Going to college BRB

thepixiesrock

I will only have 4 courses left to do this year, so i will be working on my Master's thesis. Luckily for me, all the projects that i can choose from includes a nice monthly salary, so the lack of money will not be an issue for this student.

Oh, and Baley sounds like Gary Busey. or maybe you're his son, Jake Busey :ermm:

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Well, my second year of college was supposed to start last monday. They told us "come back tomorrow". Then we came back on tuesday, and they told us "come back next monday". So, I'm going back on monday and if I get told to come back some other day again, I'm going to flip out.

I will only have 4 courses left to do this year, so i will be working on my Master's thesis.

i'm done with classwork, yay! only the dissertation to work on. however, i do work 50 hours/week on my job, so finding time to really concentrate on my studies, which are nearly identical to what i do at work, is difficult. spending all day working through equations, then coming home to derive even more leaves me mentally exhausted.

Luckily for me, all the projects that i can choose from includes a nice monthly salary, so the lack of money will not be an issue for this student.

way cool. not so for mine, though i was paid for my MS thesis. i was only 1/4 time, however, but that was still $3k/semester.

in spite of the fact i think graduate studies are inherently easier, i still think my undergraduate days were much more fun. hopefully you're going away to school, pixies. your only real responsibilities will be to yourself, i.e. learning, which is the closest you'll get to perpetual vacation the rest of your life. :wacko:

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I will only have 4 courses left to do this year, so i will be working on my Master's thesis.

i'm done with classwork, yay! only the dissertation to work on. however, i do work 50 hours/week on my job, so finding time to really concentrate on my studies, which are nearly identical to what i do at work, is difficult. spending all day working through equations, then coming home to derive even more leaves me mentally exhausted.

Luckily for me, all the projects that i can choose from includes a nice monthly salary, so the lack of money will not be an issue for this student.

way cool. not so for mine, though i was paid for my MS thesis. i was only 1/4 time, however, but that was still $3k/semester.

in spite of the fact i think graduate studies are inherently easier, i still think my undergraduate days were much more fun. hopefully you're going away to school, pixies. your only real responsibilities will be to yourself, i.e. learning, which is the closest you'll get to perpetual vacation the rest of your life. :sorcerer:

taks

...And you have a family as well to take care of? Hats off to you sir! :sorcerer:

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

in spite of the fact i think graduate studies are inherently easier, i still think my undergraduate days were much more fun. hopefully you're going away to school, pixies. your only real responsibilities will be to yourself, i.e. learning, which is the closest you'll get to perpetual vacation the rest of your life. :mellow:

taks

$3k per semester is about one class. But I guess it's better than nothing. What EE discipline did you pick for your MS?

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I spent eight hours today in my room watching Heroes on DVD. Then I went to get something to eat but the cafateria was closed, so i just played piano for an hour. No I'll have to go to Jimmy John's or something. College is gay.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

It's only your fourth day there Pixies... a little early to get discouraged.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I was kidding. It's what I would have done the day after I bought Heroes on DVD regardless of where I was.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

I still haven't made any friends. Well, wait. I have six friends. Numbers one through six of my Heroes DVDs. I love them.

$3k per semester is about one class. But I guess it's better than nothing. What EE discipline did you pick for your MS?

since i graduated in 1995, and classes were about $400 each then, $3k was actually my entire tuition plus some. i had a job managing a bar, too, so i wasn't hurting for cash. my classes now are about $1100 each.

i'm signal processing and communications, though i started my MS doing digital and switched half way. ended up with 5 extra classes. phd is the same, DSP/comm. i'm rodger ziemer's last student before retirement. seems strange to fill that role.

meshugger, that's the hardest part, IMO, about school now. one point i did not mention is that motivation to study is difficult when you'd rather hang out with your family. keep that in mind, too, pixies... getting it ALL done now may be a good idea. :)

taks

I spent eight hours today in my room watching Heroes on DVD. Then I went to get something to eat but the cafateria was closed, so i just played piano for an hour. No I'll have to go to Jimmy John's or something. College is gay.

getting involved will be a requirement. the gaps in between classwork and studying are gut-wrenchingly boring. you may simply want to go hang out in your dorm's common area. you'll meet people eventually, making life at least bearable (as i recall, you don't otherwise partake in the ultimate friendship maker, alcohol, right?).

taks

This school is a pretty big party school, and I don't drink, so it's a pretty big barrier.

This school is a pretty big party school, and I don't drink, so it's a pretty big barrier.

You could always start plugging X then.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

hurlshot, i'm curious why you refer to your fraternity as a frat? i've never known a fraternity that does not explicitly consider the term "frat" to be derogatory. in fact, we are taught that almost immediately upon pledging.

taks

Maybe acceptance of their inherent gayness now comes in a package deal with their sense of entitlement. Also, wrong thread, so nah

Hmm, well I've never hear frat used in a derogatory fashion, but I'm sure it's regional. I went to a fairly low key school and most of the frats were fairly mellow. Of course there are plenty of greeks that fit Laozi's stereotype, but it'd be ignorant to assume that every house is like that. Have you seen Animal House? For every rich white kid frat there is an alternative house.

We dont have frats in Sweden but we do have student unions, the members of whom most are quite gay. They like to dress in overalls covered with cloth patches and sing songs.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "