Going to college BRB

thepixiesrock

@Tale: you should have had a Dreamcast. My roommate puked all over mine one night. After a thorough scrubbing, it still worked fine (and still does, years later).

I had and still have a Dreamcast. Didn't have it at college my second year (storage). But, interestingly I've heard a much worse story about an original Xbox. An apartment caught fire, the firemen came and doused the place in water. They dried it out, worked fine.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I concur with everything Drabek says.

I'll add "undecided" is a perfectly fine major for the first couple years. Don't be so sure that you know what you want before you've tried some of the alternatives. Yeah, you'll probably want to graduate with something a little bit practical (unless your career plans involve spending your 30s working as a Starbucks barrista while you finish your dissertation), but that doesn't mean that you can't toy with the idea of studying jazz composition or Yiddish literature.

Definitely chooose something with process skills, rather than general smarts skills. This means engineering, experimental sciences, operational analysis, etc, rather than advertising or English. These skills have to be learned a certain way and drummed in. Which makes them cash valuable.

Having said that you should also try to accrue smarts skills, just in your free time. I suggest you put your pants on over your trousers and fight crime.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

The key to avoiding hangovers is to not stop drinking.

I joined a frat, and that was a very good experience. Every frat is different though, so you've got to find one that fits your personality. Mine was the type that had massive games of Heroes of Might and Magic 3 going on, so I guess it wasn't really atypical.

Don't drop classes. Have fun, but always remember finishig classes is why you are there. Beg professors if necessary, they are all pretty soft.

Definitely chooose something with process skills, rather than general smarts skills. This means engineering, experimental sciences, operational analysis, etc, rather than advertising or English. These skills have to be learned a certain way and drummed in. Which makes them cash valuable.

Having said that you should also try to accrue smarts skills, just in your free time. I suggest you put your pants on over your trousers and fight crime.

Sure, sure, take engineering courses... if you want to make a good living!

I've got a much more palatable suggestion: Take recreational classes if they're available. Especially ones that focus on something you've never done before. They usually meet only twice a week for an hour or so, and they're very useful in filling out your class schedule.

For instance, if you're one credit short of reaching your quota of class hours for that particular semester, see if you can take softball -- or broomball if your university offers it (that might be a Midwest thing, I'm not sure).

I took a tennis class my first year of college, then bowling and raquetball later -- all things I'd never done before. I ended up liking raquetball so much, I took it twice. I had a friend who took canoeing for credit. Also, more and more universities are offering classes in Belly Dancing. Seriously.

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

Three pieces of advice...

1. Never live in the dorms. You will never get any privacy.

2. Don't live near campus. Rent is way over priced for the quality of apartment.

3. Know your bus routes. It is the most economical way to go to and from campus, and less of a hassle to find a parking space.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

All the stress about what type of degree you get isn't nearly as important as simply getting a degree. Seriously, there are plenty of folks working jobs that have nothing to do with their degree. The key is that they were able to complete something, and that's what companies tend to value when you go into an interview.

2. Don't live near campus. Rent is way over priced for the quality of apartment.

Madness. My apartment was cheap and perfect!

3. Know your bus routes. It is the most economical way to go to and from campus, and less of a hassle to find a parking space.

Way to suck the joy out of life, Hades. Your advice to a new college student is to avoid interaction with his peers and take the bus to campus? Why not just come out and say "try to be that weird guy nobody has met outside of class who runs off mumbling something about a bus schedule every time anyone tries to talk to him"?

Way to suck the joy out of life, Hades. Your advice to a new college student is to avoid interaction with his peers and take the bus to campus? Why not just come out and say "try to be that weird guy nobody has met outside of class who runs off mumbling something about a bus schedule every time anyone tries to talk to him"?

I was going to say the same thing. This links to the single most important rule: Try stuff. Especially stupid stuff.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I got my books today. 5 classes, 500 dollars, somewhere around 10 books. I hate those bastardos!! >:) <---thats me going to put many a peoples balls in a wood chipper.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

books for my most recent classes were $100 each. many of the books i still buy are often $150 or more.

btw, where i went to school, fraternities were the most economical living accomodations... by a large margin. fraternity members generally perform better, as an average, than the all men's average GPA as well. sororities do, too, but they're typically more expensive than dorms as well (nicer accommodations i suppose).

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I assume you chaps have considered asking your local rotarians or businesses for contributions on your books? If you have any cool ambitions after college you can add those to your begging letters. It can only cost you a few stamps!

-Elwood Blues

Guest Accept
{which won't be the case, as ECU, the University I intend to go to when I turn 21, is only about 25 minutes away from where I live, and I'd rather live at home than some meh room

So you intend to live home with your mummy til your over 21 years old? :shifty: *giggles*

----------

Here in Sweden we don't have College like you have. We have a thing called H

Edited by Accept

Guest Accept
So you intend to live home with your mummy til your over 21 years old? :shifty: *giggles*

Wait, why is that funny?

It's an inside thing between The Architect and I, so no offence. :shifty:

:shifty:

How is it joyful to have a manic depressive roommate that is noisily up all night and constantly drinking your Mountain Dew? How is it fun to spend 2 hours trying to find a parking space, missing half your first class of the day because the only open space is more than 2 miles away?!?!?

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

How is it joyful to have a manic depressive roommate that is noisily up all night and constantly drinking your Mountain Dew? How is it fun to spend 2 hours trying to find a parking space, missing half your first class of the day because the only open space is more than 2 miles away?!?!?

Even I never had those problems.

In fact, if it weren't for one of my short term roommates, I would most definitely not be here. He introduced me to Counter-Strike, Half-Life, Aliens vs. Predator 2 and, with those, brought me back into computer gaming. Which led to me getting a computer. Finding out about the campus Counter-Strike server. Making me a regular at my first message board. Going to LAN parties. The landslide of fun has never ended!

Edited by Tale

Actually, the Mountain Dew sounds ike a great life experience, and why do you need to park if you live on or near campus?

As far as I know college Freshman aren't allowed to have a car during their first year, so parking would have nothing to do with, yet.

Or at least that's how it is at my sister's college.

Could at my college. I had a car.