Mass Effect Reviews

Volourn

I don't think it was meant to be transparent. I think it was just shoddy storytelling, like in every other Bioware RPG. People seem to like it though, so who am I to complain.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I took Jade Empire as Bioware's attempt in making an interactive Kung Fu movie. A cheesy over the top Kung Fu movie at that.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I felt they were trying (and failing) way too hard to be serious and deep with it.

It has lesbian sex, though. Gotta give them extra points for that.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I'm always of the opinions that romances in games are juvenile. Lesbian romances, on the other hand, are perfectly mature.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I'll play this on Friday, I guess. Friend's getting it and I'm going back home as well.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

"but this is no Baldur's Gate 2, that's for sure."

Nor was it meant to be.

P.S. "slow, unexcited pace of combat, not cerebral enough gameplay"

Meh. Outside of KOTOR which had combat I could live without, I find combat to be a strength of BIO.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I can't agree that combat is their strength. Not sure what they're aiming for, so I can't excuse or qualify their designs. But it's not exciting. Jade Empire was definitely not exciting in the combat department, though all the clicking implies it wanted to be. At the very least, they should hopefully be learning and getting better at it.

Sure if you only click, but I often find my self playing the "The Most Harmonic Combos" game littering the battlefield with multicolored orbs, trying to kill the enemy without touching a single orb. It makes the combat a lot more fun... :p

Well, maybe not but far more difficult... :ermm:

Okay, its not but its something to do at least. :thumbsup:

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

Does this bring ANYTHING new to the FPS genere?

What about any genere it is trying to squeeze into?

After reading a bit I don't see the big deal... another shooter that may (or may not depending on the review) have some decent voice over/story work.

But that aside I don't see a big deal, dime a dozen average shooter from what I am reading. Just as usual (sadly) people buying into the publishers hype machine. In Jan. I'd like to know who (if anyone) is still playing this game. Thats the true test IMO.

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

I hear the story is real good. And what I hear about development sounds interesting. Supposedly at later levels you start destroying cover.

Yeah, it's weird. I keep reading "OMG STORY'S SO AWSUM" from most of the reviews but I've yet have to find anything relatively interesting in storyline. :ermm:

Also, that absolutely horrendous PC Gamer review had few very good points. And he (IT) said story wasn't original. So, who knows?

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

You don't expect pre-release reviews to spoil the story for you, do you?

Of course not, but all I've seen (dialogue so far, basic plot (machine aliens coming from dah deep space!), art direction, setting etc.) so far have been incredibly bland and dull. Nor I haven't heard about any interesting roleplaying options (so far just collar grabbing & according to PC Gamer's "review" options don't actually have much actual effect on world, more like just alternative dialogue lines), though glance on spoiler forums had one remotely interesting one. Apparently

you can be responsible for saving or destroying entire race. Woo!

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

"another shooter that may"

It's not a shooter. In fact, most complaints about the combat is that it's too slow, and too much pausing, and too heavy on stats/skills influencing the combat.

Xard:

you also make a choice to send one of two amongst your party members to their deaths

There are also other choices that some of the rveiews have mentioned including one that gave the game a reasonable 80%. The game does have 4 endings, IIRC.

The story, itself, doesn't seem all that original though. Then again, most stories aren't. It's all a matter of how they're told.

"Just as usual (sadly) people buying into the publishers hype machine. In Jan. I'd like to know who (if anyone) is still playing this game."

Just a sad is the opposite of the fanboy doing their thing. You know the type. they have a theory of x game being horrible, and only pay attention to stuff that 'proves' them right yet ignoring anything that contradicts that theory. Then again, you are a known BIO hater. You can't even get ME's genre right. It's a Action RPG; not a shooter.

On the contrary, as big a fan of BIO that I am, I can actually read the reviews (not just scores), and have second thoughts on certain aspects of a game. ME's inventory seems quite poor in it's KOTOR way (possibly even worse), and the non main story worlds seem to be superficially shallow at worst, or time wasters for exploring and xp gainage at best.

*shrug*

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

So, the world exploring is a smathering of hot spots with some random loot and mining? Ho-hum.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

From what I have seen and read of ME, ME is as much as a shooter as Bloodlines is. :ermm:

Volourn is correct that it is smack dab in the middle for action RPGs. The same catagory of CRPGs as Jade Empire, Oblivion, and Bloodlines.

From what I have seen and read of ME, ME is as much as a shooter as Bloodlines is. :ermm:

Volourn is correct that it is smack dab in the middle for action RPGs. The same catagory of CRPGs as Jade Empire, Oblivion, and Bloodlines.

> It's not a shooter. In fact, most complaints about the combat is that it's too slow, and too much pausing, and too heavy on stats/skills influencing the combat.

So it does not have a FPS like interface? My bad if I misunderstood the screens I saw.

> There are also other choices that some of the rveiews have mentioned including one that gave the game a reasonable 80%. The game does have 4 endings, IIRC.

I don't do console games, there limited and all about trigger finger skills for the most part. I am just commenting on the recent spat of (over) hype for average games I have seen past few years.

> The story, itself, doesn't seem all that original though. Then again, most stories aren't. It's all a matter of how they're told.

True, however, again what does ME bring thats fresh, new, better or original to the FPS (or whatever you want to call it)? For all the hype I'd expect something then a rehash of things that have already been done many times over.

> Just a sad is the opposite of the fanboy doing their thing. You know the type. they have a theory of x game being horrible, and only pay attention to stuff that 'proves' them right yet ignoring anything that contradicts that theory. Then again, you are a known BIO hater. You can't even get ME's genre right. It's a Action RPG; not a shooter.

'Action RPG' is a near oxymoron IMO. its a poor attempt on the publishers part to put a RPG cover over a shooter to try to coax CRPG fans into buying it. If you wish to fall into that PR/sales pitch trap by all means, I wont nor do I subscribe to it.

And how many times must I correct you? hate implies many things I do not feel or have to them. Because there last few offerings we not my cup of tea and considered them average to sub-par automatically equated to hating them? Please. Are there a few arse clowns at bioware I don't like such as georg? yes. But I have ALWAYS given them credit for a great job on the BG series and the MP aspect of classic nwn. So please stop this attempting to label me a total bioware hater. Its old and inaccurate... really.

> On the contrary, as big a fan of BIO that I am, I can actually read the reviews (not just scores), and have second thoughts on certain aspects of a game. ME's inventory seems quite poor in it's KOTOR way (possibly even worse), and the non main story worlds seem to be superficially shallow at worst, or time wasters for exploring and xp gainage at best.

On the flip side lesbian sex!!!!!11 heh

Not really my concern unless it comes to the PC anyways. I just wanted to point out the buzz/spin on it seems > then the actual product from what (little) I read. Could be wrong but theres nothing 'wrong' with that. thats the publishers job to make their game seem like the best thing since sliced bread. I was merely pointing that out.

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

You're being worse than Sand on his periods. Srsly.

Worse than Sand's periods even, in fact.

kirottu said:

Hey, leave me out of this! :thumbsup:

Rhomal, I have to disagree with you on the Action CRPG front. I have played many "Action" CRPGs that are actually good over the years and most of them don't fit the shooter. Take Jade Empire and Oblivion. Both are excellent Action oriented CRPGs yet no shooter aspects whatsoever. Deus Ex and Bloodlines are also two great action CRPGs that do have shooter aspects but still have strong role playing capabilities. Just because the CRPG isn't turn base does not make it any less a CRPG. It just more action oriented and there is nothing wrong with that.