my pc is daid

Slowtrain

I turned it on this morning and I got fans and power lightd, but nothing else, no video bios, no post, no drives spinning up, nuttin. I had a spare power supply and video card lying around that I know work so I swapped them in but still nothing. To bes on the safe set I checked the monitor with my laptop and it is ok.

I'm afeared now that the processor has cooked, which I've never heard of before, but I guess could happen. Anyway, unless any one has some thoughts, it looks like I am going to be spring for a new mobo, proc and ram. Which means, a new system. Which is good, but I really don't want to spend the money right now.

ANybody have any thoughts about anything else to try before I start buying new parts?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Maybe contacting someone to check the computer so you know what really went wrong and so you don't buy new parts that don't need replacing? And so you know how to stop it from happening again?

You should find out what the problem is, first.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Check out the guide I posted at the top of this forum; it takes one through a reasonably rigorous diagnostic process, and you should know what is broke and what is dangerous and might cause any new bits of kit to die and ignoble death. It does sound pretty bad, but it might just be a corroded integrated circuit in the motherboard.

/the land of chocolate

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Right. I'll just whip out my soldering iron and have a go!

I eat ICs for lunch. :)

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Maybe contacting someone to check the computer so you know what really went wrong and so you don't buy new parts that don't need replacing? And so you know how to stop it from happening again?

You should find out what the problem is, first.

Well, I eliminated the three easiest possibilities. Monitor, PS, and video card. It's not the drives cause its not even POSTing. Pulled out all my cards on the off chance that something might be causing a problem there. No change. Switched the RAM around and reseated it. No help. Took everything apart except the proc and heat sink and put back the mobo, ram, video card, proc makign sure everything was nice and secure. Still nothing. By nothing I mean power light and fans, but nothing else. SO that leaves me with the either the mobo, ram, or proc as the problem source in all likelihood. They are a year and a half old so they are kind of a group thing at this point. Can't really change the processor without changing the mobo etc.

That might not be the best way to encourage the little silicon beasties to work ... though I have never tried it, personally. :)

I've never tried it either. We're like peas in a pod!

I went to Best Buy and looked at the XBOX ultimates or whatever the top of the heap is called. A mere $459. Peanuts! Maybe it is time to leave pcs behind after lo these many years, maybe this is a sign from god.

Bioshock is available on Xbox 360 ...

I know. I looked at the box. The screenies looked sweet, I must say.

I bought some parts today. I don't know if they work together really, but I like the colors.

I had the exact same thing happen to me this summer. But my motherboard comes with a built in button for resetting the BIOS and when I did that, it immediately started working again. You should try that. Find the manual for your motherboard and look up the reset function on it. It's usually just a matter of moving a tiny contact a few millimeters to the side for a few seconds and then back again. But since you didn't provide us with exact details about your system, I'm sure you can find it yourself.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

If there's a sign telling you to move to consoles then it's not a sign from God.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I had the exact same thing happen to me this summer. But my motherboard comes with a built in button for resetting the BIOS and when I did that, it immediately started working again. You should try that. Find the manual for your motherboard and look up the reset function on it. It's usually just a matter of moving a tiny contact a few millimeters to the side for a few seconds and then back again. But since you didn't provide us with exact details about your system, I'm sure you can find it yourself.

Hah. That's a good call. I should have tried resetting the bios. Didn't even think of that. oh well.

ANyway I got a core 2 duo 3.0 and a couple gigs of corsair RAM and an ASUS p5n32e-sli. Slapped it all together and it POSTed! wheeee.

Now I just have to start adding all the old parts back in.

I was just kidding about the color thing, btw. ;)

well, its all back and running now. New motherboard, new RAM, new processor, heck I even threw in a second video card so now I am running SLI on 2 8600gts. I wasn't planning on putting together a new system quite yet, but I guess I kinda did. Oh well, at least I am ready for Bioshock, STALKER 2, Fallout 3. Weird how these things happen.

Thank you, mkreku for tardiness! It is much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Anyway, speakign of BIOS stuff, I was having occaisonal random problems with what appeared to be memory issues. It appears the nforce 680i chipset is just a wee bit tempermental about memory timing and voltages. gah. I hate that crap. I just want it to run.

SO anyway, my bios was six months old so I updated to the current one, which was about 5 versions newer. Hopefully that wil solve my problems amd not force me to spend hours manually configuring my timing and voltage settings. Moving to a new system is always a pain in the butt as you learn its weirdnesses and labor to make it stable.

• 1 month later...