KOTOR MMO's Biggest Threat: Metagame/Drama

In all the discussion about the KOTOR MMO, I think people may be forgetting one thing, the metagame/drama. We already see it in the debates over how powerful the Jedi should be in that MMO...here's a post about it, and I was wondering your throughts.

Er. As much as I hate MMOs, I actually...er...play in one.

Or, once played in one. But I hated the grind, so I quit. I won't name that MMO though, however, I do know of someone else who played in said MMO, so he might understand what's I'm talking about.

But I still remained around the forums and around the MMO community since I quit...and it has since been two years since I quit the game. And I'm still there.

The reason I'm there is not because I like anyone there per se, but because of the "drama" within the game. Not very good storytelling, but rather, flamewars, intrigues, hatred, and petty feuds. Over my term, I have seen several (alleged) powergrabs by the admins of the in-game wiki, a group of vandals organizing themselves into a gurellia force with the sole purpose of overthrowing the current admin staff, a banning by a moderator who was angry at the wiki and was alleged to help vandlize it by aiding the said gurellia force, the overturning of the said banning by a mob of pitch-fork-wielding users, huge mobs of people trying to claim that an event is/is not "important" (never mind that nobody outside of said game actually cares about it), a movement to attempt to try some decency within the wiki and try to make the wiki a bit of a more friendly place, meaning no curse words (it has been shut down either due to cries of free speech and the dubious belief that that insulting other people leads to a better community...as well as to the other extreme, that policies to enforce civility are too WEAK)...Currently, there is looking to be another new event over the idea of if the wiki is becoming too 'democratic' and if they should switch to a consesus system.

Oh, and don't forget the endless turf battles over in the "Suggestions" forums, where players try to pass up suggestions that only benieft their side and nerf the other side tremendously. Strangely enough, the "Suggestion" pages is the only page where the 'drama' of the game may actually affect the MMO.

And before you say I'm werid, many other people in that same game do exactly the same thing as I do. Just watch. It's fun. Some of these 'exiles' even run the wiki! And sometimes, I 'play' in the metagame, altough only to try and calm the situation down.

My point? Could a KOTOR MMO explode so that the 'MMO drama' becomes more important than the actual game? Don't forget, other MMOs suffer the same problem as my MMO. See www.wowdrama.org for instance. I could hear the newbies screaming "Buff Jedi! Sith are too weak!" already.

In all the discussion about the KOTOR MMO, I think people may be forgetting one thing, the metagame/drama. We already see it in the debates over how powerful the Jedi should be in that MMO...here's a post about it, and I was wondering your throughts.

Not sure what your trying to get at here Silent? I read the quoted peice and really the poster said nothing at all to be honest.

Seems to me the guy was complaining about forums (and if im reading right forums not owed or operated by game creater).

To the poster I would say, if you dont like the community there, try a different community. Different message forums offer different rules and experiences, you just have to look around to find them is all.

What I think you are talking about is the mess that was SWG. Listen SWG was miss ran from day one. Be it the game or the forums related to the game. Every "change" the mods made were not changes supported by the general public but changes that were requested by a small group of players that had the mods ears and were only out to benefit themselves and not the game over all.

The experiences people had in SWG should not be looked at as the norm for MMORPGs. Usually game designers look to create expansions and changes supported by the majority of players. This is why game changing changes and expansions almost always have a open beta/trial period before going live. SWG is the ONLY game I can think of that didnt let the player base have a say in general.

As for the "who should be more powerful" arguement. Thats easy. Jedi by design are more powerful then Bounty Hunters, end of topic and arguement.

That poster I quoted was me.

Seems to me the guy was complaining about forums (and if im reading right forums not owed or operated by game creater).

Sad to say, this forum is controlled by the game creator, nominally at least. So it's offical.

To the poster I would say, if you dont like the community there, try a different community. Different message forums offer different rules and experiences, you just have to look around to find them is all.

Already have. The communities I seen are indeed somewhat more friendly...but that's not the point. That's because those communites are populated by those who believe in the same thing. The "Good" side has their own forum, the "Evil" Side has their own forum, and the "Chaos" Side has their own forum. And there are indeed some people who are friendly. (Note that these are not the actual names of the sides in the MMO, I just used them for descriptive purposes)

Those people represent a small minority. The majority are violent, especially towards each other. The Evil and the Good side both have their own fanatics, caring only for themselves. And when the line is drawn on a big issue, everyone line up on the side they feel more aligned to.

What I think you are talking about is the mess that was SWG. Listen SWG was miss ran from day one. Be it the game or the forums related to the game. Every "change" the mods made were not changes supported by the general public but changes that were requested by a small group of players that had the mods ears and were only out to benefit themselves and not the game over all.

The experiences people had in SWG should not be looked at as the norm for MMORPGs.

Actually, you may be wrong. In many MMOs, what you say does occur, including in my MMO. Most developers only listen to the small minority, because the minority screams and vents. WoW, this MMO which I don't want to mention its name, Eve, etc. I've seen this story repeated over and over, of changes being made due to vents, due to screams of balance. Sad to say, what you described in SWG may happen again. As long as there is a metagame, as long as there are people who care about their character, there will be the fanactics.

As for the "who should be more powerful" arguement. Thats easy. Jedi by design are more powerful then Bounty Hunters, end of topic and arguement.

How much? And how much compared to Jedi? And obivously, Bounty Hunters would whine because Jedi would be more powerful. If you make Bounty Hunters angry, they would threaten to go on "STRIKE", threaten to leave the game unless Bounty Hunters and Jedi are 'balanced', and make the company lose money. Make the Jedi angry, and they'll vent too. Is "Homing Rocket Launcher" okay? Or does it weaken Jedi? Even this question can lead to huge debates between dedicated Bounty Hunters and decidated Jedi, and would ruin the game.

Edited by SilentScope001

1) Again find a different forum then to be apart of, Take this forum for example, I use to be a regular contributer here but because of posters like Tale coming In I rarley post or read here because truth be told, its just a waste of my time and energy to argue with someone so far below my level. He/She is below me. Sounds arogent but sadly its true. Id much rather spend time debateing with folks that challenge and expand my knowledge then argue about mundane things that dont matter.

2) well thing is, all forums always represent a small minority. Simple fact is the mass majority of players dont waste their times in forums, they spend time playing game. This the reason why I always been a advocate of in game polling by companies so they get a true representation of what the majority wants/needs.

3) Naaa, in many MMORPGS they only appear to listen to a small minority, fact is most MMORPGs dont listen to anyone at all. They only appear to listen to some group, appearence can be misleading.

For the record, Eve (I played when first released) isnt a true mmorpg. Because of that how it handles issues in fact would impact subscription base harder then a normal mmorpg. I have many freinds that remain playing it and they are very satisfied with the changes EvE has made over the years so not sure what your unhappy with.

4) How much is up to designers. Fact is though, be it a little or alot, jedi are stronger then bounty hunters and only the designers can answer how much or how little. However thats NOT up to the playing public. Never has been and never should be.

Edited by Kalfear

Kalfear needs a hug. I think we should all give him a hug.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."