A Noob sensing a great disturbance in the Force...

Doros

Hey, I just had a small problem, and I was wondering if anyone here could helpme out. I'm an old time veteran of NWN and KoToR 1, but this is the first time I've played KoToR 2, and I'm... confused, to say the least. I'm wondering if maybe I missed something, or my game glitched, or what, because... well, let me start at the beginning. Spoilers abound! But if y'all could keep spoilers to a minimum, I'd appreciate it.

I'm playing as a female Sith, pretty solidly Darksided. I just left that ice base (the Fortress of Solitude?) on Telos, and I've started looking for the other Jedi Masters. I went to the Hutt planet (Nar Shadda?) and started poking around, doing quests, etc etc. After a little while, I got this cutscene where some smugglers or mercenaries or whatever come and capture my ship, so I head back to the dock and this fight breaks out. That's meant to happen, right?

Well, anyways, I killed all the guys outside of the ship, then I went inside, and got jumped by a whole bunch more. I started killing them and cut my way to the security room, where the leader of the gang gave a little speech and attacked me. I killed him, and as soon as I did, the screen went black... but only for a second. Then something weird happened... rather than fighting the rest of the guys on the ship (there were at least five mercs still standing), or letting me loot the bodies, everyone vanished. Some blind chick jumped out of nowhere, and I had a little discussion about her doing something to "the crew" (although what the heck that means I have no idea... did she kill the remaining mercs for me?). Then she attacked me, I beat her up, and suddenly she joins my party. Now everyone is talking about a Master (I guess it's that mask-wearing dude from the earlier cutscenes with Kreia) and how I shouldn't have spared her and what the heck is going on? One minute I'm fighting a ship full of reptiles, the next minute I've got Kreia lecturing me about, apparently, having mercy on an assassin?! I'm thinking that these two events (smugglers attack my ship, Visas attacks my ship) aren't supposed to be connected, and maybe I missed a cutscene along the way, so can anyone help explain what's going on?

Oh, and on other question. While checking the internet for character information, it looks like I can get one of two NPCs on Nar Shadaa, right? That cute redhead and the Wookie who keeps showing up in my cutscenes? And who I get depends on my alignment? Well, is there any way to get by that, and convince a different character to join me? I don't want to say I'm racist against Wookies, but... well, I'm racist against Wookies. I'd rather skip the flea-bitten carpet monster and get the chick, so if there's any way to convince the game to give me Mira over whatshisname, evil-Zaalbar, (editing a flag? Using a savegame editor to give me LSPs at whatever point the game decides who I get?) please let me know. Same goes for that Echani chick from the Fortress of Solitude, is there any way to get her to join? Thanks!

Yes, all you describe is normal in the game. However, to clear up some of your questions:

Visas (the blind chick) has nothing to do with the Trandoshan slavers (the lizardmen) who were stealing the Ebon Hawk. By not killing her and her becoming your friend, she'll help you defeat Darth Nihilus (mask-dude) when the time comes. You would be getting the cutscene with Visas the first time you'd return to the Ebon Hawk after you leave Telos (the 'fortress of solitude', with all the girls running around... makes you think!) or something like that. It is also normal that after the fight with the Trandoshans you wouldn't get to pick up any loot either. If you opted not to kill their leader

you could then get a cut from their slave operations for allowing him to live

. It's probably a bit unfortunate that it all happened this way, usually it plays out smoother and its more clear as to what happens when.

With regards to choosing who you want to join your group, alignment dictates it (LS gets Mira, DS gets Hanharr), however there are a couple ways around this.

1 - You can use the KSE (KoTOR Save Editor) to alter your alignment artificially before you trigger the 'join' sequence [however I am unsure when this exactly takes place]

2 - There is also a mod that allows you choose, by rejecting or accepting each potential party member's offer as you see fit. I believe it can be found on filefront, probably under the 'requitment' tab. That's probably what you want too.

To be honest, Hanharr ain't that bad a party member, he's got some pretty cool stats to begin with and has the unique Wookie Rage (similar to Sith Marauder Fury, only it doesn't consume any force points or health or anything) and is an interesting dark character, at least when compared to Z from KoTOR. Mira on the other hand can go through mines without triggering them

and can also become a Jedi Sentinel (I think), however I find that as most NPCs can become Jedis, you don't end up using her as much

. Hope that was helpful!

Cool. Yeah, it was helpful. As long as I'm not missing anything plot-wise, I should be set, and I'm sure I'll figure out what the deal is with Visas eventually. I'll try the LS editing whenever Mira shows up, too... raging Wookie doesn't sound so bad, but then again I don't want anyone stealing my thunder as a Sith-killing melee machine. I'm a solo player at heart, and I usually keep NPCs around for plot purposes and not for their abilities- if they do get too powerful, I either underequip them or send them back to the Ebon Hawk until they learn to play the Lando to my Han (except for HK, I have loads of respect for him and am more than happy to let him take the spotlight when needed).

Plus, I don't think any Wookie-related activities will top Force Dominating Zaalbar to execute Mission... I'd like my KoToR Wookie experiences to end on the highest note possible,

so unless I can somehow get Hanharr to kill Carth (does anyone else hate that guy?!), I'm staying away from him.

P.S. Was the "what did you do to my crew?" speech about Visas Force Stunning everyone? I ask because, while none of my crew were Force Stunned in the brief cutscene leading up to the fight, they were afterwards. Or rather, they had the Force Stun purply effect on them, but they were walking and talking as if nothing was going on... I thought it was weird, and wasn't sure if it had something to do with the attack or not. Maybe a byproduct of triggering two different events in one go?

Edited by Doros

Cool. Yeah, it was helpful. As long as I'm not missing anything plot-wise, I should be set, and I'm sure I'll figure out what the deal is with Visas eventually. I'll try the LS editing whenever Mira shows up, too... raging Wookie doesn't sound so bad, but then again I don't want anyone stealing my thunder as a Sith-killing melee machine. I'm a solo player at heart, and I usually keep NPCs around for plot purposes and not for their abilities- if they do get too powerful, I either underequip them or send them back to the Ebon Hawk until they learn to play the Lando to my Han (except for HK, I have loads of respect for him and am more than happy to let him take the spotlight when needed).

Plus, I don't think any Wookie-related activities will top Force Dominating Zaalbar to execute Mission... I'd like my KoToR Wookie experiences to end on the highest note possible,

so unless I can somehow get Hanharr to kill Carth (does anyone else hate that guy?!), I'm staying away from him.

P.S. Was the "what did you do to my crew?" speech about Visas Force Stunning everyone? I ask because, while none of my crew were Force Stunned in the brief cutscene leading up to the fight, they were afterwards. Or rather, they had the Force Stun purply effect on them, but they were walking and talking as if nothing was going on... I thought it was weird, and wasn't sure if it had something to do with the attack or not. Maybe a byproduct of triggering two different events in one go?

not really the game have several sequences cut out the game, but for some odd reason they also left some half finished sequences in the game.

Jedi Master Altena Windwalker

Pub 9 Elder Jedi, Star Wars Galaxies: Nurf of the Jedi

"We are oft to blame in this--'tis too much proved. --that with devotion's visage and pious action...we do suger o'er the devil himself. " - V

"Spelling errors in my post, oh noes! I'm Japanese and English is not primery language plus I'm dyslexic.

Well, the Wookie storyline is interesting in TSL if only because traditionally they are portrayed as victims of persecution and slavery and good noble guys, whereas Hanharr's story gives you some insight in some of the more troubling times with Wookies, twisting it on its head. I feel that Mira's story is just too darn cliche'd for Star Wars. Hanharr's definitely more useful, in my book anyway, than Z was in KoTOR, particularly if you don't care about not having yet another jedi in your crew.

The crew comment is most likely residue from some of the cut content most likely, little references the game developers didn't get around to omitting or overlooked. I believe there was a cutscene where Kreia stuns the rest of your crew and puts them in storage, in order to allow the slavers to lure you back to the Ebon Hawk to further develop the plot. I could be wrong, but I think that's the gist of it.