Guys there is going to be a Mafia II

Fenghuang

http://www.2kgames.com/mafia2/

You said it, bub. I've been pretty hyped for a while, although the setting is more modern than I would have liked.

Who am I kidding? This is just awesome, old, but awesome!

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I were excited, you know, when it was announced. I probably will be excited when the hype hits me again.

I've been pretty hyped for a while, although the setting is more modern than I would have liked.

What alternatives are there? They can't do the same timeframe again without the game being relatively repetetious in the story department, and going before the prohibition would be a no-no (Blackmailing gets old fast when that is all you do), so the only other game they could make would be to make the game about the sicillian cosa nostra and that doesn't really fit with the first game.

sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

What do you mean repetitive? Whole genres of media are based on stuff staying the same, like the nth fantasy strategy and WW2 fps every year. Exactly how many 30's mafia 3rd person shooters have you seen around lately? One? None at all, right? You argument, if it is an argument, really doesn't hold water.

Let's look at it this way, which one would you prefer? 30's or 50's? Hell, which one would most people prefer?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

I like the 50s.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I like the late thirties if only for the more defined weapon selection and more unique automobiles--honestly, how many games have you played that let you do Tommy gun drive bys in a Duesenberg while listening to Django Reinhardt? The 50s means sports cars, stamped metal submachineguns, and Elvis. I don't have anything against any of these things, but they lack that touch of class we got in Mafia.

Edited by Aram

And it's not like they didn't have anywhere to go if they stuck to the 30s. There are a lot more guns and a whole lot more cars they could add to keep things new. I could name twenty or thirty off the top of my head I would have loved to see in Mafia. The whole time I played Mafia I thought of things missing; Delta blues music, the BAR, Bugattis, Bentleys, BMWs, motorcycles, Nazis. Firing a BAR out of a Bugatti window while listening to Blind Willie Johnson is my idea of a sequel.

Guns and cars, did I accidentally walk into a GTA thread? :) I don't know about you guys, but what carried Mafia for me and made it special was its focus on narration, and to keep that fresh they more or less have to move into a new timeframe, guns and cars are barely worth an expansion pack much less a sequel. I would agree partly about some music being missing, but that is neither worth a sequel, and there are a lot of awesome music in the 50s.

I agree with Jiminy.

kirottu said:

I'm kind of wondering if this game will start exactly where the last one left off, as in, we'll actually play as one of the two guys that performed the hit on the player character at the end of the first Mafia.

According to wikipedia the game will start in late 1940s, and Tommy was killed late 1950s if I remember correctly, so I would guess not. It also seems reasonable to start off outside the mafia, since the player caracther otherwise would have expeirenced important stuff that the player wouldn't have. It would also be pretty cool to get to kill tommy. :thumbsup:

Edit: Also wasn't the boss in the trailer called something else than sallieri? If so then Sallieri might very well not be the employer and the game would most likely take place somewhere else or at least with different people.

Edited by Moatilliatta