Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Upcoming Hardware

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 10654 posts
So, it might be worth the wait and get a computer in second half of 2008 instead of first half?

Yeah, I know, there is always something new coming up soon, but I consider motherboards (and sockets) to be the backbone of a new system.

WITHTEETH

WITHTEETH

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1039 posts

Question: Intel has been using the same CPU socket for quite some time now, are there any plans for them to change to a new socket?

Yup. The bacth of processors comming out now is "pennryn" and the next one dubbed "nehalm", will supposedly feature some major changes so it wont be possible to use the LGA775 socket anymore.

I beg to differ.

Penryn is the blanket term for 45nm CPU's. They branch off as the Wolfsdale (2 core CPU) and the Yorkfield (2 Wolfdales = 4 core CPU). Penryn will also use the LGA775 socket. My own motherboard the Asus Commando LGA775 Socket, Intel 965P Chipset supports the 45nm processors(with a BIOS update.) Not all motherboards of course will support this update because of hardware or capitalism issues. For instance the Quad core (Yorkfield) Penryns look like they will have a 1600FSB, that can be a big problem hardware wise, also the voltage for the CPU's will be different, so cross your fingers and check your mobo manufacturer. The Wolfsdale will have a 1333FSB.

WITHTEETH

WITHTEETH

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1039 posts
Ahhh the quick edit option skipped a beat.

The Yorkfield is actually a 1333FSB and so is the Wolfsdale. Its the Skulltrail V8 that is 1600FSB.

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8561 posts
Speaking of upcoming hardware, not sure if this is true, but.. Diamond pulled the page and claim it "leaked":

http://img502.images...d3850pageq5.jpg

As usual, ATI looks good on paper.. probably plays like **** in real life. I'm still waiting with a glimmer of hope though.

Cantousent

Cantousent

Forum Moderator

• Validating
  • 5895 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
I've had some good luck with ATI in the past. Granted, some of that luck has come in the form of omega drivers and whatnot. ATI has had better products than folks are willing to credit them.

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8561 posts
Yea, me too. I went from a Nvidia Geforce Ti4600 to a ATI Radeon 9800PRO (best card EVER!) to a Geforce 7800GS to my current ATI Radeon 1950XTX.

It's time for me to upgrade but I can't figure out which card to buy. ATI has nothing on the market that fits me right now and after the 7800 debacle I am very reluctant to switch back to Nvidia and their horribly broken drivers. But the 8800GT looks so fiiiine!

Kaftan Barlast

Kaftan Barlast

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 4737 posts
  • Location:In the middle of the night when everything was still, she heard clawing and gnawing, nibbling and squabbling. She could hear the wolves in the walls, plotting their wolfish plots, hatching their wolfish schemes

Question: Intel has been using the same CPU socket for quite some time now, are there any plans for them to change to a new socket?

Yup. The bacth of processors comming out now is "pennryn" and the next one dubbed "nehalm", will supposedly feature some major changes so it wont be possible to use the LGA775 socket anymore.

I beg to differ.

Penryn is the blanket term for 45nm CPU's. They branch off as the Wolfsdale (2 core CPU) and the Yorkfield (2 Wolfdales = 4 core CPU). Penryn will also use the LGA775 socket. My own motherboard the Asus Commando LGA775 Socket, Intel 965P Chipset supports the 45nm processors(with a BIOS update.) Not all motherboards of course will support this update because of hardware or capitalism issues. For instance the Quad core (Yorkfield) Penryns look like they will have a 1600FSB, that can be a big problem hardware wise, also the voltage for the CPU's will be different, so cross your fingers and check your mobo manufacturer. The Wolfsdale will have a 1333FSB.

Well, the Nehalem does not use a front sid bus at all, so I doubt it will work with LGA775 motherboards.

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8561 posts

It's time for me to upgrade but I can't figure out which card to buy. ATI has nothing on the market that fits me right now and after the 7800 debacle I am very reluctant to switch back to Nvidia and their horribly broken drivers.

Like I was saying..

http://www.elitebast...mp;limitstart=1

Crap like this is what I don't need.

Cantousent

Cantousent

Forum Moderator

• Validating
  • 5895 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Interesting. I've already hitched my horse to the 8800, so I'll be able to tell you first hand how it looks.

WITHTEETH

WITHTEETH

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1039 posts

Speaking of upcoming hardware, not sure if this is true, but.. Diamond pulled the page and claim it "leaked":

http://img502.images...d3850pageq5.jpg

As usual, ATI looks good on paper.. probably plays like **** in real life. I'm still waiting with a glimmer of hope though.

The rumor mills say these cards will be super cheap because of the 55nm, and price war. I read that the 3870 will be around $200 but i can't give you any credible source. Maybe Ill wait till this comes out. I've only had 1 ATI graphic card the 9500pro. It rocked! The best $130 I ever spent on a computer.

Kaftan Barlast

Kaftan Barlast

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 4737 posts
  • Location:In the middle of the night when everything was still, she heard clawing and gnawing, nibbling and squabbling. She could hear the wolves in the walls, plotting their wolfish plots, hatching their wolfish schemes

Nvidia and their horribly broken drivers.

I wish that wasnt true, but it is. Nvidia's drivers took a plunge about the time when Vista was released. My Geforce8 runs better than my 7, but its not like it used to be :huh:

@\NightandtheShape/@

@\NightandtheShape/@

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1561 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Grimmling
Huh? I ain't had even a minor issue...

WITHTEETH

WITHTEETH

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1039 posts

Huh? I ain't had even a minor issue...

There were MAJOR problems with forceware and Oblivion, especially when compared to ATI.

Kaftan Barlast

Kaftan Barlast

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 4737 posts
My Gf7900GTX has glitches in almost every game. The latest on being Call of Duty 4, where textures turn black at random.

..compared to a few years ago where Nvidia was solid performance, and ATI sucked

@\NightandtheShape/@

@\NightandtheShape/@

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1561 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Grimmling

My Gf7900GTX has glitches in almost every game. The latest on being Call of Duty 4, where textures turn black at random.

..compared to a few years ago where Nvidia was solid performance, and ATI sucked

I ain't played COD 4 so I couldn't say... I really haven't had a problem though.

metadigital

metadigital

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 15352 posts
Some info:
Vista vs XP Pro
Skulltrail supports Quad SLi
Intel to stop single core production
512GB Solid State drives

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8561 posts
Hmm, maybe Bokishi is right after all. It sounds like Vista has shaped up pretty nicely since the last XP comparison I saw.

I'll wait for the SP1 before I make up my mind about it.

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6451 posts
I'm always right lol

WITHTEETH

WITHTEETH

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1039 posts

Some info:
Skulltrail supports Quad SLi

Huh, what wall socket will be able to take a gaming hog with Quad SLI?

Geeze i have to much time on my hands to make an image like this...

Attached Files

Edited by WITHTEETH, 08 November 2007 - 03:38 PM.

Cantousent

Cantousent

Forum Moderator

• Validating
  • 5895 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Bokishi is right. A lot of what I had just plain looks better in Vista. I guess you could call me a convert to the "Bok way." Like Vista 64 I do!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users