Anime recommendations: Part 2

SteveThaiBinh

I'm actually, to my surprise, enjoying Gundam Seed. I'm at episode 22 now, about to start 23. my friend bullied me into watching this. It's not as bad as I feared. of course I still want to strangle some characters but eh, that's normal for me. In other news a friend wants me to visit Japan and dress up for some convention. No. Just no. I am not dressing up in some pervert-issue costume!

p.s. What is a Prestidigitator?

Edited by Landiskan

Watched an episode of Code Geass yesterday. Surprisingly dark and looking good.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I'm hungry for season 2 of Code Geass. The first one was the most unfiltered piece of dramatic awesome and just pure love for the whole genre. It has all the retardation of mecha and school that you can think of, but CLAMP did an unbelievably good job on the characters, I'm constantly at the edge of my seat over the plot and the action is epic yet refreshing without homing rainbow multilasers or seven swells.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Yeah Code Geass was pretty cool. I wasn't digging the begining of the show but it grew on me. Still some flaws in the show but good stuff. I've been waiting on season 2, I need my fill of pizza hut advertisement and loligoodness.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Whichever of you recommended Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (wooh, typed it right my first try), I'm going to hold you responsible if I spit out my tea all over my monitor and keyboards.

Tears. Tears of laughter.

Bleach 162 either Ichigo goes insane and kicks much hollow butt or

bleach 162 Ichigo can't hit max power and spends an entire fight running like an idiot.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Whichever of you recommended Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (wooh, typed it right my first try), I'm going to hold you responsible if I spit out my tea all over my monitor and keyboards.

Tears. Tears of laughter.

o/

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Pull the trigger, Tenma, you bloody git! DO IT!

Chobits is a great manga, it's CLAMP's alumni right there.

Can't say much abou the anime though, I heard it has a lot of filler.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:

Spice and Wolf.

Man, it's sweet.

kirottu said:

gundum OO question

what happened to reporter lady?

gutshot

Hey guys! I'm on a massive anime kick and am in need of something to watch that I've missed over the years. What are the absolute favorite series around here?

I'm talking major anime kick. This past week I've watched Code Geass, Claymore, bits of Trigun, bits of Martian Successor Nadesico, and I demand MOOOOORE. I'll probably buy Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid sometime this week.

Edited by Tale

1 answer Tengen Toppen Gurren Lagann. Most epicest show ever made. Since watching it I haven't watched anything becuase it was no where near the capacity of awesome that ttgl was.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Already seen that, how about a list of the several favs? And I agree it was awesome. After I watched it I couldn't watch anything for a while. I had to take a nap because living just wasn't awesome enough anymore by comparison.

My list is going to be:

Record of Lodoss War

Code Geass

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Comedies like Haruhi and Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei are good too, but never have that lasting appeal that makes me watch them 20 times. Or even Martian Successor Nadesico, which has the appeal for at least 5 viewings! I'd mention Macross Plus, but the blasted thing is too short for my kick.

Edited by Tale

1 answer Tengen Toppen Gurren Lagann. Most epicest show ever made. Since watching it I haven't watched anything becuase it was no where near the capacity of awesome that ttgl was.

It's impossible not to like Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann :)

Feckin' impossible.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Evangelion 1.0 wins Anime of the year at Tokyo's Anime Fair

Gurren-Lagann was rewarded for best character design and took honorable mention (or did it share the prize, I don't know, article is little bit unclear) for best TV animation :)

These awards seem like political crap to me. I can only speak for the Gainax/Khara shows though since I haven't seen the others. Hideaki Anno is a terrible director, and he wasn't even the Director for Evangelion 1.0 according to ANN credits, it was Kazuya Tsurumaki, so letting Evangelion win is just for "anime politics" I would suspect. I haven't seen Eva 1.0 yet though for myself (I'm just very familiar with Anno and Tsurumaki's styles...btw I'm not implying that they are similar) so I might change my mind when I do.

About character designer, that also looks like a political award to me. I am not sure exactly what Atsushi Nishigori did and didn't do for Gurren-Lagann, and I acknowledge that Yoko is an excellent character design, but that's it. She's only one person. Everyone else in Gurren-Lagann looks like characters from Samurai Jack (or Dead Leaves). Anyone who thinks that's high quality character art is an idiot.

Of course since that's in ANN some (un)intentional lulz is unavoidable thanks to village idiots like GATSU who bitch about anything that isn't made by Satoshi Kon. Heaven forbid they have something to do with GAINAX. After recently watching all of the early GAINAX and Hideaki Anno works I am even more sure than before Hideaki Anno is one of the few top-class anime directors. His and Tsurumaki's styles are rather similar too. And Gurren-Lagann characters are from Samurai Jack? Pfffft.

Meshugger, as you can see, it is possible to dislike Gurren-Lagann "cuz the characters are from Samurai Jack".

That said I think it is somewhat corny giving Eva 1.0 award that requires that the winner "made the greatest contribution to the world of anime" that year. Evangelion 1.0 was frickin' awesome movie, but it's about as innovative as 70 % shot-to-shot recreation of TV series back from 1995 can be. Meh, I guess it's the popularity award after all.

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Glad you guys are enjoying stuff. I'd recommend School Rumble (season 1 then 2) for the epic lulz and then check out Honey and Clover (season 1 and 2 - though I enjoyed 1 more) for a drama-ey show that's still awesome. But it's sorta few years old.

On new stuff, I tried an ep or two of Spice and Wolf which did look interesting. I still follow Rental Magica when I can lol. Also check out Darker than Black if you haven't.

Btw there's some Persona one that I was looking forward to. Hope I'll get to watch it sometime.

Edited by Atreides

Spreading beauty with my katana.

Ouran Kokou Hosutobu!

It's ragingly hilarious, so you've probably already seen it.

Another is KareKano(His and Her Circumstances), just a damned good romance there, with Anno-awsumness. The supporting characters are a hoot as well.

As you've probably guessed, right now I'm on a shoujo-binge, just started Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge(Perfect Girl Evolution). Yes, yes! I admit my failure as a man, but I'm having a great time!

On the other hand, if you cannot stretch your manhood thin enough to stomach these, there's always Honey and Clover and arguably the best anime ever, Noir.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:

Monthly Internet fee: 17 euros

Finding out your girlfriend is a lipstic lesbian: 4 beers and 4 absinthe shots

Recruiting Tale to Noir fandom: Priceless

kirottu said:

I dunno. My go-to-guy for anime says:

Noir was another "just ok" series that I couldn't finish.

And this is my go-to-guy!

What's the local opinion on Noein, Last Exile, and HiME?

Legend of Galactic Heroes?

Edited by Tale