Game soundtracks

Pop

Well my favorite by far is not actually from a game but a mod of a game. The soundtrack to the Rome: Total Realism mod for Rome: Total War is simply outstanding. Far better than what actually is in the vanilla game.

If you want to give a listen check out the mod here. http://www.rometotalrealism.org/

If you download the mod it's easy to poke around in it and extract the audio files. I don't remember what format they are in but they convert to MPEGs easily enough.

I also loved the soundtrack to the original Medieval Total War. The new one, not so much.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

why isn't there a sad smilie... :lol:

:sad:

Completely illogical, but it is spelled out

:sad:

I miss the teary eyed smilie too.

As for favourite soundtracks, I guess most of my favourites are from 8 & 16 bit games. They may not have had 5.1 surround features, but those composers were creative enough to overcome the technical limitations of the hardware and create classics.

Most stuff featuring Rob Hubbard, Martin Galway, Paul Norman, Anthony Crowther, Ben Daglish & David Whittaker

Honorable mention to Jim Cuomo for the "Defender of the Crown" sound track.

As for recent games, favourite soundtracks would be:

VMBL, IWD, PS:T, Fallout & Kotor2.

Since I have only started MotB, I can't really add it to any list yet.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Oh yeah, Katamari Damacy had a pretty solid soundtrack too. But it was pretty annoying as when you stopped playing you'd still be humming those silly tunes.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Most of the time I barely notice the soundtracks in games ... or I turn them off completely.

So my choices are still ... hmm ... well ...

Stronghold for overall goodness.

Nox had a great theme and I liked a lot of the background/battle music as well.

Majesty has a great theme - but it didn't have a lot of music overall.

Someone mentioned Darkstone - I remember liking most of the background music from that one, too. Nothing stupendous, but pleasant and worked well with the game/set a nice mood.

Can't think of anything else off-hand. :ermm:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Am I the only one who's going to mention Martin O'donnell and the Halo (2 and 3, mostly) soundtrack? Seriously, that is one of best music in a videogame EVER.

Also:

Jamie Christopherson - Lost Planet: It has some really awesome battle music.

Jesse Harlin - Republic Commando: It's nice and vaires from the usual Star Wars soundtrack, and feels pretty epic.

Koh Otani - Shadow of the Colossus: Amazing soundtrack. Nothing else to say.

Tom Salta - GRAW: He made some very nice music for GRAW.

Stan Lepard - Crimson Skies: The soundtrack was nice, but not all that amazing.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

i like all of the old nintendo songs. hehehe mario is awesome. zelda too. not really a soundtrack but still....

"She was short, she was furry, she was loud, and she was determined to sell him a melon"- random passage from Spector of the Past by Timothy Zahn

Plenty of good music to be found in games. I can hardly call some that don't and I play.

Some of my favorites:

Dungeon Siege

Painkiller

Freelancer

PS:T

Unreal Tournaments

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Freelancer has its share of great tracks. Particularly the Bounty hunters and main battle themes along with the Kusari space ambient and the Badlands track.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

argh, i forgot one

BUBBLE BOBBLE!

Arghh, I remember that one! :cat:

Goes away, humming... dum dum, dum dum dum dum. dum dum dum dum...

*Pop!*

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Yep.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Best thing about JE, actually.

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Yeah, that and the visual flair.

kirottu said:

We're still talking about boobies, right?

Ugh, Dawn Star has most ****ed up body model in BIO game ever.

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Hmmm... I want to add more music variety to Bloodlines. Anyone here have an idea how I can do that?

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Bioshock, without question.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Oh yeah, Boiling Point had some pretty unusual but good music. I forgot the name of the guy playing but he plays on this really weird instrument and tours all over the world with it. I think he's from India..

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Hmmm... I want to add more music variety to Bloodlines. Anyone here have an idea how I can do that?

It's easy.

Not too easy. I was able to change the title track but when it came to changing the music for the dance clubs I keep on crashing the game.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"