Going to college BRB

thepixiesrock

As far as I know college Freshman aren't allowed to have a car during their first year, so parking would have nothing to do with, yet.

Or at least that's how it is at my sister's college.

Could at my college. I had a car.

Our university allows anyone to use a car, but they heavily promote other methods of transportation. The university is right on one of the major bike paths and a city bus pass is included in the student fees.

I liked to bike and walk at my college. We had a mini-downtown across the street. By that I mean bars. Plenty of walking distance housing and food, as well.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I didn't have a car in college, leading to a great many sprints to get work in on time, and the famous cry "I should have joined the Army. There'd have been less running to do."

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

UCCS, while being a major university, is primarily populated by commuters. they are expanding their on-campus housing through the addition of several new dorms, but in the end, most attendees live in town away from the school. not being allowed to drive would decimate their incoming population.

my first school, UMR, was also a major university, as well as a "go away to school" type university, but we were so small and so remote that barring freshmen from driving would be tantamount to a crime on humanity. we were required to live in "on campus" housing the first year or two, but fraternities qualified, so i moved into one immediately.

oh, for those that don't know, there are several "levels" of post-secondary public schools in the US. the first level, considered the major universities, consists of schools dubbed "The University of <insert state name here>". the next level would be "<insert state name here> State University" and on down the list to "Such and Such College," etc. there are, of course, others such as Rensaeller Polytechnic University, or Rutgers University, though those are usually private.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Update:

I'm moved into my dorm room. Don't worry about a roomate, because I don't have one. i got a single room, and lucked out with my own personal bathroom. My room is pretty sweet. As for drinking, I don't drink as of right now, so I don't think I have anything to worry about, yet. As far as taking classes and getting a degree, I'm planning on applying for the music school this november-ish, and trying to get into either their jazz program or composition. As for a car, Western allows you to have a car your first year, it just costs $300 for a parking pass. So I'll be paying the money and keeping my car here. As for towns, it's in Kalamazoo, and I hear it's a pretty neat town, so I'll be checking it out when I get a free chance.

Ummm, whatelse was there?

Also, thanks to everyone for your support, I read each and every one of your guys' posts, and they mean a lot to me.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

As far as taking classes and getting a degree, I'm planning on applying for the music school this november-ish,
As far as taking classes and getting a degree, I'm planning on applying for the music school this november-ish,

Nooooo! You're out of the family! After everything that you're mother and I went through you're going to be a hippy?

Good luck.

Edited by Tale

Good luck pixies with your music degree. I on the other hand was frantic today. I looked on my internet school component and it was filled with all kinds of crazyness and the sad thing is 3 of the classes that im taking are campus classes and they have more online stuff than my online classes. So I dropped intro to info systems and decided I'm going to UNLV and major in Accounting next year. So I realized that a few of the classes I've taken aren't going to transfer and in the end, out of th 4 classes I'm taking now 1 might transfer. So my advice to you is if you have any doubts about the school you are going to and have a school you might go to instead, find out what transfers and what doesn't or else you'll end up kicking yourself.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Depends on the town. It's almost stupid to have a car in Boulder whilst attending CU, considering the way the city itself is set up, but up here in Fort Collins it's best to have your own car.

Exactly. I did my undergrad at a campus in the middle of a large city in the Eastern U.S. Students were free to purchase parking passes at one of the commercial garages around campus, but those cost a ridiculously high amount of money (like, over $200 per month). And nobody needed one considering that there was a subway stop just a few blocks away.

Studying music at a school where it's taken seriously is extraordinarily hard work. I didn't do it-- my school had more of a dilletantte's music department, which suited me perfectly-- but a few friends of mine from high school tried it for a while. They all ended up switching out of fine arts to more traditional degrees.

2) i suppose that depends. :thumbsup: yeah, however, the stress of most design engineering jobs is way higher than the world understands. we engineers comprise about 3% of the population yet develop almost 100% of the products used by society.

I'm working on a new project and I have not been to class or gotten a good nights sleep since taking it over. I'm redesigning the microwave network for the West Central and South West Florida markets. It currently has 64 DS3s spread over 200 hops and it connects 3 switches and 117 cell base stations. We are eliminating a number of the hubs so I need to figure out a way to provide T1 transport to those 117 sites and 3 switches while cutting those 64 DS3s down to 28, and rerouting to accomedate for the hubs we are shutting down. And on top of that, I can only use assets at hand. No landline T1s, no new microwave radios. And of course, I am on this project alone. And I just found out today that we will relinquish our 10 GHz spectrum license at the end of the year so that leaves me with just five 6 GHz channels to work with and the FCC requires us to maintain N+2 channel spacing. This is...STRESS!

Pixies, best of luck in your degree choice. But as Enoch said, keep your mind open and leave yourself an out to switch if you change your mind.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Actually, the Mountain Dew sounds ike a great life experience, and why do you need to park if you live on or near campus?

It wasn't. By the end of the semester I wanted to rip out his major organs and decorate the room with them and lay out his skin as a welcome mat, then chuck his brain at this annoying math profession that droned on and on in a monotone voice while he was in the middle of his lecture. Grrr...

Also there were people at my college would drive into the class room if they could get away with it and they lived in the freakin' dorms.

Hmmm... I wanted to kill and main them to. I think I might have a lot of pent up aggression towards those people. :thumbsup:

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I still don't think telling Pixie not to interact with anyone and sit in his appartment playing Fallout until his classes start is a good idea.

Where the hell did I say that? You meet a lot of different people on the bus, also when you move to an apartment you can take a good look aroudnt he neighborhood. Where I live it is in the Historical district of the town and they have a neighborhood society that one can join up and be a part of the community. Just because you live outside the dorms doesn't mean you are cutoff from people. :)

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

Is this a good thread to tell that all my dormmates are womenfolk, from Latvia, Russia, London and Hong Kong respectively, lunches cost almost nothing here and that I'm lost in the campus area, looking for a noticeboard? Second day of college and I'm totally lost on stuff and also many kinds of awesome.

Good stuff:

-I actually have a place to sleep

-Dining is cheap

-There's like free parties and stuff

-This is a top-of-the-line, prestigious, language department of the second biggest uni in Finland.

-Womenfolk

Not-that-decent Stuff

-My room has no light, no furniture except a broken chair and it's ways off uni.

-It's not permanent accomodation, but a temporary acco from student union for a month

-Internet only from campus, and I don't even own a 'puter

-I've missed all bonding occasionals so far because I can only check up on things from the campus 'puters

I miss Bioshock.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Guest The Architect
So you intend to live home with your mummy til your over 21 years old? :( *giggles*

Wait, why is that funny?

It's an inside thing between The Architect and I, so no offence. :)

:*

Umm... Yes, your point being? The question still stands, jerk face. :shifty:

Off topic: Apart from Singapore and Hong Kong, I don't have a good idea of what the costing of living is in other countries around the world, all I can say is, I'd be surprised if I move out of home before 25, as decent houses like the one I'm living in cost like $400, 000 {AUS} + nowadays, and with soon to come rising interest rates again on the agenda, it's gonna get even worse before it gets better... Uh, if it gets better, but I have reason to believe there's light at the end of the tunnel.

On topic... Well sort of: I don't know how high it is on your agenda TPR, all I want to say is, in regards to scoring with :brows: college chicks... At college... Well, this applies to anyone really, in partae situations or the like, I salute you if you can score with :brows: chicks {and by that I don't mean women with monobrows or anything} without getting them drunk, because I mean, big deal, anyone can get a girl drunk and score with them. Piece of piss. But without gettin' them on the piss, that is something that not everyone can do. Mind you, all the good looking ones will probably be pissed anyway, regardless of whether you get them that way in the first place or not, so really, you can't lose.

This isn't much, but my advice is {even though I haven't been to Uni yet, I can still give advice}

1. Eat and drink well. You'll be able to think and focus better and stuff. Sure, we all know that, but in spite of that, many people that know that still don't do it! Make sure you do.

2. Getting along with most the people at the college and making friends with them and stuff is important, because you need to make sure you're in an environment of people that like you and stuff, to take pressure off your mind and relax it, so your mind isn't ticking over about your social status there and stuff like that, but instead, is more focused on your studies, which is what it needs to be concentrated on, obviously.

3. Get at least 8 hours of sleep per night, or whenever nights before study/lecture/whatever days. I mean, I went to bed at 1am last night, and found myself doing stuff all TAFE today, because even though I was awake since 8.30am today, my brain felt like it was asleep, and really, feels like it's only been awake since just after dinner.

And that's it from me.

Edited by The Architect

As a student I was living off about $12,000 a year for 6 years. God, I'm going to miss those days. Maybe I should continue to live in efficiencies.

Edited by Tale

I still don't think telling Pixie not to interact with anyone and sit in his appartment playing Fallout until his classes start is a good idea.

Where the hell did I say that? You meet a lot of different people on the bus, also when you move to an apartment you can take a good look aroudnt he neighborhood. Where I live it is in the Historical district of the town and they have a neighborhood society that one can join up and be a part of the community. Just because you live outside the dorms doesn't mean you are cutoff from people. :thumbsup:

Well I can only speak from experience, but having been to uni twice, and having had a lot to do with students (i.e. dating them) I can say that lioving out and bussing in is an almost surefire way to miss out on a lot. Much better to live in, however much it sucks. It's like being a boarding pupil at school. It sounds awful, but you never get fully immersed otherwise.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Will you have to live in a room with another man? :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Another bit of advice, do not sign up for a 8am class.

Where the hell did I say that? You meet a lot of different people on the bus, also when you move to an apartment you can take a good look aroudnt he neighborhood. Where I live it is in the Historical district of the town and they have a neighborhood society that one can join up and be a part of the community. Just because you live outside the dorms doesn't mean you are cutoff from people. :thumbsup:

Well I can only speak from experience, but having been to uni twice, and having had a lot to do with students (i.e. dating them) I can say that lioving out and bussing in is an almost surefire way to miss out on a lot. Much better to live in, however much it sucks. It's like being a boarding pupil at school. It sounds awful, but you never get fully immersed otherwise.

I'll add to what's going on here. In my six years, I only made one friend the last four years, but made several the first two. The difference was the first two I lived on campus, the last four I lived in my apartment. You're more likely to meet people hanging out in front of the dorm than riding the bus or attending class.