A farewell Thread

Rosbjerg

Well I just wanted to tell you guys that from the 1st of November 2007 and until the 28th of April 2008 - I'm gonna be in India - so 20 days from now I'm off.

I won't be in areas with internet very often, but I'm gonna be opening a webpage were I'll upload pictures and stories, when I am. If any of you are interested just throw me a PM with your email and I'll send you the link when it's up.

One of the reason for opening this thread was also to see if any of you'd been in India - and if there are some places that you think I should see/shouldn't miss?

Fortune favors the bald.

1. Take your anti-malarials.

2. Get good health insurance. MEMORISE the details.

3. Keep a photocpy of your passport and travellers cheques separate from the originals.

4. Carry several pairs of pliers, a big needle, black silk, gaffer tape. Virtually any situation can be resolved with same.

5. Mosquito nets are good for keeping out snakes, 'roaches, and rats, not just mozzies.

6. Don't settle for insect repellent less than 90% deet.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

No worries. Arm for bear and you get sharks, in my exp tho'. ;)

WRT travel I'm no expert on India, and in any case local conditions are always changing. The best advice is to stay alert and watch everything. This is good not just because it protects you but because it means you're noticing more and getting a better experience. Beyond that you should certainly steer clear of the fringe regions like kashmir and provinces abutting Bangladesh. These regions are suffering insurgencies/banditry.

EDIT:

MOST IMPORTANTLY

_ACT_ on your bad vibes. You'd be amazed how many people say they saw troube coming but were embarassed to do anything about it. I'm sure there are foriegners worldiwde going about tehir normal harmless business who were amazed to see an Englishman suddenly dive into a hedge and run off into the distance. But there are also several disappointed hoodlums who have seen the same.

By the same token don't automatically assume locals know best. If you think the kind invitation to go up into the hills on a trek is crazy, then turn it down. Be polite, but firm. Offer to take your hosts out for a day in town instead.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Be wary of ex-pats and their take on any issue, but don't discount it either.

Always ask around if you need anything - everyone knows someone who knows someone who can do it better than anyone you could have found yourself.

Register with your embassy as soon as you arrive. They may invite you to fun things, but more importantly they'll know where you are if there's a problem.

I've never been to India, but have a number of colleagues from Kerala, so perhaps that's a place to consider going? They say it's very friendly there.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I've never been to India, but have a number of colleagues from Kerala, so perhaps that's a place to consider going? They say it's very friendly there.

we're going through the area (which is quite big) on our way to the southern tip of India - We are stopping at Mangalore and moving south from there.

(wow this quickly turned into a moderator thread :aiee: )

Fortune favors the bald.

(wow this quickly turned into a moderator thread :lol: )

Not anymore.

Good luck, and have fun.

I had no idea Walsingham was this paranoid. :aiee:

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

See ya, Ros. Eat nothing but local, listen to nothing but local and embrace the six months like they were your last. I'm beyond envious, heh.

This is voluntary aid work or the like, right?

PM sent.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

(wow this quickly turned into a moderator thread :lol: )

Not anymore.

Good luck, and have fun.

I had no idea Walsingham was this paranoid. :aiee:

You haven't been paying attention then.

Good luck Rosbjerg, PM with my email should be in your inbox after I post this.

Edited by Fenghuang

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

Been to India once. The ship's head cook got ran over while we were there. Word of advice, learn to dodge quickly.

Um... Avoid cow tipping. Some of the locals might get annoyed.

Yeah.

CHEERS!

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

See ya, Ros. Eat nothing but local, listen to nothing but local and embrace the six months like they were your last. I'm beyond envious, heh.

This is voluntary aid work or the like, right?

PM sent.

Good luck Rosbjerg, PM with my email should be in your inbox after I post this.

I'll be sure to follow your advice Mus? :aiee:

and I sent you an update on what I'm doing there - but for the readers at home; It's not aid work - I'm going to India to write a book (technically to help a friend write a book) and help another friend build a hotel in the middle of a desert (she's incidentally from Norway - which should explain how she got the idea)..

and to both of you - PMs recieved and I'll send you the link once the page is up - it'll be done in English - so no need to brush up on your Danish skills!

Fortune favors the bald.

Try the local chicken vindaloo when you get there.

Stay away from the traffic in New Delhi.

Don't take the train.

An elephant has right of way.

Stay safe :thumbsup:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Don't take the train.

Also, inquire about opening up a McDonald's. I hear there's a major vacuum in the burger joint business down there.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

1. Eat lots of curry. It keeps the bacteria away.

2. Visit Taj Mahal.

3. Smile.

Have fun!

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I had no idea Walsingham was this paranoid. :thumbsup:

Huh? You what? I breathe in air I breathe out paranoia, mate. In any case I really haven't time to write down the dozens of incidents I've been embroigled in by either my own stupidity or that of others. The fact is the World is actually very dangerous, and still more dangerous for Westerners raised in happy homes who bimble about expecting it to be safe and friendly. It's chock full of opportunist thieves, murderous monks, violent chimps, innocuous gangsters, drugs, thunderstorms, flash floods, horrible worms that eat your eyes, termites that eat your travellers cheques, dust, poorly maintained safety features, HIV infected doctor's equipment, malarial mosquitos, bilharzia that makes you fart, lazy policemen that will expect bribes, angry policemen who will arrest you for making bribes, lying guides, truthful terrorists, and a total absence of life-jackets or decent gin.

-Elwood Blues

Clearly, I haven't been paying attention. :thumbsup:

This trip is sounding better and better! Take me with you Ros!

I promise I'll be nice. :lol:

Edited by Pidesco

Heja Sverige!!

sure, just have about 8.000 Euro ready and you're good to go - also we leave, as mentioned, on the 1st of november so you need a health insurance, vaccine shots, equipment, tickets, tourist Visa (notoriusly hard to get) and alot of other stuff as well.

You have 20 days.. :thumbsup:

Fortune favors the bald.

Don't take the train.

The train in India is better maintained than the British rail system. Even if it were to derail (which isn't likely), all the passengers riding on the roof of the carriages will cushion the crash. :lol:"

Traffic is dangerous in any country (Italy has twice the automotive fatalities of any other European country, for example); it's just that in a developing country the back-up system is less robust. I.e., if you get injured or ill, the hospital system is very hit-and-miss. (Private health cover that pays for immediate transfer to your home country is worth the expense.)

As for what to see, see everything. Zahiruddin Muhammad (Babur) famously pronounced that the tide of Islam would not sweep away the hundreds of millions of Hindus, calling the event "the meeting of two oceans". The Moguls (Akbar) established toleration between Hindu and Muslim with a set of common, transcendent beliefs, whereby members of either faith would benefit from the others adhering to their faith. (Shah Jahan commissioned the famous Taj Mahal, a work of art (well, it was primarily a mausoleum) to celebrate this cultural merger, in which the distinct attributes of both Hindu and Muslim architecture can be seen.)

Buon voyage.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

sure, just have about 8.000 Euro ready and you're good to go - also we leave, as mentioned, on the 1st of november so you need a health insurance, vaccine shots, equipment, tickets, tourist Visa (notoriusly hard to get) and alot of other stuff as well.

You have 20 days.. :thumbsup:

Don't you have an extra duffel bag or something? I'll pay the excess weight fees.

Heja Sverige!!

Also, inquire about opening up a McDonald's. I hear there's a major vacuum in the burger joint business down there.

They have many McDonalds in India. (They predominantly serve a vegetarian menu.)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT