Brutal Legend - Tim Schafer's new project

funcroc

Kratos is the greatest **** ever to exist in any game world. I wonder who's manipulating the dumb one now, maybe Jesus?

Hmm since i have x360, i guess there's no dilemma for me. Valkyria chronicles is what i'd buy ps3 for as well, hell if it really gets a price drop i might seriously consider it. ( then there's NGS and NGS2 to play too xD)

Eitherway i'm gonna miss Brutal legend on PC ;__;

1.13 killed off Ja2.

A concept game based on the album cover art of Iron Maiden and Meatloaf?

Genius. I'm getting it, I might even buy a console just to play it.

360 or PS3? You kids know 'bout these things.

Cheers

MC

I've owned both. The 360 is cheaper and has a better library of games, but has more technical problems. You can count on it lasting for about 3 years, after that is bonus time. The online component, Xbox Live, is superior to the PS3's.

The PS3 has dropped in price but is still expensive. From a performance standpoint, it's a better system, but it hasn't caught up on the software end. If you are interested in having a Blu-Ray player, it's a pretty solid deal. The PS2 had about a 9 year life cycle, and it looks like the PS3 will at least match that, so it's a decent long term investment over the 360.

Yeah, but you were talking about games released on PS3, not what games you like.

I don't have a tendency to keep games I don't like on the top of my head. I honestly forgot about MGS4.

And made a new one. >_<

Whre?

360 is cheaper and has a better library of games

Huh? 360 has Gears of War 2, Halo 3, Fable 2 and... And that's about it. Now that Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 has been announced it has exactly zero worthwile games that aren't available on either PC or PS3. It did have better software support when it launched, but that was a long time ago.

20795.jpg

It's probably a timed exclusive for the consoles. Once it fails to sell, they'll fall over themselves to put it out on Steam etc.

I agree that it's probably a timed exclusive and will eventually make it's way to PC, but if it doesn't sell on consoles is it really likely they'd port it to PC? Did Psychonauts sell better on PC? I mean if it sells poorly on one platform it doesn't make much sense to port it to another if you think it will do even worse.

360 or PS3?

You buy the systems that have the games you want. People offering up a list of the "best" games on a particular console doesn't help if you aren't interested in those types of games.

Edited by Hell Kitty

It's probably a timed exclusive for the consoles. Once it fails to sell, they'll fall over themselves to put it out on Steam etc.

I agree that it's probably a timed exclusive and will eventually make it's way to PC, but if it doesn't sell on consoles is it really likely they'd port it too PC? Did Psychonauts sell better on PC? I mean if it sells poorly on one platform it doesn't make much sense to port it to another if you think it will do even worse.

I'm pretty sure they're porting it as we speak, or when the console versions go gold. It was planned for PC for a long time, then some time ago it went console only. If it sells badly, they'll want to maximize the profits and they'll release it on anything they can.

On the PC it'll have way longer legs, especially if it's good. Consoles games have always been a big bang and fizzle(except Nintendo's first party games).

EDIT: Getting your 360 fixed if you're living outside of USA must be fun...

Edited by Purkake

I agree that it's probably a timed exclusive and will eventually make it's way to PC, but if it doesn't sell on consoles is it really likely they'd port it too PC? Did Psychonauts sell better on PC? I mean if it sells poorly on one platform it doesn't make much sense to port it to another if you think it will do even worse.

It has TV ads. And Jack Black. And TV ads with Jack Black. If it doesn't sell, Armageddon comes. And Jack won't save us from the devil this time...!

It has TV ads. And Jack Black. And TV ads with Jack Black. If it doesn't sell, Armageddon comes. And Jack won't save us from the devil this time...!

It's still a weird niche game for the PS360 crowd. Word of mouth will get it some nice sales, but it's not the kind of game that will sell millions on the PS360. It's also coming out in the fall where it'll be buried under the Maddens and Halos...

Actually, considering its emphasis on 70s and 80s hair metal, I find it kind of strange they're releasing on the 360 and PS3 to the detriment of the PC. I'd imagine that their target audience isn't your averagel console player.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Actually, considering its emphasis on 70s and 80s hair metal, I find it kind of strange they're releasing on the 360 and PS3 to the detriment of the PC. I'd imagine that their target audience isn't your averagel console player.

Money talks :)

Getting a PS360 exclusive is pretty weird, though. Usually it's one or the other, maybe the PC version isn't as finished yet?

Edited by Purkake

I think it'll sell, I was responding specifically to Purkake's claim of "Once it fails to sell...".

On the PC it'll have way longer legs, especially if it's good. Consoles games have always been a big bang and fizzle(except Nintendo's first party games).

What does having "longer legs" mean? What does "a big bang and fizzle" mean?

?

As an Australian, getting my 360 fixed involved a phone call and mailing a package, and then less than a week later I had my system back, all fixed. And this was out of warranty, an option I don't have for PC parts.

?

As an Australian, getting my 360 fixed involved a phone call and mailing a package, and then less than a week later I had my system back, all fixed. And this was out of warranty, an option I don't have for PC parts.

I just though that it might be harder outside the US, awesome if it's not. Isn't shipping PC parts back to Malaysia easier from Australia, though?

I think it'll sell, I was responding specifically to Purkake's claim of "Once it fails to sell...".

I'm sure it'll sell better than Psychonauts, i'm just pointing out that's it's not really for the console's target audience and that it's coming out at a very crowded time.

What does having "longer legs" mean? What does "a big bang and fizzle" mean?

A product having "long legs" means that it will sell well over a long period of time, like PC games usually do. A big bang and fizzle means that it will sell a lot during the first week and quickly fall off after that. It's like movies which usually make most of their profit in the first weeks.

I'm actually going to predict that this title will sell well. I don't really have a horse in the race, but it does have that sort of bitchen! quality about it. The voice over work in the video is superb. The graphics are idealized but extremely well done. This is a A+ title. It even combines, sex, violence, and heavy metal. Good Lord, how can it fail?

I'm actually going to predict that this title will sell well. I don't really have a horse in the race, but it does have that sort of bitchen! quality about it. The voice over work in the video is superb. The graphics are idealized but extremely well done. This is a A+ title. It even combines, sex, violence, and heavy metal. Good Lord, how can it fail?

Oh, I'm sure the game will kick ass. How could Psychonauts fail? It was different and didn't appeal to the console crowd? Also, poor marketing.

i'm just pointing out that's it's not really for the console's target audience

What is the consoles target audience, and why is this game not suited to them, but more suited to PC gamers? Try to answer this based on the actual audience of these platforms, and not what you think the audience is.

A product having "long legs" means that it will sell well over a long period of time, like PC games usually do. A big bang and fizzle means that it will sell a lot during the first week and quickly fall off after that. It's like movies which usually make most of their profit in the first weeks.

So you're saying that console versions of games sell better at launch, but PC versions eventually outsell the console versions, they just take a long time to do so? Do you have anything to back up this strange claim?

i'm just pointing out that's it's not really for the console's target audience

What is the consoles target audience, and why is this game not suited to them, but more suited to PC gamers? Try to answer this based on the actual audience of these platforms, and not what you think the audience is.

Looking at sales charts(NPD's monthly reports), it is pretty obvious that shooters like Halo and Call of Duty and sports games like Madden in addition to peripheral-focused games like Guitar Hero sell best on the 360 and PS3. The PC audience is broader, with a wider range of genres selling equally well.

So you're saying that console versions of games sell better at launch, but PC versions eventually outsell the console versions, they just take a long time to do so? Do you have anything to back up this strange claim?

I'm not saying that the PC versions outsell the console versions, where are you getting that? I'm saying that PS360 games sell a lot of copies at launch(just look at any PS360 game launch) and drop off the charts relatively quickly after that. PC games, on the other hand don't make a huge portion of their lifetime sales at launch. Just look at Steam top 10, Left 4 Dead, Counter Strike Source and Fallout 3 are still selling well, a long time after their console counterparts have dropped out of the charts.

Note: PC games sell WAY fewer copies than most console games, they just continue selling after the first few months.

Edited by Purkake

The PC audience is broader, with a wider range of genres selling equally well.

If you only look at the biggest sellers to determine a systems audience, then the opposite of what you claim is true. The PC is dominated by WoW and The Sims players.

PC games sell WAY fewer copies than most console games, they just continue selling after the first few months.

I'm struggling to figure out what the point of "On the PC it'll have way longer legs, especially if it's good. Consoles games have always been a big bang and fizzle" is. So the PC version will sell less copies, and it will take more time for those copies to sell? That certainly doesn't make this game more suited for PC.

Edited by Hell Kitty

The PC audience is broader, with a wider range of genres selling equally well.

If you only look at the biggest sellers to determine a systems audience, then the opposite of what you claim is true. The PC is dominated by WoW and The Sims players.

The difference is that when something sells on the consoles it usually sells big, if it doesn't sell, it will do very poorly. On the PC there is a lot more mid ground.

PC games sell WAY fewer copies than most console games, they just continue selling after the first few months.

I'm struggling to figure out what the point of "On the PC it'll have way longer legs, especially if it's good. Consoles games have always been a big bang and fizzle" is. So the PC version will sell less copies, and it will take more time for those copies to sell? That certainly doesn't make this game more suited for PC.

My point is that if it doesn't do well in the first weeks for whatever reason on the console, it never will, the next big shiny thing will come and everyone will forget about this. On the PC there is a lot more time for the word of mouth to get out there and the game gets a chance to prove itself.

The difference is that when something sells on the consoles it usually sells big, if it doesn't sell, it will do very poorly. On the PC there is a lot more mid ground.

So console games are either huge sellers or total failures, with nothing inbetween? What proof do you have to back up this strange claim?

On the PC there is a lot more time for the word of mouth to get out there and the game gets a chance to prove itself.

This doesn't even make any sense. Time has nothing to do with it, if you have 100 console players buy the game and only 10 PC gamers, then you have more console gamers to spread word of mouth. Are you actually claiming that console gamers are less likely to talk about games with others than PC gamers? Console gamers aren't affected by word of mouth? Console gamers only buy games that have just been put on the shelf?

Edited by Hell Kitty

So console games are either huge sellers or total failures, with nothing inbetween? What proof do you have to back up this strange claim?

Reggie, the president of Nintendo in America said that a Wii game must sell at least a million units to turn a profit. The production values of PS360 retail games are higher than Wii games(~25 million for AAA titles) thus they have to sell more units to turn a profit. Not a lot of PS360 games sell over a million units.(Here's a list of best-selling 360 games, it's not complete, but it should give some perspective).

On the PC there is a lot more time for the word of mouth to get out there and the game gets a chance to prove itself.

This doesn't even make any sense. Time has nothing to do with it, if you have 100 console players buy the game and only 10 PC gamers, then you have more console gamers to spread word of mouth. Are you actually claiming that console gamers are less likely to talk about games with others than PC gamers? Console gamers aren't affected by word of mouth? Console gamers only buy games that have just been put on the shelf?

Yes. Just look at some sales charts, most PS360 don't last longer than a month. My point is that the majority of PS360 audience buys the hottest new games when they come out, plays them and then resells them.

Since the game comes out in October along with a lot of other games that are already part of a known franchise(Madden, Call of Duty, etc...) people will buy these before Br

Edited by Purkake

Obvious question: who's doing the music for this?

Apparently they've licensed like 50+ metal songs for the game.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

^ Very cool, a feature where you could choose which one, a la GTA's radio stations would be even cooler.

Am looking forward to playing this whilst hooked up to an IV supply of Jack Daniels and wearing my viking helmet.

p.s. thanks for the console advice, I'm not bothered about Blu-Ray (WHATSOEVER) so it looks like it'll be the 360, which will delight Mrs. MC as I've already promised MC Junior a Wii.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG