Anime recommendations: Part 2

SteveThaiBinh

I don't care what anyone says I'm watching this show strictly for....well you'll understand. You can just tell it's going to have a masterful and intriguing story of wonder and mystery.

kanakongl2.jpg

I would sell my kidney if we get this scene in next Eva movie

shinjitrapaa3.th.jpg

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

just watched Gundam 00 end and Liked it. one thing bugged me

did I miss somthing or was the red headed guy killed by Lockon? I couldn't really tell.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

just watched Gundam 00 end and Liked it. one thing bugged me

did I miss somthing or was the red headed guy killed by Lockon? I couldn't really tell.

No, he wasn't. It was meant to imply so, but the character was too interesting to have such a little part in the overall and you never get confirmation.

Don't be certain Lockon is dead, either.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I began to watch anime through the net since each episode requires half time, which is convenient.

I am currently watching Persona Trinity Soul and Wolf and Spice.

I haven't played Shin-Megami Tensei: Persona but I found some essences are interesting. Dialog consciously tries to simulate casual and daily expressions while carrying the story well. The core theme is about family/friend relationship with less expressive and more introverted Japanese approach. For example, even when someone notices a secret of his/her beloved one, he/she often avoids direct questions but tries to accept him/her as he/she is. In western culture, this "inaction" tends to be taken as a weakness or at least rather passive. I would probably like this one more without anime cliche such as anime-robotic "persona" and shadowy underground organization. BTW, if it means "hidden self", then, isn't it more of shadow rather than persona? I know this is a nitpick, though.

Wolf and Spice is fantasy anime without sword and sorcery. The core theme seems to be about Nature and Civilization with some basic economic knowledge and light philosophy. To some extent, it's about wisdom and cleverness. However, the cute drawing and the setting of "wolf goddess" being a teenage girl soften these often serious themes rather nicely. I wonder why the wolf goddess uses satokotoba, or, particular phrasing used by prostitutes in feudal era... The phrasing is said to be originally used to conceal dialects but it may have sounded mythical to their "customers", though.

As for gundam...can this be categorize into Sci-Fi genre? I wonder how I should put my words on this one. The antiwar theme with colorful robots is kind of psychedelic. However, the simulation of placing impressionable teen-agers in war seems to have some influence on teenagers who watch it despite of some unbelievable settings. I cannot think of other media which can do this kind of thing. The antiwar theme stays subconscious of Japanese through some works such as Godzilla (the original black and white version), though. It seems that some traditions won't simply die and carry some collective experience to generations.

In both works, I like the feminine and poetic feel which wrap everything up. Anime for boys used to being more violent, sex-conscious and rather overly admiring the masculinity while one for girls tend to being overly emo and confined within schoolgirl relationships. It always been a problem with anime/manga that the artists don't have knowledge and experiences outside of school since they are too busy with polishing their drawing skills. Things seem to have changed, though. Nowadays, multiple people cooperate to make a work, which lets scenario writers concentrate on their jobs. In any case, less than thirty minute entertainment with interesting factors is welcome.

Since I haven't seen you guys mention this, try Kaiji.

Plus if you're gooey, try Romeo x Juliet. Also a Gonzo remake on an old story. Kinda soppy though but still watchable if for the nice animation. And the irises.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

Apparently, there's going to be a 4-part Darker than Black ova series of the mission into Heaven's Gate in South America way back then.

The first part is out, at least, but it is not subbed yet.

This fills me with glee.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Apparently, there's going to be a 4-part Darker than Black ova series of the mission into Heaven's Gate in South America way back then.

This fills me with glee.

You seen it yet, Mus? It's fully subbed now.

What I don't get,

wasn't Huang killed in ep. 24

, what gives?

It's supposedly an alternative storyline.

And no, I haven't watched it yet.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Code Geass R2, episode 1 is subbed.

And it's grand!

kirottu said:

This fills me with glee.

The ending of Darker than Black left a very sour taste in my mouth. Everything was going fine until a certain female showed up.

Anyhoo, i have little interest in this prequel, eventhough there should be at least some interest.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

loli time traveler will always hold a special place in my heart :)

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

is strictly anecdotal, but Gromnir believes another bit o' evidence suggesting the likelihood of the land-bridge migration of asians to north america long time ago is the fact that it seems like both asians and native americans will bet/wager on just about anything. in other words, Gromnir lost a bet... again. is strict policy that we never bet money, but so-called friendly wagers will be the death of us.

long story shortened: Gromnir loses bet and now must watch FIVE new anime series. sadly the person we made bet with knew our profession, so we couldn't simply use bus gamer or straight jacket as options... gotta be at least 13 episodes.

*sigh*

lucky is Gromnir that we gets to pick the series in question, so no weird anime perversion needs be suffered, but we does gotta choose. our "friend" will provide us with the episodes on disc as they become available (ironic that a first amendment lawyer would get himself caught up in your rampant fan-subbing illegality, eh?) nevertheless, we still gotta pick 5 from the 30+ new series for spring.

proviso #1: if we choose a continuing series, then we is able to watch previous incarnation as credit. example: code geas 2 is being released this spring, as such, Gromnir would be able to watch the original code geas for credit towards settling our wager. benefit of doing so would be that Gromnir not have to wait for weekly releases. waste a couple hours and manage to get through half a season o' crap? might be an option.

proviso #2: Gromnir cannot exploit proviso #1 to be viewing any more than 2 seasons of any one given franchise. so, we cannot use pretty much all the previous macross incarnations to wipe out our debt in one shot as it were.

proviso #3: we gotta choose somethingthat is actually being subbed... can't get out of bet by choosing all unsubbed. "Yeah, I watched the raws, but as it was in Japanese I didn't understand what was going on in this episode." rinse and repeat 13 times. not an option.

etc.

is all kinda stipulations and provisos, but basically we gotta watch 5 spring anime, provide weekly reviews of those anime, and answer some questions to prove that we didn't just read some on-line synopsis of the episodes.

basically we is looking for some feedback... and possibly we will post our reviews here as well. am not gonna watch any ecchi(?) or gay romance stuff, and chances are that any insipid teen girlie romance will likewise be rejected, but as we pretty much hate anime en masse, there really ain't too many things we is gonna discriminate 'gainst.

5 series of at least 13 episodes.

am serious considering xxxholic and xxholic kei as a writer friend o' ours actually recommended xxholic.

any suggestions?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Gromnir sure makes the strangest of bets. Sorry, but i know little about new series that are starting this spring. But anything made by Madhouse (Death Note, Claymore) could be interesting.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Gromnir sure makes the strangest of bets.

indeed. if she (our "friend") had lost bet, she woulda' had to actually sit through the performance o' 2 Shakespearian dramas. damned uncultured philistine.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

4-1 not really tell whole story though, does it? she woulda' had to sit through a live performance. travel times alone is considerable given the fact that she lives 'bout 30 minutes from nearest college campus, and 40 minutes from downtown. other possible venues closer to home is almost non-existent. no movie versions allowed neither. also, while it ain't like she is hurting for cash, she were gonna have to pay for her own expenses and ticket... no free ride from Gromnir.

Gromnir can do the anime thing while seated in front o' tv or computer. possibly even multi-task to some degree.

'tween time and expenses...

regardless, Gromnir lost. "so it goes."

HA! Good Fun!

Man, you just lost all the credibility in my eyes :(

Elfen Lied is good show though

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Don't mind Xardy, he's our official NGE-nut.

I'm watching Black Lagoon with my gf. It is even better second time!

kirottu said: