First CRYSIS review

Morgoth

Annoying that I still don't know which GPU to upgrade to. I might have to settle for a 8800GT until ATI comes up with something competitive.

That means no more movie nights from my computer for a while. I HATE NVIDIA DRIVERS!!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Tigranes will kick butt on teh highest difficulty setting since, if memory serves, he IS Korean.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Any site that reviewed Farcry (an absolutely terrible game, in my opinion) above 9.0 gets a similarly high-scoring review for Crysis ignored.

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/371314.asp?q=farcry

Which means, with only few exceptions, I have to ignore everyone.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I still don't get how you can't like FarCry. I know, you've explained in detail before, but it's one of my fave fps' and otherwise our tastes seem to mesh well enough.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

9.5 @ GameSpot

How is "8 to 10 hours long" a healthy amount for a shooter?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

What? You think that could be too long? I thought that was standard length for a decade.

Well, I don't think it has been a standard length in anywhere else except console fps. Halos are notoriously short fps.. The last 6 pc fps I've played, which would be Quake 4, Half Life 2, Far Cry, Chrome, Doom 3 and Unreal 2, all were over 15 hours long, some yet longer like Far Cry and Quake 4.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

I never count my hours, but I thought Half-Life 2, Quake 4, and Unreal 2 all ended up being 8-12. Doom 3 was probably longer and it caused me to just put the down because I was tired of it.

You could be right. As I said, I never count my hours.

Edited by Tale

I don't count them either, but I know when I've breezed through something. And Halo 2 was a breeze, Quake 4 an undertaking.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:

Shortest FPS I've played would probably be Prey. Very first time I beat it was in almost exactly 6 hours, while the second time took me almost exactly 5 hours. (Only reason I know is because Prey is one of the few fps games that keeps track of how long you have played. May have been a bad idea on the dev's part considering it lets every customer realize the 10+ hour game they were promised couldn't possibly be beaten in 10 hours unless you took numerous breaks, leaving your character staring at a wall for a few hours every now and then.)

I do like Prey, despite it's ease and short lenght. It is nice to see such an imaginative setting and so many unique features and abilities.

I forgot Prey completely, I should probably look for it in the bargain bin in the meantime.

kirottu said:

I don't really believe that it's just 8-10 hours short...that would oppose the rather open-ended design of the game. What if I just spend a hour for one mission, sneaking up the hillz to throw chickens down until the North Koreans surrender?

Some German print mag said Crysis is rather a "lengthy" FPS.... lengthy FPS for me would be 20 hours or so.

I wanted to like Prey. But, I played the demo and it just felt so generic to me. The characters annoyed the crap out of me. Tommy was just a whiney ****.

You just got kidnapped by aliens, watched humans mutilated, tortured, and murdered. Were killed, ended up in the desert with your dead pet. When your dead grandfather talks to you about the spirits, THIS IS NOT THE TIME TO BE A ****ING SKEPTIC! You do not argue with dead people on spiritual matters. They, by definition, know more than you do.

It made me realize why so many first person games make their characters silent. If I'm off looking around and jumping on top of stuff, it's awkward for my character to be holding a conversation with someone in a completely other room.

Then I tried out the multiplayer portion. NEAT ALIEN GUNS! Oh wait, this is a shotgun. This is a sniper rifle. But, apparently it's an organic alien shotgun and sniper rifle.

Edited by Tale

Unimaginative? Name one other FPS that uses Indian powerz! =]

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Now, now, watch the psuedo-profanity there. =]

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"