Atari announces Neverwinter Nights 2: Mysteries of Westgate

Kelverin

Uuh, premium modules finally.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I'm happy that one of the Ossian guys posted on the Bioware forums that this would be "meatier" so to speak than the NWN1 premium mods. I tried most of them out (can't remember which one I'm missing at the moment), and the only one that I felt was truly worth buying was Wyvern Crown of Cormyr, and even there I lost interest somewhere in the middle.. Some of the others were all-right, but at the same time there are plenty of user-made mods that really wees all over them. :blink:

These guys also made Darkness over Daggerford which I think was gonna be a premium module at first. I liked this mod, but I think it lacked the true 'oomph' so to speak. It did most things well, but it didn't really stand out in my mind (and just like with Wyvern Crown, I ended up just losing interest after a while).

It's pretty likely I'll pay up for this though, as long as it isn't to expensive and is not completely the opposite of what I want in a RPG. Hopefully it'll be good.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Here's to hoping this premium mod isn't 30 minutes of gameplay followed by a "to be continued" that is never continued.

That was the silly thing about Shadowguard. Witch's Wake was longer, but still had the "to be continued" problem. How long have we been waiting for Witch's Wake 2, now?

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I won't buy it on digital alone. Made that mistake once and never going to do that again. When it comes out on disc then I will consider buying it.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Meh! Where is my NWN2 XP2? :verymad:

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

...in Autumn 2007.

Ooh, not long to wait then. :verymad:

I agree with the comment about Darkness over Daggerford being good but lacking something. However, if this module is as much of an improvement over that as Mask of the Betrayer was over the NWN2 OC, I'll be very happy.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I won't buy it on digital alone. Made that mistake once and never going to do that again. When it comes out on disc then I will consider buying it.

I'm sure once they have a few modules, they'll do a full re-release of the game like they did with NWN.

It'll probably be a mid to higher-level module, seeing as the only interesting thing about Westgate is that it's ruled by a cabal of vampires. Which can mean only one thing: Mean spirited, kick-em-while-they're-down digs at Troika. Can't wait.

Any indications of how long this has been in production? Does Ossian studios just provide extra content for preexisting games? And for that matter, will there be more modder-friendly stuff?

Edited by Pop

I really wasn't fond of the internet varification process with NwN 1 premium modules and I hope NwN 2 modules don't use the same system. Even when you load after dying it would do a varification so internet access was a must. They did eventually release most of the premium modules on a CD which was a nice alternative.

NwN 1 Premium Modules varied in quality. Some were, unfortunatly, utter garbage. I have nothing against dungeon crawls, I loved Icewind Dale and still play it, but Infinite Dungeons was mind numbing repetition combined with ridiculous monster groups, lame random quests and horrendous load times (6+ minutes in larger dungeons). Shadowguard & Witches Wake had some great starts and settings but ended just as you started getting into them.

I'd have to say my favorites were Pirates of the Sword Coast (great sense of humor, variety, locations, characters and had actual endings) and Kingmaker. Wyvern Crown had some good moments too, but just didn't strike me as much as the aforementioned shorter (but also complete) modules.

I'm glad the first NwN 2 premium module is coming from Ossian, as I think they did a fantastic job on Darkness Over Daggerford. I wonder why DOD was cancelled as a premium module, as it was better than almost all of the Premium Modules put together imho. There was another planned Premium Module that was cancelled, Tyrants of the Moonsea, but I can see why it was cancelled as it was the third in a trilogy (Siege of Shadowdale - Crimson Tides of Tethyr and Tyrants), and was a bit harsher than most official NwN content. The trilogy is actually quite good though, with Siege being the weak point and Crimson Tides being the best imho.

As far as I can tell, Darkness over Daggerfall was cancelled as a premium module because the entire premium module program for Neverwinter Nights 1 was canned. There may be other reasons.

Edited by Tale

I generally enjoyed NWN1's premium mods. Mind you, I only got Shadowguard/Witch's Wake, Kingmaker and Pirates of the Sword Coast. They each provided a few hours of content. In terms of cost/value, it wasn't bad - the problem was that the content itself (story/writing/characters) was not that great, so I didn't bother with the ones that came up after that. But that's more my issue with Bioware.

NWN2 DD is a great thing. I'd gladly support Obsidian-made mods. This, we'll have to see.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Which can mean only one thing: Mean spirited, kick-em-while-they're-down digs at Troika. Can't wait.

kick 'em while they're down? heck, they're gone and have been for far too long for digs to mean anything. that said, there is some poetic justice even still, hehe. :thumbsup:

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I've played DOD, WW and Kingmaker - thought they were fun. In fact, it's a real pity Witch's Wake was discontinued. Brings a tear to mine eye, it does.

We'll see how big this one is, eh? Also, FR Lore people, where's Westgate?

We'll see how big this one is, eh? Also, FR Lore people, where's Westgate?

It's south across the dragonmere from Cormyr (I bet that means a whole lot to you)

I'll put up some scans here in a few.

Here we be

westgatelolhi6.jpg

It's there at the end of that line that goes through the words "The Dragon Coast"

Edited by Pop

Dang, I was hoping this was the next expansion from Obsidian. I can't say I was impressed by the Premium modules, either in content or dedication of the designers ... they showed some promise but obviously their return wasn't sufficient to motivate anyone to carry the effort onward ...

-_-

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Dang, I was hoping this was the next expansion from Obsidian. I can't say I was impressed by the Premium modules, either in content or dedication of the designers ... they showed some promise but obviously their return wasn't sufficient to motivate anyone to carry the effort onward ...

:w00t:

Did you try the free cancelled premium module Darkness Over Daggerford? It was created by Ossian Studios, currently working on this new NwN 2 premium module and it was quite impressive. It was almost as long as the expansions and was very enjoyable, so I actually have high hopes for Mysteries of Westgate.

About my only concern is how these digital downloads will be handled. I'm really hoping it doesn't feature online authentication nonsense every time you want to load the module up or load a save game. -_-

"Vaasa"

:lol:

I can't believe I forgot that place.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

"Vaasa"

:lol:

I can't believe I forgot that place.

Heh, yeah :lol:

What kind of place Westgate is? I know nothing about it :)

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Westgate is a place of filth and corruption. You can buy almost everything there, and can find almost everything also. As long as you can afford it. It is sometimes called the 'Dark Waterdeep'.

Believe me, you wont be disappointed. We worked hard on MoW to create a great roleplaying experience. Sadly we cant answer any questions yet.

Edited by Evil

Sadly we cant answer any questions yet.

Why not?