Rugby World Cup

Monte Carlo

Hello.

Have just finished watching England's first game versus the USA. Some thoughts.

1. Our forwards are too old. Experienced, yes, but the Eagles clearly had a more dynamic team up front. The score really didn't reflect the performance (not uncommon in Rugby I think). England won because we have been doing this longer than the Americans, nothing more and nothing less. Vickery's foul was disgraceful, he deserved ten minutes in the Sin Bin and the Eagles deserved a try.

2. Our backs are our strength. The US has the right idea, but need more discipline and technique. It will come, bejaysus they have some big players. Not surprising from the land of American Football and Ice Hockey. Ditch those pads and hockey sticks!

3. My beloved England, who I have supported man and boy for thirty years (I am nearly forty) will get their arses handed to them on Friday by the South Africans if they don't buck their ideas up. It will be a grisly grudge match and I commend it to you all. We are not playing like the world champions, the English curse across our team sports is teams relying heavily on one player's exceptional talent (I remember Rob Andrew playing a similar role to Wilkinson in the 80's / early 90's). Look at football... Rooney and before him Beckham (etc).

4. I don't really follow American rugby, but my friends who are still operational tell me that it has a cult following, not surprisingly in the military. The Eagles clearly have the potential to be a world-class team who could (eventually) seriously challenge southern hemisphere hegemony in the game. They should rise to the challenge and I implore Americans to adopt the game and see it as another way to forge relations with Europe and beyond. Your team did you proud today, despite losing. I know that might seem strange to Americans, but losing with honour is possible.

5. Usually, Italy is my 'second team' after England. After today's performance, The Eagles will vie for that place. Good luck, USA!

Cheers

MC

Edited by Monte Carlo

sonsofgygax.JPG

I'd just like to say go Portugal, the best amateur rugby team in the world!

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I was stuck at a rural train station at the time. :(

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

America has a rugby team?

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

America has a rugby team?

And one capable of scoring, no less.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Are Argentina in this? If so do they have any chance of doing anything of note?

I know nothing about Rugby but Argentina doing well is always good in my book.

Just because you're a bit thinner than your even fatter mum it doesn't mean you're in excellent physical shape, if you could fit through the door and view the normal people you'd notice that cheeseburger boy. Squid suck.

Look no offense ok guys, but RUGBY SUCKS!!!!

I mean what's the point of that game anyway? Is it anything like American 'Football'? You know, a game where you try to steal the other team's umm... land while wearing that stupid looking tights. Kinda resembles the US's foreign policy. LOL!!!!

The greatest game in the world is soccer! The real football! Go Man United!

coexistreflection.gif

Look no offense ok guys, but RUGBY SUCKS!!!!

I mean what's the point of that game anyway? Is it anything like American 'Football'? You know, a game where you try to steal the other team's umm... land while wearing that stupid looking tights. Kinda resembles the US's foreign policy. LOL!!!!

The greatest game in the world is soccer! The real football! Go Man United!

I'd just like to add a disclaimer that not all Football/Soccer fans are like this guy here...

Edited by Daaave

Just because you're a bit thinner than your even fatter mum it doesn't mean you're in excellent physical shape, if you could fit through the door and view the normal people you'd notice that cheeseburger boy. Squid suck.

I'd just like to add a disclaimer that not all Football/Soccer fans are like this guy here...

D'ya think?

Oh, and for the record son, it's Manchester United Football Club, not Man United/Man U/Man Utd or any other such abbreviation. Manchester United is acceptable but that's it.

:thumbsup:

coexistreflection.gif

Whereas football, and particularly Manchester Inc are a bunch of ballet dancers hoofing a bag of hot air about. Um... rather like the Duma.

Rugby is NOT american football. For starters it doesn't involve wearing 20lbs of armour. Nor does it involve tight leggings (or at least it doesn't at any decent level). Rugby is a game of raw violence, like putting a pig and a walrus in a box and shaking it. But most importantly it is a rare opportunity to see large violent men picking on each other for a change.

-Elwood Blues

Come now, Wals. I had desperately hoped that after the last three posts the thread would die a good death. :)

I live in NZ so there's this big rugby thing going on, never got into it myself, but then I like a few sports and really don't like the rest. Like Boxing or Netball.

Eurosport has coverage as usual, but they seem to be broadcasting it at middle of the night. Where is it held this time?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Having lived some years in New Zealand, I can only say: Go The All Blacks!

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I am very careful not to let any Wallabies fans find out where I live... :ninja10:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Come now, Wals. I had desperately hoped that after the last three posts the thread would die a good death. :)

Im stilll pleased by my realisation that I enjoy watching it because finally big muntas are having to face others their size.

-Elwood Blues

• 4 weeks later...
Guest The Architect

Sorry to revive this almost one month dead thread, but...

How could we let those ****in tea drinking, crumpet eating, wrinkly old Pom {or is it Pome?} or however the heck you spell it fatties defeat us? :down: Then the Kiwis go and get turfed out by the ****in frogs. Our Maori brothers over here aren't too happy 'bout that.

I'm tipping France to beat South Africa in the final now.

Trust me, there were massive roars here in New Zealand over that. Apparently the ref was a Frenchie lover or something.

And the All Blacks continue their decades of underachievement.

i must be in the minority here in NZ

i really didn't care about the All Blacks losing. in fact, i kinda expected it

they've beem remarkably mediocre for years

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

How could we let those ****in tea drinking, crumpet eating, wrinkly old Pom {or is it Pome?} or however the heck you spell it fatties defeat us? :down:

Trust me, we're as mystified as you are. This England team is bad. Very very bad. Historically bad. Bad bad bad bad bad.

And still they beat you.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Guest The Architect

Yeah, we really did suck badly.

And about the Kiwis, well, they've underachieved for so long. I'm sure they'll do a Geelong, though, in the 2011 Rugby World Cup, which is in New Zealand. As in, they'll finally live up to expectations and end all those years of disappointment, so in other words, they'll win it.