Is this an upgrade from what I have now?

Sand

I am just wondering about your guys' opinion. I am thinking of getting 2 of these cards to go into SLI but I am wondering if they are really an upgrade (besides the DirectX 10 thing) from my Radeon X1900 GT.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814130086

What do you guys think?

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

i read through the comment list and the top two complaints: it is only 128 bit, and it ain't an 8800 GTS. i have the latter which absolutely rocks. one 8800 is probably cheaper than two of these, too.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

My main worry about the 8800s is power consumption. I only have a 650 watt power supply and well, I would like to go SLI. My board is built for it.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

Only? Isn't 650 watts more than enough?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Is it enough to do 8800 GTS SLI? I don't know. I do know it is enough for 2 8600s.

What exactly does that mean? 12V?

A PSU has several rails with different voltages, one or more with 12 Volt. Your graphics card will draw a certain amount of power from that rail. You should find somewhere, how many Amp

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Well, I got a motherboard that is built specifically to overclock and for SLI and I want to get the most out of it without breaking my bank, however I do see your guys' point about the 8600s versus the 8800s. I think that once the prices go down on the 8800s I am considering getting this card instead: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814186021

That should be a significant upgrade to my Radeon X1900 GT.

yeah, so far i think the reigning opinion is that 8600 SLI is a waste of money, with performance less than the cheaper single slot 8800 solution. maybe you could start with ONE of the 8800s and then, when affordable, buy the second?

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I believe that is going to be the new plan. Thanks for your input, guys! o:)

http://www.dailytech.com/Clash+of+the+Subt...article9180.htm

Yeah, for the first time in years both Nvidia And AMD/ATI are ignoring the fall high-end war. They're both about to release competitive, low-cost upper mid-range products instead. Both are working on shrinking die manufacturing processes and both are releasing single slot cards.

ATI missing the ultra-high-end segment with their 2XXX series of cards really was bad for us consumers. They've even come out and said that they won't compete with Nvidia this generation. Is it any wonder that Nvidia released their last high-end card almost a year ago..? It sucks when the fastest card available is a year old.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!