The Bargain Thread

Big Bottom

I just noticed that Vampire: Bloodlines is only 10 bucks on Steam....10 bucks! I've bought it even though I have a copy on disc just because I find Steam very handy since I can download onto any machine and I don't need to bother with CDs or game cracks and I can give my boxed copy to someone else now. You could call that a waste of money, and I guess you're right, but I'm drunk and it's my birfhday.

I really enjoy Uplink. I just haven't made any time for it in a while.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Thanks for the note. By the same token a 'certain' major online retailer has put up the complete Angel boxset for a 65% discount in the UK. I ordered it immediately.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Apparently HMV.co.uk is having 15% off this wednesday (today) and Thursday with a promo code. Too bad most the crap they sell won't work with the stuff I own.

Edited by Tale

What's Nexus like?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

On the simplest level, it's a Navel simulator in space. You control between 1 and 8 ships in a strategy view, but each ship in itself itself is a living entity, with various hardpoints for weapons, engines, generators and sheilds that can be customised to your will.

For example, pile lasers on a pair of frigates and have them target subsystems, disabling engines or destroying weapons so that your cruisers have an easier time pumbling the hull.

Ships can carry fighters, various sensor arrays and backup engines for emergancies, and part of your job tends to be balancing subsystems so that power goes where it's needed. For example, sheilds taking a beating? Disable sensors so as to divert more power to keeping them online. Different weapons can be fired at different ships at the same time or disabled when they wouldn't be appropreate (for example, anti-sheild weapons when attacking a hull).

So far so startrek, but there are two other things to note about this game. 1) it's a lot of fun, and while it requires intelligence and mircromanagement, and a willingness to get your butt kicked learning the ropes, you can play the game without feeling like a complete dork because:

2) it's beautiful.

jupiter-bigship.jpg

jupiter-underfire.jpg

gameplay videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46G7-9BdNmM

There's also a rather brutal demo around somewhere.

Edited by Nick_i_am

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Everyone should try Nexus:Jupiter Incident. It's nerdy as hell, but also incredibly engrossing.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I looked at it a bit yesterday, seems to be primarily multiplayer focused. Can't say I'm too keen on that.

Nexus? I thought they shut down the MP servers because nobody was actually playing it.

No, it's got an extensive and satisfying campain, and while Llyranor and I played the MP demo to death, I only ever played the Singleplayer in the full game and easily felt like I got my money's worth. It's the lengh and quality that you'd expect from a full game.

Hadescopy.jpg

Your face is multiplayer focused and I can't say I'm too keen on that.

Granted, the single-player isn't exactly stellar, but the high point really is the amount of depth the ships have, not epic space opera.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Yeah, reminded me of Ground Control actually.

kirottu said:

That might change after Christmas. If it can be done overseas. The question is, are you up for it?

kirottu said:

I've actually been stuck in the 8th or 9th NSA mission in the sequel for the better part of a year. I love the game, it's just that I can't pass that mission for the life of me. I'm well aware of how the game plays, dear jerkface.

kirottu said:

Nice thing is that most of the missions are actually *designed* for coop, with your attention needed on multiple fronts at the same time.

Which can, yeah, make them pretty annoying in single player.

Too bad their next game, Conflict (which seems to be very much based on GC2) is completely lacking a coop campain.

Edited by Nick_i_am

Hadescopy.jpg