In case anyone gives a crap...

Sand

http://gamepolitics.com/2007/11/21/federal...st-florida-bar/

Discuss!

...or not.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

hahaha

Cut-paste get you?

Guy's a bit of a nutter. One of his filings actually requested President Bush as a witness and another accused Penny-Arcade of being involved in a racket. Yet, he gets invited to news shows.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Originally it was to Escapist but I thought it would be better to have the source instead. I do hope that when Jack is finally disbarred it will be the last we hear from him. He has no one to blame but himself, but he won't. He thinks he's Jesus and you can't blame Jesus for anything.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

Originally it was to one of your articles on the PC/Xbox-360.

Eh? Oh. Okay, I originally thought it was to the Escapist but was to the XBox/PC Hybrid article, so I went to the source of the JT article and posted that link. :thumbsup:

grr... damn werewolves...

Edited by Sand

On a related front... Why I will not vote for Clinton: http://gamepolitics.com/2007/11/20/us-sena...e-of-manhunt-2/

On a related front... Why I will not vote for Clinton: http://gamepolitics.com/2007/11/20/us-sena...e-of-manhunt-2/

That's nothing new, Hilary had already called gamers mindless murder-pron crazies -that's a summery- in another statement awhile back when the Hot-Coffee mod and Oblivion topless textures was all over the news... :thumbsup:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Am I the only gamer who want some sort of government regulation?

Studies has shown that violent video games can cause aggressive behavior. Granted, not as much as other people claim, but we should make an effort to have some sort of policy.

Plus, it might be me, but I'm utterly bored of seeing violence. It's not fun at all. Stop protraying blood, it's not that important!

Studies have also shown that rock can cause aggressive driving. And that violent movies can cause aggressive behavior. Should we make an effort of policy on them?

You have to be a right idiot to be of the opinion that the government's job is to police our emotions and exposure to stimulus. When a government decides what is appropriate for it's people to know, see, or feel, it stops having any chance of pretending to be a real Democracy or Republic. A government that controls its people does not answer to them.

Edited by Tale

Am I the only gamer who want some sort of government regulation?

Studies has shown that violent video games can cause aggressive behavior. Granted, not as much as other people claim, but we should make an effort to have some sort of policy.

Plus, it might be me, but I'm utterly bored of seeing violence. It's not fun at all. Stop protraying blood, it's not that important!

Government regulation? If parents don't want their kids to have violent video games then they shouldn't be buying the games for them. We do have a policy. Its called the ESRB. If parents are too god damn lazy to actually make an intelligent purchase then they are at fault, not the industry. Excessive blood and gore is not what I want to see, but realistic blood and gore in my games. If I take a knife to someone's throat I want to see the details. If I poison someone's drink, I want to see the details. If you don't want to play these types of games the solution is clear. DON'T BUY THEM. DON'T BUY THEM FOR YOUR KIDS. Problem solved.

I've long been of the opinion that games aren't realistic enough in that

1) Violence doesn't look gruesome enough.

2) Ridiculously large bonuses accrue with violence.

In reality the results of violence are both repellent to the point of nausea and psychological scarring, and don't pay very well if at all.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I just want my M rated games to be actually worth that M rating. I am also so sick and tired hearing about parent groups complaining about M rated games. Gee, if they actually decided to raise their kid instead of having the government and media do their job we wouldn't be having this problem.

I just want my M rated games to be actually worth that M rating. I am also so sick and tired hearing about parent groups complaining about M rated games. Gee, if they actually decided to raise their kid instead of having the government and media do their job we wouldn't be having this problem.

I disagree. If violent games were truly realistic you'd spend the next five years in freaking therapy.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Agreed, parents are the ones that need to be regulated.

I do think the gaming industry needs to be more responsible for what it puts on the shelves though. There are just too many violent games out there. It would be nice to see the industry try and branch out from that. It's boring. Just because horror movies sell well doesn't mean all of Hollywood is focused entirely on them.

And all of the game industry isn't focused on gruesome games. Most of the games to get M-ratings are as gruesome as your average Segal, Schwarzenegger, Bruce Willis, Van Damme, **** there's a lot of them movies.

And all of the game industry isn't focused on gruesome games. Most of the games to get M-ratings are as gruesome as your average Segal, Schwarzenegger, Bruce Willis, Van Damme, **** there's a lot of them movies.

You and I both know that there's a difference between passive movie watching and operant behaviour.

-Elwood Blues

You and I both know that there's a difference between passive movie watching and operant behaviour.

And that is the reason I, personally, do not like Manhunt 2 on the Wii -not that I own either of those, but I've seen it-, for you are actually using the Wii-remote and Wii-chuck thingy as improvised weapons. Sure, it is not that different from a controller, but it just freaks me out a little since you know some kids are going to somehow get that game on the Wii... :sorcerer:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Yeah, a game is more fun. Beyond that I don't see a real difference. As I said, if parents don't want these games for their kids they shouldn't be buying the games for them. They shouldn't be giving their kids money to buy them. They should take an active role to see what their kids are doing, playing, and watching. Parents need to be parents. If they can't and don't want to, then they should be parents.

As for Manhunt 2, it looks like a subpar actionfest that uses gore as a gimmick. If nobody made a hoopla about it, it would have passed on to obscurity by now.

Edited by Sand

You and I both also know that there's a difference between action and violence. Half-Life illicits different reactions than Manhunt. Just as True Lies illicits a different reaction from Saw.

Edited by Tale

As for Manhunt 2, it looks like a subpar actionfest that uses gore as a gimmick. If nobody made a hoopla about it, it would have passed on to obscurity by now.

I agree with you, Manhunt and Manhunt 2 both look like blood-and-gore filled hack-and-slash-and-shoot-and-bludgeon-and-garrote-and-... fests that are not worth the money spent on them... :x

-Hurlshot

Sorry, Tale. I sounded more snotty than I meant. I was aiming for a snooty 'check out us psychologists' thing.

The most compelling studies I've seen suggest that violence in art don't make us more aggressive, but they can change the way we choose to express aggression. We've moved from thumping someone to murdering their entire family and eating their pets.

-Elwood Blues

We've moved from thumping someone to murdering their entire family and eating their pets.

To get back to your earlier point, I would think that actually controlling the protagonist and dealing with the consequences of your actions, provided it was a RPG /CRPG-like game, would actually be better then watching a gore-fest...

-Hurlshot

Sorry, Tale. I sounded more snotty than I meant. I was aiming for a snooty 'check out us psychologists' thing.

The most compelling studies I've seen suggest that violence in art don't make us more aggressive, but they can change the way we choose to express aggression. We've moved from thumping someone to murdering their entire family and eating their pets.

You should give me a heads up on this kind of thing. I quite enjoy acting snooty!

You should give me a heads up on this kind of thing. I quite enjoy acting snooty!

Quick, put on this labcoat and monocle. Now then...

Deadlynightshade, I get your point. I'm a bit leery of making it an objective of the game. After all, acting out things we wouldn't want to do is part of gaming. Or... I'm far too tired to discuss this now, but it occurs to me that in animals and in simpler cultures games are there to train you to do stuff. Hell, the military use games to train soldiers. Now if those things are true then why presume there is no training element in recreational games?

-Elwood Blues

So what if there is "training." The person still has control. The person playing the game still has free will. Blaming a game for someone's behavior makes as much sense as someone blaming the gun for shooting someone.