I have a question

Pop

So I have a laptop, and I'm trying to get Deus Ex to work on it.

Problem.

When I try and play it, the game is accelerated. As in, it runs fine, except that everything is moving much faster than normal. From the opening "swoop in" credits to character movement. It makes the game very difficult to play, especially when the radio transmissions (which sound as if they're going at normal speed) cut off halfway through. I'm at a loss, and I suspect it has something to do with the processor.

Pentium 4 2.0 Ghz processor

ATI Radeon 7500 chipset

512 mb RAM

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Yeah, I get this when I boot up my laptop after it's been off for a while over night in the attic ... in other words when it is really cold. Seems to be a link between the (configurable) maximum rendering framerate and the speed of the processor(s).

If it doesn't slow down after the laptop warms up (typically a few minutes of high-energy aerobic graphics working-out), you might like to check the Vertical Synchrony setting, because it locks in a maximum of 60fps and your GPU can probably do twice that, hence the NPCs all move with far too much alacrity.

I guess you could also farm out some of your GPU resources to the searching for ETs or folding proteins, or such, too ... :)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

i recall some of the old C-64 games that were ported to work on modern PCs used to do this. fortunately, some of them came with timer adjustments (as i recall), that let you insert delays between operations to allow operation at normal human perception ability. otherwise, everything looked like it was on a perma-haste spell.

taks

comrade taks... just because.