Anime recommendations: Part 2

SteveThaiBinh

I started watching ".hack//Sign". I've seen 4 episodes so far . They seemed decent enough (or maybe good enough, I don't know, the pace is somewhat slow) and since they are interesting, I will continue to watch this. I hope the pace will pick up later on.

Also the last Naruto:Shippuden episode seemed like the first decent episode in a long time.

Edited by Istima Loke

I think therefore I am?

Could be!

Or is it really someone else

Who only thinks he's me?

Gundam 00 - episode 18

It seems obvious what direction they're going with this. It seemed obvious since the new characters were introduced if you pay attention to the intro. However, the preview makes it look like episode 19 isn't going to be the balls to the wall moment I'm anticipating.

It's a good series and it's moving forward quite quickly. I can't make up my mind as to if it's moving forward too quickly or if it likes to move forward a bit then quickly jump right back. When interesting things happen, you're not sure if it's development or delay. You just kind of hope they'll get back to that later.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

anyone mention The Twelve Kingdoms?

anyway, I've enjoyed what I've seen so far of that.

One of the best ever made. Too bad they never finished the whole anime though, it's not an abrupt ending, but at its current condition, it leaves many questions unanswered.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I LOVE Space Runaway Ideon's ending theme.

Downloading the movie right now

The most famous of all "EVERYONE DIES" endings can't be anything but win

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Wow, sounds hard to believe, what I read about Sign here was just awesome, very Evangelionish so to speak :lol:

It also has Kazuniro Ito (GitS) who did the screenplay and always so wonderful Yoshiyuki Sadamoto (Honneamise, Nadia, Evangelion, FLCL) as character designer.

Although ".hack//Sign is influenced by psychological and sociological subjects such as anxiety, escapism, and interpersonal relationships" and "They display faces frequently obscured by shadows or hidden by extreme angles. The dialogue is not heard, but shown through title cards: when someone speaks the screen blacks out and a line of red or blue text appears with the dialogue" makes me wonder why this just wasn't called "Evangelion 2, now without mechs!" :wowey:

Meh, it might still suck. Well, I'll check this out, but first I have few classics to finish :wowey:

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

Haha, the main character looks very much like Shinji (both in appearance and behaviour -at least up to a point) which at the first episodes made me start relating hack characters with NGE characters.

I would say even more (concerning NGE comparisons) but since you have plans to watch it I shall refrain myself from spoiling it for you.

Edited by Istima Loke

I think therefore I am?

Could be!

Or is it really someone else

Who only thinks he's me?

One of the best ever made. Too bad they never finished the whole anime though, it's not an abrupt ending, but at its current condition, it leaves many questions unanswered.

Yeah. One of the reasons why I was so dissapointed with Jade Empire was that I had just then watched Twelve Kingdoms. It is in my mind probably the best example how to make an orginal setting. It was so orginal that it almost felt alien and was somewhat hard to follow in the beginning. Awsum. :thumbsup:

Oh, and this is for Xard, but being the Evangelion fan that he is he has probably seen it already.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Yeah. One of the reasons why I was so dissapointed with Jade Empire was that I had just then watched Twelve Kingdoms. It is in my mind probably the best example how to make an orginal setting. It was so orginal that it almost felt alien and was somewhat hard to follow in the beginning. Awsum.

The anime is based on a series of novel, still incomplete thus the series is momentarily suspended)

The reason is very simple actually. The animators and the novelist of 12 kingdoms made extensive research on China's Han periods culture, Chinese mythologies, philosophies and right down to the accuracy of the clothings! Unlike Jade Empire which is more or less just another Western fantasy reskinned into a stereotyped Chinese asian look. That's a big kudos from a Chinese here, who often frown at the misinterpretation of Chinese culture in the anime.

I agree that it will be great if an RPG is made something along the lines of 12 Kingdoms setting.

On a side note, those who are perceptive enough, they will notice that some notable music of 12 Kingdoms is based on Heroes of Might and Magic 4.

Edited by Zoma

I don't get this. Aya Hirano played Misa in Death Note anime. I hated Misa's voice in it. How can she be so unbeliavably awesome as Haruhi then, huh? :devil:

Yeah. One of the reasons why I was so dissapointed with Jade Empire was that I had just then watched Twelve Kingdoms. It is in my mind probably the best example how to make an orginal setting. It was so orginal that it almost felt alien and was somewhat hard to follow in the beginning. Awsum. :)

Oh, and this is for Xard, but being the Evangelion fan that he is he has probably seen it already.

Heh, I hadn't. Quite decent, song's lyrics fitted EoE so well it was scary. Funnily AMV's were the thing that originally made me interested about NGE, to be particular Kevin Caldwell's legendary

. That AMV is little bit too good because every time after when I've heard Rammstein's Engel that video plays itself in my mind. Careful observations (or rather, rat tests :p ) has proved this to not to be out of ordinary.

I ended up rewatching FLCL. Awesome as always

Edited by Xard

On a side note, those who are perceptive enough, they will notice that some notable music of 12 Kingdoms is based on Heroes of Might and Magic 4.

Seriously? I thought I heard echoes of HoMM, especially with some recurring themes, but I didn't think was onto anything there.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

For all anime mecha lovers.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CC2me9BI0lY

Too bad that game will never come to the US.

Edit: I feel like I'm in giant robot withdrawal right now. I can't think of anything to watch that I haven't.

Edited by Tale

Watching Persona: Trinity Soul. It's a sequel to the Persona 3 game, but the connections are limited. It has a lot of the music from the game, Apathy syndrome, the long nosed guy, and the titular personas, but none of the characters, no dark hour, no evokers (which probably wouldn't fly for broadcast, anyway), and characters fight exclusively with their Personas. It's very giant roboty and I'm enjoying it at 3 episodes in.

Edited by Tale

Yeah, Trinity Soul is a good anime so far(6 episodes), I really like the siblings as characters and the action isn't...bad. The Personas are a tad bit difficult to discern from bakground at times.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

I just finished "Toppa Tengen Gurren Lagann".

10/10. The best thing happened to anime in years. Celebration of over-the-top action and style completely sold me. Unpossible not to like this anime, even if you never watched anime before.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Started watching Claymore yesterday. Didn't think I'd particularly like it, but I really do. It was hard to stop watching it to go to bed last night.

Prepare for disappointment after episodes 17-19.

Then start reading the manga. It's awesome.

kirottu said:

They cut the story short, introduce a smathering of new twists and "end" it up with a horrible DBZ-esque(sorry great Huddleston, my liege, I swear I'll never write that again) boss fight, which has, among other idiocies, two super beings yelling and powering themselves up. Which isn't really the point of Claymore. Or interesting.

The manga, on the other hand, is made of win and awesome. Pieta is a turning point, not the end. Well, it is an ending of sorts, but also a completely unexpected turn that has nothing to do with the main character getting a sudden power boost. Or finding a new ability. Or everyone being betrayed by a friend. Or any of the usual copouts.

Just read it, instead of a suffering through the Tour d'Offal that is the anime ending.

kirottu said:

But I've never actually bothered reading manga before. I don't know if I can do it, Jim!

Wiki plot summaries are more my thing.

Edited by Tale

Seriously? I thought I heard echoes of HoMM, especially with some recurring themes, but I didn't think was onto anything there.

Yup. Rip out the track Grassland theme and the sea theme from HoMM 4 and if you can, get hold of 12 Kingdom's OST. There are several pieces are definitely of the same tune, albeit using different instruments to play.

There used to be scanned album pages streamable with music(stupid, but muteable) in Veoh video service, but the uploader got banned a couple of months ago. Tough luck.

I can't link you to anything legal right now.

Pm me if you change your mind about reading manga, arr.

kirottu said:

RE Gundam 00:

There can't be only 7 episodes left! I'll feel robbed!

RE Gundam 00:

There can't be only 7 episodes left! I'll feel robbed!

that sucks!

the latest was quite interesting.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.