pistol talent to the 5th rank).The higher the talent level the better you are. Duh.

The system can be both complex as often times you have to do f to get k than do z for r; but it's also easy to figure out since the character screen shows at what level a certain skill or bonus is granted. At certain levels, talents can give extra bonusesabove the normal pluses the sniper rifle will open up the 'assassination ability' at rank 3, and that gains in power at rank 8. The charts needed to show all the combinations, powers, and abilities linkage amongts the various classes and talents literally fills pages of charts in the LE (manual covers the very basics). Overall, a very system. It absolutely crushes KOTOR's character system despite KOTOR's use of d20 and feats. It's very robust in a matrix sort of way. JE's character system isn't even near it. I would make it akin to BL's character system except BL has more variancy in non combat skills.

Charm/Intimidate vs. Paragon/Renegade: I have a seperate category for these as the convo skills work a tad differently than most games, anmd play off the morality scale big time. First off, like I said above, you cna't just go ahead and max out these abilities. They start at max 3 ranks, and you have bonus ranks. To do this, if you want to focus on charm you should concetrate on being a Paragon (Good Cop), and if you want Intimidate concentrate on being a Renegade (Bad Cop). The higher your ranking in a certain Morality Scale, the higher your ranking in the linked convo ability. Remember, the morlaity scales are actually seperate, and you can never have 100% in both. These will definitely effect dialogues as while both charm, and intimidate can be used in the same convo; the tone used is very different (duh!). As a side note, charm gets you cheaper prices at stores while intimidate gets stores to pay more for your used goods. A different kind of use for these dialogue skills indeed. You could play 'neutral', and increase both charm and intimidate to the same degree (or mix and match); but if you do that you'll likely never have the best rank (12) of either one; but a split option of both. These skills can open up potential variant quest solving as well as other rewards to boot.

Dialogue System: I like it. The short responses seem to work well enough, and it's very rare for me to see a response that doesn't fit. There is a lot of dialogue though (espicially on the Citedal) espicially if you take the 'inquisitive' path. Your responses will often lead to Paragon/Renegade points. This is, so far, the biggest evidence of C&C. Sadly, often times, whatever you say gets reacted to and then the NPC just moves on. And, OMG, stop with the forced npcs! When i say I don't want her in my party it means I don't want her in my party, punks! (p.s. I was just testin' that out). That's lameo, and must stop. Still, other times C&C is involved as evidenced by various Citedal side quests (ie. Preaching Hanar quest, totally sweet!). In this regard, it's no different than your typical BIO game. No better than KOTOR, BG2, or NWN OC. JE is still king here in BIO Land. This is so far, though, as it may change. I admit, however, I'm a tad dissapointed in this aspect of the game. Probably the only part that I am dissapointed in.

Technical issues: I've had none. Period. End of story. Sure, elevators are 'slow'; but that's because they are basically load screens. And, they're no slower than other games to eb sure. The best part is that at leats ehre the npcs will talk about what just happen (ie. Ashley and Kaiden exchnaged their thoughts on the Council meeting we had just attended). Other than that, no hang ups, no graphical anomalies, no silly weapons not firing when supposed to, etc., etc.

Combat: It's fun. I find it challenging (but not 'hard') espicially since I'm still getting used to how it works. My companions tend to listen to my orders though it would be nice if I could order them seperately. They do get stuck or confused; but very rarrely. They are useful in combat, and can often get kills before me. The game is unforgiving for those who don't use talents, and decided to have a fire fight in the open without making the best use out of cover. Both player and character matter much like any solid Action RPG ala ME, JE, G3, and BL. If your character has a low ranking in a weapon talent, you will likely miss way more foten than a character who is highly skilled. Guns don't run out of ammo; but they can over heat if you just spam the shoot button, and some take awhile to recharge as well as range limits. Armour is more about blocking incoming attacks then actually making you dodge. You can order your allies to group together, take the lead, attack a specific enemy, or fall back (good when they're wounded). Helaing is done by the Y button and effectiveness is determined by the team's med skill (not sure if it's a combo of all 3 party members or the best one). You press Y, all 3 are healed; but you must have a medigel. Combat still has the lame ass KOTOR/NWN2 style respawn at end of battle; but with the added twist of if PC dies; game is over ala BG series. Overall, combat is hella fun. KOTOR isn't even in the same league.

Graphics/Music/Sound/Voiceovers: Near perfect. Not much to say about this. Citedal just looks fantastic. Weapons,a rmour, the alien races, every thing. Voice oevrs ar every cool, and sound effects all add to it. Music is overall good; but not as good as I would have thought they be. For exmaple, the main theme music (when starting the game) is passable espicially after hearing it so much.. Not much elee to say about this category.

Equipment: First off, the inventory sucks. No way else to put it. It's a mess. It's kind of scrappy to describe it. This is one area that even KOTOR beats it. The inventory is THAT bad. Sloppy.

Anyways, the equipment itself is rather good. Combat equipment (armour & weapons) have different rankings (up to level 10), and can have different manufactures which effect a weapon (or armour's) quality. This pretty much goes for all equipment. Guns, armour, and ammo cna all be upgraded with addons or variant ammo types. This lets you customize your stuff even more. The game has lots of equipment so people who whined about JE's lack of inventory cna't her ethough ME doens't have the D&D/fantasy style of equipping rings, bracers, and the like for special abilities.

Omnigel/Medigel/Credits/Stores: Omnigel is an all purpose substance used to make repairs to the Mako as well as used to open doors, and other mechnaical stuff (very useful if you fail the mini game when opening locks and whatnot). You get some in the field as well as scavaging it from your own junk (usually 4 omnigel per item). It is very important.

Medigel is a version of omnigel needed to heal oneself. Without it, you can't bandage your or allies up no matter how good your med/first aid skills are. You start with a limited batch; but you can eventually earn the ability to carry more.

Credits is basically cash.

Stores, while not a sloppy as the inventory, cna be handled better. It's seperated in sections like buy/sell/common items/rare items/special items. Not bad on service; but exiting and going back in cna be annoying. Coolest part of stores is the ability to purchase licenses for different companies so you have the ability to buy their specialized items. Also, of note, is the ability to buyback sold equipment at any store in case you regret doing so. Howeevr, it should be noted that you only get 15% of atcual cost when selling (unless you have intimidate). Some might find it silly to be able to do this; but it's a nice gameplay solution for those who smack their heads when selling something they want to keep much later when they notice the mistake (without cheaply reloading).

Minigames: Opening locks, and other stuff involves a combination of things. You always have two chances. First off, you must have the proper talent (decryption or electronics usually) to even access it, have the correct rank (easy, normal, and hard) and then you cna try to deal with the lock. The first chance involves a mini game that is very similar to Simon Says. Be quick as this doesn't waste time (you get more time the higher your required talent rank is). If you succeedd, you are in. Otherwise, be prepared to use a lot of omnigel as you only get one chance at the minigame and it costs a LOT of omnigel. Or you can be cheap, and do one of the fllowing instead: a) reload your last save over and over until you get past the mini game or b) whine on the official boards like these people: http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/viewt...um=104&sp=0 (l0l). Personally, I enjoy the idea of it even though I have done poorly at the minigame thus far. With practice, I'm sure I'll do better. It's a good combination of player and character skill which is fitting for a Action RPG.

Galatic Codex/Journal/ME Universe: The journal is your typical RPG journal. Nothing to see there.

The Galatic Codex, on the other hand, is awesome. It's basically an advance journal that covers all the info (background and pertinent) about the ME universe. It has sections on weapons, Mass Effect technology, omnigel, worlds, races, and history of humankind, the Citedal, and the Spectres amongst other stuff. It's very detailed and mostly options. To me, it really adds to the game's atmosphere; by giving the player access to 'extra' info like this. This information is usually added to the Codex when they player takes the 'inquisitive' option in dialogue (usually nets some xp as well) or at terminals or when you encounter a new place, being, or technology.

The universe definitely feels alive with a history. The races all have their prejudices , lots of strife, and lots of drama unfolds. I really like some of the really alien races. While some races are ho hum human like; others are out there (though I'm sure some lameo will point out how they're a rip off of x alien race in some other SCi Fi crap; but meh). These include Krogan, Hanar (my favorite), and Elchor. I simply can't do all this justice. Sure, the ME universe touches on most of SciFi's cliches; but together it simply works.

Where I Am Right Now: I am a level 5 Earthborn War Hero of the Infiltrator Class leaning towards Paragon. I just finished my first meeting with the Citedal Council, and have been sent on my first mission for them. The game was rather linear through the prologue (up to arriving in Citedal); but has now seemingly opening up. I have a handful of side quests in my journal (and, some main ones). My first was the Preaching Hanar quest. Very good quest with convo skill useage, different ways to complete, and different rewards, and such. Not deep C&C; but ti's there. The quest is also fun (albeit short as it's just ahandful of convos). But, as above, it should be noted, that I've played for 4 hours but a full 2 hours or so was spent reading The Codex/fooling around learning the game.

The npcs I've interacting witha re rather interetsing, and the joinables do share their input quite a bit. Small comments here,a nd there. Non party members seem to ahve their own motivations - some obvioius; others not. The main plot point is solid; but not incredibly deep. I prefer the main story (Shepard as the spear of humanity) much more, personally.

Overall, a great game. I am disspaointing in the C&C as I expected more so I hope that picks up as I further explore the Citedal and beyond. I still haven't done space travel, driven the Mako, and other stuff...

Ask any questions, or not. .. I'll keep updating my experience here...

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Finally, the story. So far, the story seems like a rip-off of the anime called 'Vandread'. Basically, machines come back every 50000 years and devour everything that's alive, and you have to stop them. Seems familiar? If the final boss is an ancient relative to humans, but now claiming itself (themselves?) as god(s) since they have achieved immortality by sucking the life out the universe with these 'machines' every now and then. Also, he/she/they are pretty lonely and can't grasp companionship, friendship and love like 'normal' people.

I wouldn't be suprised if Shepard's archnemesis wants to destroy humanity since they are relatives to the 'machines', and they have the potential to do the same with the discovery of 'Mass Effect'.

*shrugs*

Volo, when finishing the game, care to confirm/deny if the story is like the one that i envisioned above?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Finally, the story. So far, the story seems like a rip-off of the anime called 'Vandread'. Basically, machines come back every 50000 years and devour everything that's alive, and you have to stop them. Seems familiar? If the final boss is an ancient relative to humans, but now claiming itself (themselves?) as god(s) since they have achieved immortality by sucking the life out the universe with these 'machines' every now and then. Also, he/she/they are pretty lonely and can't grasp companionship, friendship and love like 'normal' people.

Sigh.

I guess its good in execution.

Right?

Wait, what?

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Well, that paragraph makes it sound totally crap.

But I know most stories do sound crap and cliche if compressed into a paragraph.

"Well, that paragraph makes it sound totally crap.

But I know most stories do sound crap and cliche if compressed into a paragraph."

That's not the actual story. that's Meshuggers' thoughts on what it might be...

"I notice some lag dont tell me that you didn't Volo.."

I think it lagged for exactly .0000000000000000000000000000111111 seconds 1ce or 2ce. It was rather unnoticeable. I feel it needs to be more than that for me to count as an actual 'technical issue' to worry about.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

So I'm thinking that the party's healing and tech skills are determined by the individual who has the highest rank in appropriate skill? Can anyone confirm or deny?

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

"Well, that paragraph makes it sound totally crap.

But I know most stories do sound crap and cliche if compressed into a paragraph."

That's not the actual story. that's Meshuggers' thoughts on what it might be...

Was i wrong? Then it is all good then.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

I wouldn't be suprised if Shepard's archnemesis wants to destroy humanity since they are relatives to the 'machines', and they have the potential to do the same with the discovery of 'Mass Effect'.

*shrugs*

Volo, when finishing the game, care to confirm/deny if the story is like the one that i envisioned above?

It is not this.

Spoilers follow.

Basically, you're supposed to think it's Saren who's behind all this Geth carnage or whatnot, but it turns out that the Geth worship his flagship as a God, and they follow Saren because Saren follows the ship. The ship is "Sovereign", and it is a Reaper, one of the ancient supermachines, the only one in the galaxy. It isn't fully explained, but the Sovereign has the power to slowly gain control of any organic being within proximity to it. So while Saren initially fights out of a hatred for humans, at some point he becomes a slave to the ship. Some of the several twists (none of which are particularly relevatory) is that the Protheans weren't the first intergalactic species, but the last of many, and that they didn't actually build the Citadel or any of the Relay stations, but the Reapers did, and they've been handed down to all the species they eventually wiped out. The final twist is that the citadel is in reality a huge mass relay that, when activated, warps in the entire Reaper fleet who have been idling in the void outside the galaxy. The Reapers set it up so that the Citadel would eventually be the political, tactical and scientific hub of every civilization that found it. That way, when the Reapers warp in, they are essentially granted total victory within the span of an hour. Your task is thus to prevent Sovereign from warping in his fellows.

Edited by Pop

Still waiting for the PC version...

If the XBox 360 had more games I wanted that isn't coming to the PC...

Nice read, Volo. :x

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

The hanar vocals remind me of Ignignokt from Aqua Teen Hunger Force. I keep expecting one of those freaky jellyfish to say something like:

"Commander, this one finds your innuendo distasteful."

Then Err to pop out of nowhere and be all:

"Yeah! Up YOUR endo, man. Ha HA!"

Edited by legion

At least, with the game-play, Bioware seem to have done a pretty good job. The general direction seems to be right. I think Aliens RPG team are checking the game since their direction seems to be not that different.

One thing I cannot understand is that Bioware have this tendency of spending their resources on half-minded mini-games while they tend to become the source of various complaints. Personally, I think it would be better for them to implement mini-games in a way that enhances the core game-play experience rather than scattering them as independent casual games. Ideally, the core game play experience should work like hub for mini-games, I think. Even Bioshock did the same mistake with the hacking mini-game although I thought Irrational/2K team must know much better than that.

Edited by Wombat

Male Shepard = too Canadian

We have ways to force you to pronounce the letter "o."

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

I hate minigames.

The water flow hacking mini-game in Bioshock was a hell of a lot better than the silly button mashing hacking in Mass Effect though. I hate quick time events with a passion.

QTE's are overused in a manner that is unwelcoming, that doesn't mean they're always bad, they just don't always have a place in certain game ME and TR:A are two examples of games where it simply lacks any realy point.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me