Upgrading my new laptop

ramza

I just got a new vaio laptop FE41E series. It is very fast and runs games very smoothly. I have yet to try games with high specifications like Oblivion, NWN2 and the Witcher. I am not sure if I will be able to play those games, and that is why I was wondering whether I should add 1 extra Gb of RAM or not. Should I do this or do I run the risk of messing up my new pc? risk of overheating maybe? Keep in mind that I am no computer expert...

relevant links:

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Sony_VAIO_FE41E_Core..._4_TFT__6631340

http://www.orcalogic.co.uk/asp/Sony_VAIO_L...y-27538-m-1.htm

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

I have 1 Gb RAM at the moment. I want to upgrade it to 2Gb.

My current graphic card is a Geforce 7400. I don't intend upgrading it since that would cost a lot of money.

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

You can't really upgrade a GPU in a laptop. The only things you can change easily is memory configuration and hard drives.

Take a look at the second link I posted. It IS possible to upgrade my laptop's RAM. However, I don't know if doing so will damage my computer in one way or another (I am particularly worried about overheating issues).

Buying another Gb of RAM is completely safe, it wont cause any overheating problems. Its the CPU and hardrives who will do that

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

You can't really upgrade a GPU in a laptop. The only things you can change easily is memory configuration and hard drives.

Take a look at the second link I posted. It IS possible to upgrade my laptop's RAM. However, I don't know if doing so will damage my computer in one way or another (I am particularly worried about overheating issues).

I dont know if you misunderstood mkreku but GPU = graphics processing unit = video card. Your video card would be hard/impossible to upgrade. Unless I misunderstood you. :yes:

Edited by Gfted1

I've got a smaller, older VAIO (VGN-S560P), and upgrading the RAM to 2GB was the best single upgrade I've ever made to a PC. I'm still using it with no complaints. Be sure and shop around for the RAN ... I found mine for about 1/4 the price it would have cost me to upgrade through Sony.

It's very unlikly that you'll notice any extra heat from the RAM - most of mine comes from the CPU and GPU

• 2 weeks later...