Upcoming Hardware

Azure79

Yea, me too. I went from a Nvidia Geforce Ti4600 to a ATI Radeon 9800PRO (best card EVER!) to a Geforce 7800GS to my current ATI Radeon 1950XTX.

It's time for me to upgrade but I can't figure out which card to buy. ATI has nothing on the market that fits me right now and after the 7800 debacle I am very reluctant to switch back to Nvidia and their horribly broken drivers. But the 8800GT looks so fiiiine!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Question: Intel has been using the same CPU socket for quite some time now, are there any plans for them to change to a new socket?

Yup. The bacth of processors comming out now is "pennryn" and the next one dubbed "nehalm", will supposedly feature some major changes so it wont be possible to use the LGA775 socket anymore.

I beg to differ.

Penryn is the blanket term for 45nm CPU's. They branch off as the Wolfsdale (2 core CPU) and the Yorkfield (2 Wolfdales = 4 core CPU). Penryn will also use the LGA775 socket. My own motherboard the Asus Commando LGA775 Socket, Intel 965P Chipset supports the 45nm processors(with a BIOS update.) Not all motherboards of course will support this update because of hardware or capitalism issues. For instance the Quad core (Yorkfield) Penryns look like they will have a 1600FSB, that can be a big problem hardware wise, also the voltage for the CPU's will be different, so cross your fingers and check your mobo manufacturer. The Wolfsdale will have a 1333FSB.

Well, the Nehalem does not use a front sid bus at all, so I doubt it will work with LGA775 motherboards.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

It's time for me to upgrade but I can't figure out which card to buy. ATI has nothing on the market that fits me right now and after the 7800 debacle I am very reluctant to switch back to Nvidia and their horribly broken drivers.

Like I was saying..

http://www.elitebastards.com/cms/index.php...mp;limitstart=1

Crap like this is what I don't need.

Interesting. I've already hitched my horse to the 8800, so I'll be able to tell you first hand how it looks.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Speaking of upcoming hardware, not sure if this is true, but.. Diamond pulled the page and claim it "leaked":

http://img502.imageshack.us/my.php?image=d...d3850pageq5.jpg

As usual, ATI looks good on paper.. probably plays like **** in real life. I'm still waiting with a glimmer of hope though.

The rumor mills say these cards will be super cheap because of the 55nm, and price war. I read that the 3870 will be around $200 but i can't give you any credible source. Maybe Ill wait till this comes out. I've only had 1 ATI graphic card the 9500pro. It rocked! The best $130 I ever spent on a computer.

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

Nvidia and their horribly broken drivers.

I wish that wasnt true, but it is. Nvidia's drivers took a plunge about the time when Vista was released. My Geforce8 runs better than my 7, but its not like it used to be :huh:

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

My Gf7900GTX has glitches in almost every game. The latest on being Call of Duty 4, where textures turn black at random.

..compared to a few years ago where Nvidia was solid performance, and ATI sucked

My Gf7900GTX has glitches in almost every game. The latest on being Call of Duty 4, where textures turn black at random.

..compared to a few years ago where Nvidia was solid performance, and ATI sucked

I ain't played COD 4 so I couldn't say... I really haven't had a problem though.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

Hmm, maybe Bokishi is right after all. It sounds like Vista has shaped up pretty nicely since the last XP comparison I saw.

I'll wait for the SP1 before I make up my mind about it.

Huh, what wall socket will be able to take a gaming hog with Quad SLI?

Geeze i have to much time on my hands to make an image like this...

post-12325-1194564995_thumb.jpg

Edited by WITHTEETH

Myspace Website!

My rig

Bokishi is right. A lot of what I had just plain looks better in Vista. I guess you could call me a convert to the "Bok way." Like Vista 64 I do!

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

OK, ATI may have a winner on their hands after all!

"The Sapphire HD 3780 is by far the best video card that I have ever tested by ATi."

Source: http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/sapphire_hd_3870/

It's better than the 8800 GTS 640MB at higher resolutions and it costs HALF of that card!

I would get TWO HD 3870 for the same price I paid for my aging X1950XTX! Pretty sweet.

NVidia always had the better tech, but ATI always seems to have more stable drivers. With the release of the X3870 I am seriously rethinking my desire to get a 8800GT. The only drawback witht he new ATI card is that it is still takes two slots withthe 8800GT takes up one.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Honestly, from the reviews and benchmarks a lot of these cards sound nice. BUT I want to play Unreal 3 max'd out. I want to play all the games that are out now, and i want there engines to be good use on my computer. With the graphic card benchies I've seen, i can only get good benches, not F'n great. I'll just wait till the new gen of graphic cards comes around. I have a 7900GTO, which is decent enough to play the games I already own.

Any news on DNForever?

Myspace Website!

My rig

Yeah, it will be released after Battletoads 7 is out.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

• 2 months later...

Looks like my poor old arthritis ridden PC has to survive for almost a full year still http://www.dailytech.com/Gearing+Up+for+Ne...article9823.htm

Maybe another 6 months on top of that to avoid the first production batches :sad:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

• 2 weeks later...