The Comic Thread in outer space

Kaftan Barlast

not entirly the right place but still WTF!?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1098327/

Movie loosely based on the King Piccolo story from the Manga series of the same name (not Dragonball Z), although upping the age of the characters to older teens/early 20s. Directed by James Wong (The X-Files, Space Above and Beyond, Final Destination, Black Christmas) and produced by Stephen Chow (although I believe he's not terribly involved in the production from what I've read).

The trailers been out for a bit (to much discussion).

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I've read this whole thread and have an objection:

It can't be a World War unless there are jaunty song about sergeant majors, kitbags, and a double entendre based on a ukelele. FAIL.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

disagreeing is fine, but saying that people who do like comics need to get a life = trolling

No, people who complain about those not liking comics is trolling, not people who tell trolls to get a life.

I only said your trolling skillz were bad. Its like your not even trying.

The key to good trolling is producing a lengthy but completely ludicrous argument to support your baitpost. That way you will both attract potential victims, and be able to laugh at the fact that people are seriously trying to refute your silly arguments. Its like with the flying spaghetti monster, its so silly that even the slightest attempt from the enemy to counter-debate it will result in an immediate fail.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

• 5 months later...

Ok, so I just caught myself up on the goings on in the Green Lantern universe. Screw Batman, GL is the best DC property. Looking forward to Blackest Night. Green Lantern Corps should be made into an animated series.

On a not so enthusiastic note, read Ultimatum #4. Loeb is still raping the Ultimate universe. Dr Strange gets killed after getting a costume "update" (if by changing it from his ultimate costume to his 616 costume is an update) and they change his personality. How he gets killed? Dormamu strangles him with his own cape with telekenesis then drops him on his head. Fight seriously takes like 3 panels. Oh, and then Angel gets his neck broken by Sabretooth, who is then shot in the eye by Hawkeye. Fight again takes about 3 panels. Then Valkyrie fights Magneto, who wields Mjolnir, Valkyrie cuts his arm off then dies. Reminder, Thor sacrificed his life to ressurrect her in the previous issue. Oh, and the whole Ultimatum thing? Caused by Dr Doom. The same Dr Doom who is trapped in the Zombie dimension but is somehow back and no one questions how or why.

I hope Jeph Loeb gets cancer.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

It's been 8+ months since I've gone to the comic store. Today I paid it a visit and... out of business. I have no idea where to find another in this part of town. It's easier for me to go to Border or buy TPB on Amazon.com

This is sad because I really want to see what Gail Simone is doing with Wonder Woman.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Ok, so I just caught myself up on the goings on in the Green Lantern universe. Screw Batman, GL is the best DC property. Looking forward to Blackest Night. Green Lantern Corps should be made into an animated series.

On a not so enthusiastic note, read Ultimatum #4. Loeb is still raping the Ultimate universe. Dr Strange gets killed after getting a costume "update" (if by changing it from his ultimate costume to his 616 costume is an update) and they change his personality. How he gets killed? Dormamu strangles him with his own cape with telekenesis then drops him on his head. Fight seriously takes like 3 panels. Oh, and then Angel gets his neck broken by Sabretooth, who is then shot in the eye by Hawkeye. Fight again takes about 3 panels. Then Valkyrie fights Magneto, who wields Mjolnir, Valkyrie cuts his arm off then dies. Reminder, Thor sacrificed his life to ressurrect her in the previous issue. Oh, and the whole Ultimatum thing? Caused by Dr Doom. The same Dr Doom who is trapped in the Zombie dimension but is somehow back and no one questions how or why.

I hope Jeph Loeb gets cancer.

GL has been awesome for a while, Geoff Johns has been on them since '06. Sinestro Corps war is AWESOME!

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I like that the Guardian's reactions to all the other lanterns is basically turning them into the villains.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I like that the Guardian's reactions to all the other lanterns is basically turning them into the villains.

I haven't been up to day, but I could see this happening... what with them enacting a kill order on the Sinestro Corps during the Corps war. And with ganthet being tossed out for having emotion (yay blue lanterns!)

I haven't been up to day, but I could see this happening... what with them enacting a kill order on the Sinestro Corps during the Corps war. And with ganthet being tossed out for having emotion (yay blue lanterns!)

They also enacted a kill order for all enemies of the green lanterns, they outlawed love and relationships between green lanterns, which resulted in mass resignations, and they created the alpha lanterns. A half lantern/half manhunter group that polices the green lanterns.

Devastatorsig.jpg

• 1 month later...

So I just read the final issue of Ultimatum. I was one of the many that hoped the final issue would redeem the rest of the awful awful series. Our hopes were dashed. It was the worst of the 5 issues. Again Jeph Loeb pisses all over continuity, the big shocker for Magneto having it revealed that Humans created mutants. This leads Magneto to despair at what he's done and give up. Oh wait... his parents were part of the group of scientists who created mutants and Magneto, disgusted by the whole thing released Wolverine from the project, so unless they come up with some sort of lame amnesia BS...

Oh and who was behind the whole thing!? Quicksilver! He faked his death manipulating Magneto into attempting to kill humanity! Wait... isn't Quicksilver a good guy? Oh, his constant questioning of Magneto's harsh methods and eventual defection to the Ultimates for not wanting to take part in terrorist activities was just a ruse in order to cause Magneto to kill MORE people! And since when is Ben Grimm a murderer? And since when can he singlehandedly take on Doom without so much as a fight?

And to make it all peachy, they list some characters as dead who didn't die such as Psylocke and Toad, and didn't mention dead characters like Valkyrie(unless she survived having her throat slit then left there while everyone else dealt with magneto) in the casualties list at the end.

Jeph Loeb is the Uwe Boll of comics.

Devastatorsig.jpg

You didn't realize this when he confirmed blatantly the incest in Ultimates? Loeb was good wayyy back in the day, but now he just is terrible.

• 2 weeks later...

Fables is awesome in every way, Sandman is more like Watchmen - a comicbook for people who dont enjoy or know anything about comics.

Brain K Vaughn did do the Mystique 24-issue solo run, which is very good but kind of rough and uneven in quality. It doesnt help that he left the paper at around issue 20, leaving some poor intern at marvel to wrap it up.. badly.

edit. Baley lives!! :)

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Fables it is, then. Oh sure, I want to make sweet, figurative love to BKV's waxed head, I mean - please - who doesn't? But I don't a pull a Fanatic Ferdinand, and read everything he's ever written. I have to think ahead to all those lonely nights. I'm just happy he's stopped writing for shows I don't watch, so he can start working on scripts that will never get made.

His only comic flop to date is probably "Prince of Baghdad", 50 pages of pointlessness that goes nowhere.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

I personally didn't really like Y: the last man. It started out well but then I just didn't see the movement of the story.

Sandman is a bit of a wacky trip into myths and legends. it does have some connections at the beginning to the real world, but then DC enforced a split between Vertigo and their main line.

Sandman is something that should be tasted. Another one you might like would be Lucifer from Michael Carey, it's a spin off from Sandman, after Lucifer closes hell and loses his wings.

Lucifer is superior to Sandman in every way.

I think so too. But some people swear by Sandman so *shrugs*

I guess that bit of my distaste for sandman comes from the fact that there was no constant thread that led from point A-Z, instead it was a thread that jumped the middle portion in favor of random (but good) stories.

I think my favorite sandman story was the one about the emperor of the US. Especially when it turned out to be true.

Devastatorsig.jpg

So after 2 issues of Blackest Night and like 3 deaths, I'm saying that Blackest Night is Ultimatum, only well written.

Devastatorsig.jpg

So after 2 issues of Blackest Night and like 3 deaths, I'm saying that Blackest Night is Ultimatum, only well written.

I scoff at this statement. Since when has a DC event been anything else than a confusing cosmic mess which ultimately leads back to where it started?

I scoff at this statement. Since when has a DC event been anything else than a confusing cosmic mess which ultimately leads back to where it started?

I'm not up to snuff on DC events, I'm only following Blackest Night as its most directly tied to Green Lantern, which is one of two(the other being Green Lantern Corps) DC books that I read. Let me rephrase though. Blackest Night is like Ultimatum, only better written.

Devastatorsig.jpg