Xbox 360

I played through a few of the recruit missions tonight. I'm a bit of a , no make that a total noob to this series. But I'm liking it so far. I just wish I could customize my name like to something cool like Private Parts or Major Woody.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

I wasn't going to get the game at full price because of the lack of a co-op campaign. However, I did trade it in for some old useless games. The multiplayer is a lot more fun than I had expected, I'm pretty impressed. Jerkface is going to get it around Xmas-time. It plays very differently from H3, so they could complement each other quite well.

"Baby duty"

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

I played the PC demo. It plays more or less the same way, except the 360 version doesn't allow you to lean. I don't particularly miss the feature, though. If you have more dexterity than, say, Hades, then you should have no problem with the 360 version.

Depends why you'd get the game. If you want to MP with us, then you know what version to get. If you have your own brand of PC gamers, then that's another option. If you want to post on gaming forums and brag about how your PC can run COD4 so flawlessly at high settings and post screenshots, you can also opt for the highly superior PC version. For the SP (which is apparently short), I doubt there's much difference either way. The game runs at 60FPS on the 360.

Hadescopy.jpg

Can anyone please explain to me how circle strafe works with a gamepad?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

You have two analog sticks. The left one is used for moving forward/back and strafing - the equivalent of WASD. The right one is for looking around/aiming, like the mouse. Sure, it's not as efficient as KB/M, but once you're used to it, it becomes pretty easy. I can't say I miss KB/M much, despite the advantage.

Hadescopy.jpg

But are there sensitivity settings for the right analog stick? Isn't the aiming very slow/imprecise when compared to the mouse? One recent game I tried with a gamepad was Resident Evil 4, and the aiming was godawful.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Most of the games I've played *have* had pretty low sensitivity, making for quite slow aiming; but they usually have a good array of options. You can have it turn around very fast if you want.

I can't attest to the PS2 controller, but I found the GC controller pretty horrible for 'FPS' controls while playing through a bit of Metroid Prime. The 360 controller, in contrast, I found to be easy to get into. The actual gamepad likely makes a big difference.

Hadescopy.jpg

Hey, is the backwards compaitibilty aspects worth getting into or am I better off playing the old XBox games on the old Xbox?

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

A few games look better on the 360 due to antialiasing (e.g. Ninja Gaiden), most games in the compatibility list play and look fine, and a few games don't run too well (e.g. Fable). All in all, if you're only interested in Xbox games, I'd say you're better off playing them on the original box, but a 360 does pretty ok too for most titles if you only want to keep one console.

It's interesting that Fable supposedly runs poorly. Isn't that one of the games they were offering as downloadable over XBox Live for the system?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Kotor also has some more lag, I think, not to mention sound problems in the second one.

Also, Halo 2 has burn-in issues.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Heh, I remember those Halo2 burns. Almost thought there was something wrong with the TV.

Overall, though, what Xbox games I've played on the 360 (Halo 1/2, Ninja Gaiden Black, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Crimson Skies, Megaman Anniversary Collection, Jade Empire, Thief 3) have run pretty well.

Hadescopy.jpg

Though I'm surprised none work better than on the old Xbox.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Though I'm surprised none work better than on the old Xbox.

Like I said, Ninja Gaiden does look better, but it's an exception. Do keep in mind that the 360 uses 3 relatively anaemic PowerPC CPUs and a very unconventional ATi GPU while the Xbox had a standard wide Pentium3 CPU and an nVidia GeForce3. These are pretty much as different as two architectures can be, so the 360 has to rely on a combination of software emulation and dynamic binary translation to get the job done. Given that there isn't really a huuuge difference in computational capabilities between the two platforms, I am actually shocked the 360 manages to do what it does so well. MS must have had some truly exceptional programmers working on BC.

Or, they might have pulled the PS3 BC trick without telling anybody. :sorcerer:

Edit: Nick said the same thing... didn't see his post.

Edited by angshuman

Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction looked a bit better as well.

Darned best 3rd person action game since Ninja Gaiden.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Campaign co-op! Near endless jungle! Mad cultists and explosions! Carpet bombing the **** out of your mate!

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds