A recent Chris Avellone interview.

Guest The Architect

It was, I had no idea that the HK-50 factory was supposed to've been set up by Revan.

So he builds one of the greatest droids of all time, and has it become the template for a bunch of loser imitators, rambling about "facilitating communications and terminating hostilities"...

At least it's better than Jango's clones. :shifty:

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

Bah! I was just going to post this over here too and you go an' ruin my fun. I hope you're happy with yourselves.

Anyway, I'd just like to thank Mr. Avellone once again for responding to our questions. Even after Emperor Devon told me to shorten my questions some of them still turned out larger than his answers >_>.

StarWarsKnights.com -- Do not invent details which are not in the play

Huge kudos for TA, I would've never seen this interview without this topic :shifty:

Very, very interesting, especially point about team not being able for playing first game for first three months of development cycle ( now THAT'S a waste of time! ), last K3 was slightly uplifting and it's ALWAYS interesting to hear Avellone to speak. :woot:

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Huge kudos for TA, I would've never seen this interview without this topic :(

Very, very interesting, especially point about team not being able for playing first game for first three months of development cycle ( now THAT'S a waste of time! ), last K3 was slightly uplifting and it's ALWAYS interesting to hear Avellone to speak. :)

That does seem rather interesting. Some movie and novel writters are somtimes told not to see anything that preceeds. Some times it helps people to not repeat storyarchs. When proffessors teach figure drawing, they have their students go through relaxing techniques. I don't think it was a waste of time. They should practice this on a regular basis. Some of the greatest improvements to stories comes from not being exposed to the material. Just like artists, writters need to flex their mental muscles.

Edited by Force Slayer

It's really quite telling of his character that he takes on himself the responsibility of the botched deadline...

"Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope.

Statement: This definition, I am told, is subject to interpretation. Obviously, love is a matter of odds. Not many meatbags could make such a shot, and fewer would derive love from it. Yet for me, love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticle, and together, achieving a singular purpose, against statistically long odds." - HK-47

"BEEP BEEP BOOP!" - T3-M4

"Rawararr!!" - Zaalbar/Hanharr/...pretty much all Wookies...

Not allowed to play KoTOR 1 before starting with KoTOR 2? What the heck is that about? What a waste of time. :lol:

I agree completely

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

Very nice interview. And it is nice to see as well that Mr.Avellone unofficially supports Team-Gizka for their efforts.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Not allowed to play KoTOR 1 before starting with KoTOR 2? What the heck is that about? What a waste of time. :)

I agree completely

I still don't understand the point of that. Just wasted time.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Probably so they would create a fresh game and not try to just repeat what KOTOR1 did.

Avellone mentions one particular way they did suffer trying to imitate KOTOR1 already. The number of planets.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Kinda hard to justify not being able to play the game though...

Definitely agree that he's too hard on himself about it all

"Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope.

Statement: This definition, I am told, is subject to interpretation. Obviously, love is a matter of odds. Not many meatbags could make such a shot, and fewer would derive love from it. Yet for me, love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticle, and together, achieving a singular purpose, against statistically long odds." - HK-47

Guest The Architect
It was, I had no idea that the HK-50 factory was supposed to've been set up by Revan.

It's been speculated that Revan set up the HK factory in preparation for this True Sith threat. I'm not sure what to make of it. I guess if Revan's plan to stop the True Sith failed, Revan would have something to draw back to. Either way, I like the sound of a HK-47 led HK army assisting Revan against the True Sith at some point in KotOR III.

I don't think we've seen or heard the last of this HK factory yet.

Anyway, I also agree that it was stupid how Obsidian weren't allowed to play KotOR during the first three months of the development of TSL. How the heck are they supposed to do a sequel to a story that took place five years before it when they know nothing about it?

To use an analogy, it's no different than if someone else, who hadn't even read and knew nothing about The Fellowship of the Ring, was to write The Two Towers, instead of Tolkien. I can't help but think that there would be less people complaining that TSL lacked that sequel feel to KotOR, if Obsidian was allowed to play KotOR from the very beginning.

And yeah, as you folks have said, that last bit of the interview on KotOR II was some fairly encouraging news. It's also nice to know that if Obsidian does make KotOR III, it will be a wrap up of TSL, since Avellone has said that from the very beginning he wrote TSL with the intention of their being a wrapper upper sequel to it. I don't see why LA would deny him the opportunity to "clean up the mess" so to speak.

Oh, and by the way, in case anyone was wondering, the fact that it's not canon that Nihilus is the Exile's other half doesn't mean that they aren't and never will be. It's just that Avellone cannot canonize it, because that right falls to LA and not to him. It might not be canon now, but it might be one day. I'd say so too, since KotOR III is on the cards for sure.

To the users who find not playing the first game a waste of time:

This is a risky situation, but assuming that the team you employ is creative enough, by not allowing them to play the first game, you don't automatically set them any parameters about game design or story/plot. This can be positive as you'll end up with an entirely new game, rather a game that feels more like an expansion than a game in itself. To use a musical analogy, you don't end like the Ramones, releasing the same one record with 20 different covers (ha!).

It is a bit questionable on behalf of Lucas, if only because at least with the films, they like to repeat many story themes and situations, so you'd somewhat expect a repitition of events, places and scenarios. Perhaps they should have been given a comic book version of the first game and then let them figure out how to design the game from scratch.

In any case, it's pointless discussing what coulda woulda shoulda, the game's done!

To use an analogy, it's no different than if someone else, who hadn't even read and knew nothing about The Fellowship of the Ring, was to write The Two Towers, instead of Tolkien. I can't help but think that there would be less people complaining that TSL lacked that sequel feel to KotOR, if Obsidian was allowed to play KotOR from the very beginning.

Isn't lacking the sequel feel a good thing?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

In this case, yeah.

However with that short developing time not being able to play first game at all is only harmful. Possible influences by plot and scenes are minor when compared against benefits from knowing gaming mechanics/engine stuff/[insert your random gaming jargon here].

If development time would've been longer that would be just reasonable, but now 1 month should've been enough IMO

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

While avoiding making K2 a carbon-copy of K1 is a good idea - the simple fact that it's a sequel from the original, follows on the story (more or less) from the first, and contains reintroduced and cameo characters from it all mean that you will need a solid knowledge of how the first game went to make it viable.

follows on the story (more or less) from the first, and contains reintroduced and cameo characters from it all mean that you will need a solid knowledge of how the first game went to make it viable.

This is true only if they had planned on these things originally. I think it's very reasonable to say that they were not planning on doing that intially.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."