Going to college BRB

thepixiesrock

animal house was so not like anything in reality.

taks

Actually it was based on the college experience of one of the creators of MAD. I don't know, I wouldn't say it was too unrealistic. Hmm, our house was always a mess, there was a lot of parties, there was a Belushi type guy who never seemed to actually go to class, we had a dean who was always trying to shut us down...yep, Animal House.

I'm sure your store bought friends came with some awesome side adventures

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I'm sure your store bought friends came with some awesome side adventures

Wow, you seem really bitter about something. What exactly does "store-bought" mean? If you join a club (or a message board) how are the friends you make there any different than those in a fraternity? Nobody is forcing anyone to be friends in a fraternity, and we certainly didn't all get along and sing brotherly hymns together. It's just a group of guys attending the same university. It's a social circle. There are other ways to get socially involved in college, but the Greek system is the most well known. Look, I'm not some hurrah hurrah frat guy who chants brothers for life, but I'm also not going to just dismiss an entire aspect of college based on some stereotype.

I always said I'd never marry a sorority chick. I based that on the stereotypical girls that came to our parties. But my wife and mother of my child is greek, and we met at a basement party at my fraternity.

Lets not pretend that what I said was difficult to understand, or that because I think that the practice is ridiculious that I'm bitter. I've crashed tons of frat parties, a few were pretty cool, most not so much, but hey, free beer. Most people I've meet at them who were pretty cool will tell you how stupid the whole thing is and that they only got involved because it seemed like the right thing to do out of highschool, or because a relative was a member or whatnot.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

you're starting to get the picture, chumpzilla

British universities are far superior. They opt instead for an arrogant sort of apathy where the students do pod all and claim this is being cool. Their only diversions are rowing, drinking tea, and flatulence. Much better than fraternities.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

animal house was so not like anything in reality.

taks

Actually it was based on the college experience of one of the creators of MAD. I don't know, I wouldn't say it was too unrealistic. Hmm, our house was always a mess, there was a lot of parties, there was a Belushi type guy who never seemed to actually go to class, we had a dean who was always trying to shut us down...yep, Animal House.

"Over!? Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

"Germans...?"

"Forget it he's rolling"

Classic! :)

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Actually, a fun thing to do would be to have a keg party with a keg of NA beer, but don't tell anyone its NA. Then see who acts drunk.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I already thought about it and I know only one guy who acts like a moron when he

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Actually, a fun thing to do would be to have a keg party with a keg of NA beer, but don't tell anyone its NA. Then see who acts drunk.

they did that with some of the pledge parties since pledging occurred while you were still in high school (at UMR). the reigning belief was that most high school students are not very well acquainted with mr. alcohol yet, so many will act drunk not knowing the difference. i, on the other hand, was already a bona fide boozer by the time i was 16, so there was no fooling of the taks man during pledge parties. :)

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Small aside, if you want NA 'booze' to taste stronger, add the juice of grated root ginger.

-Elwood Blues

You've turned my thread into an AA meeting without the guilt and shame.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

but with the coffee and smokes

plenty of both today, but no alcohol till friday. i'm reformed, at least reasonably so.

fret not pixies, not drinking is not a bad thing, and i'd guarantee i would have done better in school if i had abstained at least a little bit. i had the misfortune (from a drinking standpoint) of attending a school in the middle of the ozarks (read: redneck as they get) with about 20% of the school population consisting of the fairer sex. since it was a small town, there wasn't much to do but party, and since there weren't many females, said partying consisted of either dancing with other guys, or getting another beer. i opted for another beer. my grades were good enough that i could do that every night (literally) and still get a decent GPA. had i opted to join the dorms my first year, instead of a fraternity, my party options would have been limited somewhat to boot, though remembering the way i was, i would have found my niche anyway, i'm sure.

taks

On frats, college, etc.

Pledging was never an option for me. Even with my modest scholaship, college was expensive enough without paying astronomical "dues" every quarter (I guess they have to pay for all those kegs somehow).

I honestly wouldn't have wanted to join anyway. At my university (number two in the Princeton Review's party school rankings my senior year), the fraternity types were not the type of people with whom I would want to associate. I'm not saying it's like this at every school, but at my university the overwhelming majority of them were spoiled rich boys with popped collars and expensive cars. These guys were stereotypes.

You'd see them in class once in a great while, and you'd know by the amount of effort they put forth that there was no way they were paying their own way. For crying out loud, if your parents are going to shovel that much money at the diploma factory, the least you can do is try to learn something. So there's another concrete reason for the negative image.

Maybe I've got blue-collar bias, but my pontificating is based solely on my own experience. I have friends who attended smaller schools where pretty much everyone who lived on campus was in a fraternity or sorority, and they've loved it. All I know is that on a medium-to-large campus, you don't have to join a frat to meet girls or get drunk. You can do a damn fine job with either on your own, if you've got the inclination.

If there were "alternative" fraternities at my college, they didn't publicize themselves very well. There was the black fraternity, the community service fraternity, which was mostly girls, and a plethora of other clubs and organizations. The clubs are where the real diversity on campus can be found. Hell, there was an "Anime Club" at my school. They met in one of the big lecture halls every Friday night and watched anime films from 8 to midnight on a huge projection screen.

Pixies, I guarantee you there are people in your residence hall who will have "Heroes" parties when new episodes are on. If you keep your eyes open, you can let your inner geek out and find some new friends in the process.

I love how this thread has become part advice column, part nostalgia bender. "Heed my words, pixies, Muso, and whomever else may be venturing off to the land of keg stands and communal showers! For I have been to the apex of the mountain, and I have lived to tell the tale! Like that one time when Bill drank half a jug of Carlo Rossi and started yelling at passersby from the roof...good times."

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

Pledging was never an option for me. Even with my modest scholaship, college was expensive enough without paying astronomical "dues" every quarter (I guess they have to pay for all those kegs somehow).

at many schools, fraternities/sororities are actually MUCH cheaper than dorms, even including "dues" which are insignificant in the big picture.

I have friends who attended smaller schools where pretty much everyone who lived on campus was in a fraternity or sorority, and they've loved it. All I know is that on a medium-to-large campus, you don't have to join a frat to meet girls or get drunk. You can do a damn fine job with either on your own, if you've got the inclination.

UMR had 4800 students while i was there, 1500 or so were affiliated with a fraternity or sorority. about the same lived in the dorms, and the rest lived "off campus."

taks

I'm actually glad our college is nothing like the ones in States.

Don't mind me, no, but I don't think I'd like to live on campus and have to bear parties that take any account on social status. I live about 15 kilometres(17 mins by bus) from campus and all the people I meet are in the exact same situation as me: out of money, proud as **** to get in uni(in the 15% of all 18-20's) and pretty lost on what to do. Sure, there's some people whose parents obviously have money and networks to get their little ones good apartments and early admittance to some courses, but there's also people that have worked since they were 16 or just plain stubborn enough to pursue the better stuff.

Then there's us, normal folks. It's fun to not be in a pronounced minority for once, social or otherwise.

Also, I found out today that thanks to my open university year(the year everyone else either got in actual uni or got jobs) I've been granted senior status. Hah, I was a freshman for a week. I even had the flu, but even it died today.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

• 1 month later...