Upcoming Hardware

Azure79

Hey everyone,

I've got a little over 1K saved up for my new computer so far. I'm planning to have around 2500-3000 by late Jan. or Feb. next year. I'm planning on getting an entirely new system as my current one is a relic from the AGP days and was wondering what upcoming hardware I should be keeping my eye out for.

I've heard the rumblings of the new Penryn processors and new DX 10.1 cards on this board. Anything else of interest that is coming up?

Of course I might not get the latest and greatest, but this new computer must last me for the next 5 years or so since I'll be poor and destitute. (leaving my current job and going back to school to chase down my dream:) ) So I'm looking for things that will last relatively well for a couple of years.

Thanks for the insights

I'm looking to buy a new monitor too.

What are the display port monitors? Goes off to look them up.

Wow, those are some nice looking monitors. Might be out of my price range though, but I'll keep track of them.

Edited by Azure79

I put together a system for my sister that was JUST over 1k. It's quite nice, with core duo processor, 8800 video card, 2 GB of memory, and a decent power supply. You can do it, Azure!

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Make sure you get a bomb motherboard, you WILL NOT REGRET IT. The motherboard is the back bone of your entire computer, it determines what you can and cannot upgrade.

I bought the Asus Commando back in March and love it, it supports the new 1333FSB 45nm CPU's too, but Asus has newer motherboards out already with other RAM options and soon to support PCIE 2.0

The Penryn Yorkfeild (quad) 45nm processors look impressive. that paired with a 9800 series card is what i would want.

The Coolermaster Cosmos Case looks pretty cool btw :)

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

The PSU is enough assuming it's not some no-name piece of crap that doesn't deliver what it promises to do.

I have no idea if you'll be bottlenecked by your CPU. It wouldn't surprise me though.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Bit of advice, save money and buy a more reasonable case.

Sis is using the abit IP35 motherboard (nods at mkreku) and it's working very nicely. If you're looking at 1k, then you have to take into account where you want your horsepower. I suggested the 8800 because you can get a decent card and still have money left over for solid choices in other areas. The Motherboard is important, but you can get a decent motherboard for relatively cheap compared to the video card.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Oh, my budget isn't 1K, its currently where my computer fund is at after I'd scrimped, saved and bascially been called a cheap bastard for the past three months. I'm saving up for different things at the same time (school tuition and future living expenses is a huge chunk) so its slow going. My overall goal is to reach somewhere between 2500-3000 during the 1st quarter next year, which is why I'm asking about upcoming hardware I want to keep my eye on.

I read that the new 8800GT is killer though, performs nearly on par with cards that cost 200 bucks more. I almost went out at ordered it but I must be patient. :)

For PSU's, look at the amperage (A) rating on the 12V rail(s). I'm not entirely sure what requirements the latest GPUs/CPUs have, but a couple of years back dual-rail 12V PSU's with ~18Amps per rail (total 36A) was considered good, and single-rail 12V's with 30A-35A was good.

I got sis a thermaltake PSU. Mine is a Rosewill. It's huge and barely fit in my huge case. I had to dissemble part of the case to get the PSU into it. However, it runs cool and has a boatload of power. As all things in my computer, it's more than I need, but I LIKE it. My case itself doesn't fit in my old computer desk. I should really get a better computer desk, come to think of it.

Obsidian Plays

I got sis a thermaltake PSU. Mine is a Rosewill. It's huge and barely fit in my huge case. I had to dissemble part of the case to get the PSU into it. However, it runs cool and has a boatload of power. As all things in my computer, it's more than I need, but I LIKE it. My case itself doesn't fit in my old computer desk. I should really get a better computer desk, come to think of it.

Let me get this right, you got an oversized PSU, therefore you needed to expand the casing, therefore you need a better computer desk? :thumbsup:

I am following this thread with much interest, since I am looking for a new computer after New Year, at a time where my economy will (hopefully) have recovered enough not to have to compromise too much on the price/quality scale. March is probably the starting shot for my shopping spree.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I am following this thread with much interest, since I am looking for a new computer after New Year, at a time where my economy will (hopefully) have recovered enough not to have to compromise too much on the price/quality scale. March is probably the starting shot for my shopping spree.

The only help you can get from this thread is for your PSU and case. By march we'll be discussing the ATI 3X00 series and Nvidia's 9X00 series.. and we've probably all upgraded to motherboards with DDR3 too. Who knows what kind of CPU's are available at that time. I'm hoping AMD has made a huge comeback.. as well as ATI. But I very much doubt it.

Question: Intel has been using the same CPU socket for quite some time now, are there any plans for them to change to a new socket?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Question: Intel has been using the same CPU socket for quite some time now, are there any plans for them to change to a new socket?

Yup. The bacth of processors comming out now is "pennryn" and the next one dubbed "nehalm", will supposedly feature some major changes so it wont be possible to use the LGA775 socket anymore.

"nehalem" will be on sale in the second half of 2008.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

So, it might be worth the wait and get a computer in second half of 2008 instead of first half?

Yeah, I know, there is always something new coming up soon, but I consider motherboards (and sockets) to be the backbone of a new system.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Yup. The bacth of processors comming out now is "pennryn" and the next one dubbed "nehalm", will supposedly feature some major changes so it wont be possible to use the LGA775 socket anymore.

I beg to differ.

Penryn is the blanket term for 45nm CPU's. They branch off as the Wolfsdale (2 core CPU) and the Yorkfield (2 Wolfdales = 4 core CPU). Penryn will also use the LGA775 socket. My own motherboard the Asus Commando LGA775 Socket, Intel 965P Chipset supports the 45nm processors(with a BIOS update.) Not all motherboards of course will support this update because of hardware or capitalism issues. For instance the Quad core (Yorkfield) Penryns look like they will have a 1600FSB, that can be a big problem hardware wise, also the voltage for the CPU's will be different, so cross your fingers and check your mobo manufacturer. The Wolfsdale will have a 1333FSB.

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

Speaking of upcoming hardware, not sure if this is true, but.. Diamond pulled the page and claim it "leaked":

http://img502.imageshack.us/my.php?image=d...d3850pageq5.jpg

As usual, ATI looks good on paper.. probably plays like **** in real life. I'm still waiting with a glimmer of hope though.

I've had some good luck with ATI in the past. Granted, some of that luck has come in the form of omega drivers and whatnot. ATI has had better products than folks are willing to credit them.

Obsidian Plays