Ebola Outbreak

Walsingham

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6990759.stm

The crucial things to keep in mind about Ebola are:

1. It often arises in communities which eat 'bush meat' - monkeys, endangered species and so on.

2. The infection is quite possibly one of the most ferocious and painful in the world.

3. There is not known treatment besides wait and see

4. The mortality rate is 90%

I'm sure the WHO and aid agencies will keep it under control, but spare a thought for these poor people.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

The reason it hasen't left the congo is that the carriers simply die off before the chain reaction of infection gets very far.

We are fortunate that not many people in the congo fly to international hubs. Something like this in a metropolis would be next to unstoppable.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I would say they deserve alot more.

I agree. And I say that with the greatest respect for troops.

I should say that I mean by this that there are a host of potential sources of courage in the line of fire. Self-protection, rage, fear of punishment, training. I fancy that reaching out to someone dying of ebola must stem pit nothing but empathy against every natural urge to run off shreiking.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

The reason it hasen't left the congo is that the carriers simply die off before the chain reaction of infection gets very far.

We are fortunate that not many people in the congo fly to international hubs. Something like this in a metropolis would be next to unstoppable.

Why would it be unstoppable?

It is thought to be transmitted through the consumption of infected bush meat and can also be spread by contact with the blood secretions of infected people.

Sounds like if you avoid bush meat and bloody secretions you should be pretty safe.

I don't know if you've ever been to a major city, but it's pretty common place to walk down the street and swap blood with random strangers.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

As is the consumption of bush meat, or so I hear.

Only around noon.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

It's comunicable through contact, or a couch from people who happen to be bleeding from every orifice. No cuts necessary to transmit it through the skin. When you consider the possibe number of infections it doeesen't take that much to completely overwhelm the medical services, we saw this with SARS in Asia.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

^Incorrect. Ebola.

Transmission:

Among humans, the virus is transmitted by direct contact with infected body fluids, or to a lesser extent, skin or mucus membrane contact. The incubation period can be anywhere from 2 to 21 days, but is generally between 5 and 10 days.

Although airborne transmission between monkeys has been demonstrated by an accidental outbreak in a laboratory located in Virginia, USA, there is very limited evidence for human-to-human airborne transmission in any reported epidemics. Nurse Mayinga might represent the only possible case. The means by which she contracted the virus remain uncertain.

So far, all epidemics of Ebola have occurred in sub-optimal hospital conditions, where practices of basic hygiene and sanitation are often either luxuries or unknown to caretakers and where disposable needles and autoclaves are unavailable or too expensive. In modern hospitals with disposable needles and knowledge of basic hygiene and barrier nursing techniques, Ebola rarely spreads on such a large scale.

In the early stages, Ebola may not be highly contagious. Contact with someone in early stages may not even transmit the disease. As the illness progresses, bodily fluids from diarrhea, vomiting, and bleeding represent an extreme biohazard. Due to lack of proper equipment and hygienic practices, large scale epidemics occur mostly in poor, isolated areas without modern hospitals or well-educated medical staff. Many areas where the infectious reservoir exists have just these characteristics. In such environments, all that can be done is to immediately cease all needle-sharing or use without adequate sterilization procedures, to isolate patients, and to observe strict barrier nursing procedures with the use of a medical rated disposable face mask, gloves, goggles, and a gown at all times. This should be strictly enforced for all medical personnel and visitors.

Ebola is limited on a global scale due to its difficulty in spreading by airborne transmission and the period of time that the virus can use a living and contagious victim to spread compared to other infectious diseases. In isolated settings such as a quarantined hospital or a remote village, most victims are infected shortly after the first case of infection is present. In addition, the quick onset of symptoms from the time the disease becomes contagious in an individual makes it easy to identify sick individuals and limits an individual's ability to spread the disease by traveling. Although bodies of the deceased are still infectious, many doctors implemented measures to properly dispose of dead bodies in spite of some traditional local burial rituals.

How does it actually spread in the meat?

Wasn't there some film with Dustin Hoffman where Ebola is thought to have become airborne? I do wonder what would happen if someone got it and started sneezing.

-Elwood Blues

Wasn't there some film with Dustin Hoffman where Ebola is thought to have become airborne? I do wonder what would happen if someone got it and started sneezing.

Outbreak, but they found a cure!

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Outbreak, but they found a cure!

And mocked Hoffman's nose, which he clearly permitted with a gun to his head. I thought Donald Sutherland was great in that movie.

-Elwood Blues

^Incorrect. Ebola.

Transmission:

Among humans, the virus is transmitted by direct contact with infected body fluids, or to a lesser extent, skin or mucus membrane contact. The incubation period can be anywhere from 2 to 21 days, but is generally between 5 and 10 days.

Although airborne transmission between monkeys has been demonstrated by an accidental outbreak in a laboratory located in Virginia, USA, there is very limited evidence for human-to-human airborne transmission in any reported epidemics. Nurse Mayinga might represent the only possible case. The means by which she contracted the virus remain uncertain.

So far, all epidemics of Ebola have occurred in sub-optimal hospital conditions, where practices of basic hygiene and sanitation are often either luxuries or unknown to caretakers and where disposable needles and autoclaves are unavailable or too expensive. In modern hospitals with disposable needles and knowledge of basic hygiene and barrier nursing techniques, Ebola rarely spreads on such a large scale.

In the early stages, Ebola may not be highly contagious. Contact with someone in early stages may not even transmit the disease. As the illness progresses, bodily fluids from diarrhea, vomiting, and bleeding represent an extreme biohazard. Due to lack of proper equipment and hygienic practices, large scale epidemics occur mostly in poor, isolated areas without modern hospitals or well-educated medical staff. Many areas where the infectious reservoir exists have just these characteristics. In such environments, all that can be done is to immediately cease all needle-sharing or use without adequate sterilization procedures, to isolate patients, and to observe strict barrier nursing procedures with the use of a medical rated disposable face mask, gloves, goggles, and a gown at all times. This should be strictly enforced for all medical personnel and visitors.

Ebola is limited on a global scale due to its difficulty in spreading by airborne transmission and the period of time that the virus can use a living and contagious victim to spread compared to other infectious diseases. In isolated settings such as a quarantined hospital or a remote village, most victims are infected shortly after the first case of infection is present. In addition, the quick onset of symptoms from the time the disease becomes contagious in an individual makes it easy to identify sick individuals and limits an individual's ability to spread the disease by traveling. Although bodies of the deceased are still infectious, many doctors implemented measures to properly dispose of dead bodies in spite of some traditional local burial rituals.

Actually i'm not incorrect. Airbourne just means it can survive longer than a few seconds in the air, if someone coughs on you thats plenty, and it also says it's comunicable through skin. It does say that it's preventable with hygene though.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

Outbreak was such a sweet movie I remember watching it on like 3 separate plane rides as a kid. That monkey was sweet. Anywho Africa sucks. I mean honestly, can you think of a place more worse off. All these crappy diseases that torture you to death, and HIV, and militias and lack of even dirty water and food. Pretty depressing place.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Outbreak was such a sweet movie I remember watching it on like 3 separate plane rides as a kid. That monkey was sweet. Anywho Africa sucks. I mean honestly, can you think of a place more worse off. All these crappy diseases that torture you to death, and HIV, and militias and lack of even dirty water and food. Pretty depressing place.

You are not wrong.

The lyrics essentially are a very plaintive "God, you seem to have wandered off. Come back to Africa. We're in quite a bit of pain."

Good lord! I just started crying. :sweat: How peculiar.

-Elwood Blues

Africa is a place I wish I never have the misfortune of visiting.

Now that's a different thing entirely. You don't actually see in full colour until you've seen Africa. The people are tremendously vibrant, and the food and fruit (bushmeat notwithstanding) are bursting with flavour. It's a true adventure. You should consider yourself unfortunate if you DON'T go. :sweat:

-Elwood Blues

Now that's a different thing entirely. You don't actually see in full colour until you've seen Africa. The people are tremendously vibrant, and the food and fruit (bushmeat notwithstanding) are bursting with flavour. It's a true adventure. You should consider yourself unfortunate if you DON'T go. :down:

Interesting... Anywhere in particular that you recommend?

All this stuff about Ebola, Marburg and Elephantitis is really scary though.

Now that's a different thing entirely. You don't actually see in full colour until you've seen Africa. The people are tremendously vibrant, and the food and fruit (bushmeat notwithstanding) are bursting with flavour. It's a true adventure. You should consider yourself unfortunate if you DON'T go. :lol:

Interesting... Anywhere in particular that you recommend?

All this stuff about Ebola, Marburg and Elephantitis is really scary though.

Well a lot depends on the local conditions. Right now I'd recommend South Africa, leaving out Johannesburg and Durban due to rampant crime. Mozambique is a bit of an undiscovered gem, although landmines can be an issue. Botswana is amazing, but a bit boring unless you can see the beauty in the desert. In general stay clear of North Africa, West Africa, and erm, East Africa.

-Elwood Blues