Brutal Legend - Tim Schafer's new project

funcroc

Unless it's an adventure game, I only gush about Tim Schafer's output if it's original (mainly because all of Schafer's adventure games were original anyway). This is not original. It's derivative, which is Schafer's bad luck, as this was probably in his head well before the goof metal trend caught on. There have to have been at least 4 Cartoon Network executives who had this exact idea for a video game.

Analogy: If Radiohead decided to make a dance-rock album or a big working-class Springsteen ballad album, both of which are hot musical property right now, I wouldn't say that they're a bad band or that they haven't been good or unique in the past, I'd say they took an unfortunate direction into well-tilled sonic soil, which is regrettable given their past brazen individuality. And even as great as Radiohead is, I wouldn't expect much, because I've heard a lot of dance rock and a lot of Springsteen ballads and for all their talent Radiohead couldn't possibly add much to the formats.

Which is where we're at now with Brutal Legend. Both Tim Schafer and Radiohead have made their names making product that is challenging and often surprising to the average consumer. I can't honestly say that I played Psychonauts for any other reason besides it was so out-of-left-field, and every time I read about it or hear it described that's the big draw. That's what I'd expect from Tim Schafer, something different, something that makes me think "Jesus, who thinks of stuff like that?", which is not something he's delivering this time around. This game was bound to have happened in one form or another after Guitar Hero became such a smash hit. Tenacius D and Metalocalypse have covered enough of the metal myth territory that it'd be pretty ****in' difficult for Brutal Legend to be a hell of a lot different at all, in its humor or even in its basic premise. It's all terribly convenient and not the least bit exciting. And the Nightmare Before Christmas vs. Yngvie Malmsteen Album Cover look is just... blah.

Edited by Pop

I don't get how one minor band and one minor cartoon show make for well tilled sol. Especially, when we are talking about a video game here. Besides, other than the generic metal theme, the game's story and design seem to have bugger all to do with either Tenacious D or Metalocalypse.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I don't see how this game's target audience couldn't be aware of either of those things. If you're under 25 and live in America but not under a rock, you are aware of Adult Swim, and unless you don't like being in with the other kids, you like their programming. If you like their programming, you love irony. Chances are you like metal or hard rock. If you like irony, late night programming and metal, Tenacious D is right up your alley. You also play lots of video games, preferably ones that are fun to play when high. Brutal Legend is a Tenacious D minus KG and the name "Tenacious D", it's thick on ironic metal humor and will undoubtedly be awesome fun after cashing a bowl. I will be stunned if it doesn't feature musical input from Black, at least in the singing department.

So basically, this will be Tim Schafer's Bioshock, with all the connotations that come with that.

I don't see how this game's target audience couldn't be aware of either of those things. If you're under 25 and live in America but not under a rock, you are aware of Adult Swim, and unless you don't like being in with the other kids, you like their programming. If you like their programming, you love irony. Chances are you like metal or hard rock. If you like irony, late night programming and metal, Tenacious D is right up your alley. You also play lots of video games, preferably ones that are fun to play when high. Brutal Legend is a Tenacious D minus KG and the name "Tenacious D", it's thick on ironic metal humor and will undoubtedly be awesome fun after cashing a bowl. I will be stunned if it doesn't feature musical input from Black, at least in the singing department.

So basically, this will be Tim Schafer's Bioshock, with all the connotations that come with that.

So, apparently people who are under 25 in America all like to get high and love Heavy Metal.

They term "slippery slope fallacy" should be instead called "avalanche fallacy" for situations like this.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

So, apparently people who are under 25 in America all like to get high and love Heavy Metal.

If you've ever met a young American who doesn't, they're either lying about their Americanosity or their age. Or they're mormons, who don't count.

Less than a year ago I was 24, American, never done any drugs, and sure as hell dislike metal.

If you've ever met a young American who doesn't, they're either lying about their Americanosity or their age. Or they're mormons, who don't count.

Less than a year ago I was 24, American, never done any drugs, and sure as hell dislike metal.

Stupid Girl - Cold

Ain't good metal, but metal nonetheless.

Or rather, it's not metal. I don't know if they're a metal band or not, but that song isn't metal.

Edited by Tale

>.> never done drugs and don't particularly enjoy metal age 21

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Man, I'm more American than Calax.

Now, where's my Green Card? It's high time I visit my home soil.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I love metal but I've never gotten high. :/

I love 80s metal, does that count? Also, never been high.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg