Mask of the Betrayer

Cantousent

People are pretty heated up about Epic BAB, but I have to admit that my temptation to start a parody thread about epic baobabs is at a critical level.

Why are they angry about that?

It isn't there, basically. BAB continues to progess like in normal levels, by class, and you continue to gain extra attacks.

And will the new PrCs have 10 or 20 total levels?

All PrCs have 5 or 10 levels. In PnP terms, there's no epic progression for them.

So we can have 2 prestige classes then, conceivably?

You always could.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

It isn't there, basically. BAB continues to progess like in normal levels, by class, and you continue to gain extra attacks.

What's wrong with that?

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

What's wrong with that?

the official epic rules kills continued usefulness of melee classes. why take levels o' fighter or even monk if you not get any better bab or more attacks than you would by taking archmage or somesuch?

'course now we gots a novel kinda argument that suggests that continued bab progression makes the taking levels o' melee... compulsory. 'cause with 40 levels the gap ' 'tween caster and melee classes becomes prohibitively great. is some truth to argument if you compares 40 levels o' wizard to 40 levels o' fighter, and then set up an encounter that forces the wizard to fire his crossbow at an Epic Dragon.

epic rules in d&d is stoopid and broken, and while obsidian approach is maybe less broken than wotc standard epic rules, the munchkins who has seen their super-caster builds gets busted should have sand support, 'cause obsidian clearly abandoned da rulez. we all know how sand feels 'bout deviation from rulez.

honestly, Gromnir has not looked close at numbers... 'caues we generally dislikes the d&d Mechanics beyond levels 12-15. clever prc combos and equipment configurations determine outcomes of encounter before they happen... might as well leave your dice at home. epic is already a big stinking steamy pile in our estimation, so am not particularly concerned if obsidian or wotc version gets some gold star for managing to be the more terrible incarnation.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Out of curiosity, is there a Castle building aspect in MotB?

Apparently not... IIRC some dev said so at the Bio boards.

What's wrong with that?

It's different from PnP.

Basically... BAB's at level 30:

High

PnP: 25/20/15/10

MotB: 30/25/20/15/10/5

Medium:

PnP: 20/15/10

MotB: 22/17/12/7/2

Low:

PnP: 15/10

MotB: 15/10/5

So, it's a rather big boost to warrior-types, with little change for others.

Well, all in all, it does come down to what Gromnir says; the fixed range for randomization means it just doesn't work with the huge level range.

EDIT: I don't care one way or another myself, really. I think a CRPG is going the wrong way from the point it starts trying to implement a PnP set literally anyway.

Edited by MrBrown

I think normal BAB is for better, it makes it somewhat reasonable to play as fighter in epic levels

My local store didn't have MotB yet so I'm playing OC with my human rogue/wizard which I plan to use in MotB too. Just reached Highcliff.

edit: Pope, check out NWN2 blog entries

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?automodule=blog

You really should stop smoking those things, man!

Edited by Pidesco

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

To be honest, Gromnir, I have always hated the epic rules in DnD and they are very broken. Broken rules I don't abide by and if Obsidian can make them less broken then more power to them.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

I'm running a fighter / Weapon Master now. Might add Knight of the Nine to that as well.

Which game are you playing, exactly? :wub:

Honestly, I've beaten NWN2 twice, with a monk and a warlock, both classes that don't lend themselves to PrCs at all. I just went vanilla. I've never really used PrCs at all in any capacity in any game.

I just turned my insanely boring paladin into some prestige class or another..Defender of something? Knight of a higher order? I don't remember. Point is, nothing happened. It's still as rigid and stilted as before. How is it possible for me to enjoy Silent Storm and Jagged Alliance 2 but not Nevewinter Nights 2? I find it so deadly boring to not be able to participate in combat other than once every 30 seconds press "heal" because some AI has made a fool of itself again.

I really, really want to like it but as things are going now, I don't see a point in buying the expansion.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I have always found the plain paladin as boring. A lively class is the Sorcerer. With the right spell combinations, and with Qara at your side, you can decimate large amounts of enemies in one round. I cast Scintillating Sphere. She casts Fireball. BOOOOOOOOOOM!

Out of curiosity, is there a Castle building aspect in MotB?

Apparently not... IIRC some dev said so at the Bio boards.

Damn shame. I really liked that part of the NWN 2 OC.

Oh well, guess I need to start a new character before I get the expansion. I was pretty disappointed with the NWN2 OC but I've heard some pretty nice things about the MotB campaign so I'll probably get a copy next week. Now to decide what kind of character to make...

Edited by Berserk

Bumped into two bugs I never had before in the main campaign, both show-stoppers. First Georg never appeared after gathering the militia in the village and now Daeghun (sp?) keeps telling me to go and get the shard even though it's in my pocket.

Think I'll just skip NWN2 and go straight to MotB since I can't be arsed restarting...though if anyone has a savegame at the beginning of Act 2 I'd be grateful. Monk would be awesome but I'll take anything at this point so long as it's not evil.

*suddenly remembers the size of a NWN2 savegame*

OK, if anyone with gigs of bandwidth has one I'd certainly appreciate it. ;)

Did you already lose your saved game? And do you know about the hotfix from Bioware. Don't know if it will fix your problem. I know others have had the same one.

Executive Producer

Thieves-Guild

I'm running a fighter / Weapon Master now. Might add Knight of the Nine to that as well.

Which game are you playing, exactly? ;)

Honestly, I've beaten NWN2 twice, with a monk and a warlock, both classes that don't lend themselves to PrCs at all. I just went vanilla. I've never really used PrCs at all in any capacity in any game.

Sorry! I was poking fun at the fact that you wrote Knight's of the Nine instead of Neverwinter Nine...Knights of the Nine being the Oblivion expansion.

I haven't had sex in a long time.

According to Anthony's post in RPGCodex, Obsidian's newly installed position of Audio Director and Art Director improved the quality of MotB by lots lots.

Nice! Now if only Obsidian has its own In-House cinematic team like Massive entertainment.

An example of Massive's jaw dropping trailer for WiC ;) :

Hah, that trailer wasn't anything special :thumbsup:

Blizzard is known for really decent vids, just watch Starcraft 2 or Wow trailers.

I've been playing Motb for a while now and reached act II. So far it has felt refreshing compared to official campaign. Focus is more on quality than quantity :)