Just bought a new copy if the game - is it legit?!!!

Ok, I had a lot of issues with Kotor, so I rebought it and I recieved the game today.

It was sealed, but it is in a box two times the normal DVD version. On the side, between the front and the back, it is gold.

Inside, the manual is BLACK AND WHITE, and does not match the number on the CDs, unlike my old version did.

Is it meant to be this way?!

Please help me <3

-------------

Edit: I'm realyl sorry I just realised this was for Kotor 2. I just associated the forum with the whole Kotor plotline... I don't know how to delete this but if anyone could PM me if they do know as I need to know if I should try to return it or if it was meant to be this way (what concerns me is the manual).

Edited by Kahiara

You might be better advised posting on the Lucasarts website (there is a section of the message boards solely for KOTOR), if anyone would be able to answer your question it would be them.

Its possible your game is ligitamate, given how long it has been since the game first came out a new copy of K1 might have the manual in a different colour and the box is more than likely different-its hard to tell since you didn't say where you are (USA? UK?). If the game was bought from a large and well known company-ie Lucasarts-then its very likely to be perfectly ok. If you bought it from a private source or smaller company it might be a copy-the only people who might know would be LA. It could also be an imported copy of KOTOR, which would explain the different packaging and manual-if it was imported from a country where the manual was written in a different language they might have included a copy of the english manual, rather than the original.

If this IS a copy I'd be very, very wary of using it. No so much because its illegal but because you have no idea what else might be on the disk.....

Whatever the case may be I'd say you need to talk to LA, not to Obsidian since they didn't work on K1.

Edited by Darth Mortis

I am going to lambast you if you could have easily gone to a gaming store and bought the game in person but instead decided to "trust" mail ordering. If you got it from a licensed distributor, its probably legit, if you got it from anyone/anywhere else, it is most likely an illegal copy, especially if the manual is B&W as well there are two different key codes.

wookiedance.gif

Sounds like the new Lucasarts release style for Star Wars games.

Doesn't explain the B&W manual however.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I am going to lambast you if you could have easily gone to a gaming store and bought the game in person but instead decided to "trust" mail ordering. If you got it from a licensed distributor, its probably legit, if you got it from anyone/anywhere else, it is most likely an illegal copy, especially if the manual is B&W as well there are two different key codes.

No I couldn't have. ^^

And I contacted the seller, I bought if of someone on amazon, BUT, they are part of a company and they have a big website etc. They said that it's what the new games all have, but the CDs do work well. They said they would send me a coloured manual because they have some they have collected over time there?

Hmm, well... The game works, so I guess I'm happy... it was just weird with the manual and the case of the game being thick with a gold size as I've seen it think on the net but no gold...

Oh, Darth Mortis, I'm in the UK. AND OMG, (sorry you saying that prompted me to check something) I've realised the R1 on the CDS must stand for region 1... that is SO annoying too.

I feel like crying, I'm not being irrational but you don't understand the stress little things like to inflict on me. NOTHING ever goes smoothly. Eg. I bought Kotor twice, and so many problems... I bought Baldur's gate in duplicate for essentially every items and have issues. *takes a deep breath*

Ok, so we've established it's American but I bought it off amazon.co.uk and on the seller's website they say "This is the genuine United Kingdom version - not a cheap import" - However I bought from that same seller linked to that shop with the same address, but on the amazon thing all it says is "FACTORY SEALED - DISPATCHED IMMEDIATELY BY FIRST CLASS POST (AIR MAIL IF YOU ARE OUTSIDE THE UNITED KINGDOM)".

Should I have expected a UK version?

Please help guys, I know this is not entirely relevant to Kotor 2 but I'm 17, just spent all my money buying the game, can't deal with business things like amazon and don't have a clue if I can ask for a refund etc. As I have opened it, but is it what I expected to order?

T_T

I really have to ask why nothing in my life ever runs smoothly. :S

What do I do? :S

Ok, if anyone is in UK:

Please go to the character attributes page, does it say, DEFENCE, spelt in english?

I can't test my old version as CD doesn't work, that's why I bought a new version.

Now we've established that this is some weird (no offence) American version, do you think I could ask for a refund? I have opened it... Or I could ask for an exchange if they have a genuine english version?

In my defence, they can't argue I didn't post it back asap as it's still a bank holiday before post starts again, so I guess I have a week from Tuesday, as I recieved it on Saturday, therefore posting on Saturday would have made no difference, if that makes sense...

I know this forum isn't for advice completely but you guys are seriously my only hope :S I don't want to end up with 3 versions of the game.

Am I allowed to claim that because the seller on their website says it's genuinely UK, and they are on the UK amazon that it is in my right to return it saying it was not what I was expecting?

It is unsealed now but perfect condition and the two issues - manual, (but they said they would send me a spare in colour), and more importantly, american. :S

I am chronicaly unlucky. I even got a debit card in debt once. :rolleyes: I have a bad credit rating probably, of

Edited by Kahiara

How did you come to the conclusion that it's an American version?

Words are spelt wrongly (my perspective).

Eg. defense/ should be defence.

It says R1.

The box is similar to the American Best of Star Wars games thing and the other thick normal Kotor for USA.

And something else I noticed in dialog earlier today but I thought nothing of it. I know it doesn't seem major but it means something to me...

Could I comment on how the person was selling on amazon UK and therefore it should be assumed it is a UK version?

Should I mention the website in conjunction?

Do you think they can reseal products? I mean I have barely laid a hand on their game - I'd even been using my old play disc. (no, language isn't relevant to play disc, before you suggest that).

:S

So...you are telling me that you live in the UK...and couldn't find a game store?

Maybe if you lived in Ethiopia I would understand...but the UK...I think you might just be lazy... :rolleyes:

If it works, it works...the ends justify the means.

Not one that sold it no.

Kotor 2 is a lot easier to find than Kotor 1.

But thanks for the encouragement. T_T

Words are spelt wrongly (my perspective).

Eg. defense/ should be defence.

It says R1.

The box is similar to the American Best of Star Wars games thing and the other thick normal Kotor for USA.

And something else I noticed in dialog earlier today but I thought nothing of it. I know it doesn't seem major but it means something to me...

Could I comment on how the person was selling on amazon UK and therefore it should be assumed it is a UK version?

Should I mention the website in conjunction?

Do you think they can reseal products? I mean I have barely laid a hand on their game - I'd even been using my old play disc. (no, language isn't relevant to play disc, before you suggest that).

:S

None of this adds up to it being the US version. Especially not defence being defense. They're not going to relocalize the same language.

If they advertised that they were selling the UK version of KOTOR and they've sent you a US version they are guilty of false advertising and you should be entitled to either a replacement (A UK version) or your money back under UK consumer rights laws-this is regardless of if this is a perfectly legal copy or not. This is regardless of if you opened the packaging in this case or not-opening the packaging would only be relivant if you were asking to exchange the game for other reasons, such as it being a present and wanting to swop it for another title, and not because they've mislead you.

My advice, contact Amazon and complain (noting that the seller is misadvertising their goods). If you need further help I'd advise dropping into your local Citizens advice Bureu tomorrow and explaining the situation to them, they know consumer laws better than I do and if need be can put you in touch with people who might be able to provide better help. You'd be astonished how helpful companies can suddenly become when the CAB gets involved and there is a chance of them having to explain themselves to a Judge-or worse the press.

The good news is that I don't think there should really be any practical problems in playing the US version on a UK computer, apart from the differences in spelling, unless the games movies are on DVD (Since you'd have to set your DVD to a different region, and you can only change a DVD player's region a couple of times before you can't do so again.) As you've clearly managed to load the game this doesn't seem to be a problem.

So...you are telling me that you live in the UK...and couldn't find a game store?

Maybe if you lived in Ethiopia I would understand...but the UK...I think you might just be lazy...

I've not seen K1 in shops in the UK for quite sometime. While it has been out on white label (Budget price) that was around a year ago, and copies are very hard to come by even in the larger stores. You can get K1 as part of a LA/SW package that includes a couple of SW games but even this is hard to find now, and of course its not that cheap even if you can find it.

Edited by Darth Mortis

The good news is that I don't think there should really be any practical problems in playing the US version on a UK computer, apart from the differences in spelling, unless the games movies are on DVD

Unless she's running a badly counterfeit copy (not just pirated or foreign region, but actually counterfeit), she should have no problems with regioning for a PC game.

I found a Best Of PC collection that's got KoTOR I, Empire At War, Battlefront I, Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast and Republic Commando, plus a trial disc for Galaxies, all for
Edited by Tale

Ok well - I realsied th defense thing later lol but...

It definately is US. It says color.

I am trying the save on my other computer which still has the UK version installed and the UK disc, but can't be reinstalled (scratched cd2). If it says colour, then I shall complain to them.

Also, I didn't want the Best of PC, I just wanted Kotor, hence the not finding it in shops.

And they did not specify if it would be UK or US on amazon, but it was amazon UK, and on their website they do say UK, but that is their website that only accepts paypal and is

Ok well both versions seem to spell colour, color. So I guess I'm satisfied.

The weird thing is, the way the manual and case have the same number and R1, but the cd has a slightly different one and no R1... I guess I can live with that ^^

Thank you guys for all your help - I guess both versions of the game are the same? So it shouldn't matter?

Like I said, they're not going to relocalize the same language.

PC games (the media and the game content) don't care about region. The reason they package and market differently is for different audiences and to help keep track of how well things sell in a region for future marketing and development. I'm sure there's more to it, but that's some basics.

To directly answer your question in regards to game CDs/DVDs. US CDs are no different than UK CDs beyond who stamped them, how they were packaged, and where they were shipped to. Unless there's particularly extenuating circumstances (such as for Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy where content had to be removed for the US release) or the publisher is insane.

Edited by Tale

Thank you very much for clearing that up with me :blink:

And I got a reply from them, this is rich, I swear they have a go at me:

Many thanks for your email

There has not been a UK edition of this game for over 2 years.

The only game currently available is from the USA and we have to import

them from the USA which is expensive for us.

As you correctly point out, the US packaging is slightly larger then the

old UK dvd cases.

However, we (and everyone else) have only sold the US edition, for the

last two years. It would be impossible for anyone to do anything else

(until Lucas Arts manufacture more for the UK, which is unlikely at the

moment).

We would state "This is the genuine United Kingdom version - not a

cheap import" for Knights of the Old Republic 2 which is still

available. Hopefully, it is not written anywhere with Knights of the Old

Republic 1. ((UM NO, IT IS ADVERTISED ON YOUR WEBSITE AS THAT))

We have sent you a coloured manual. Again, it is from an earlier US

edition (about a year ago) all current manuals are black and white.

There is no difference (other than the packaging) between the US and UK

editions and as you can see from our feedback on Amazon and Ebay, no one

has ever been unhappy with the game. ((They threaten me I swear there with reputation, when they are in the wrong))

However, If you are at all unhappy with the game we will refund it for

you.

Best regards

Well I guess I will keep the game, but I still feel a bit annoyed at this... just the way they rant at me for asking the question. *sigh*

Wow, so you were right. I'd applaud but it'd look like I was being sarcastic. It does explain the large case though. You lucky brits get those nice slim DVD cases. Glad you got your color manual at least.

I don't think they're threatening reputation or anything. They're just saying nobody else has complained, which makes sense because there's no significant difference beyond packaging.

Could you link to where they make the claim for KOTOR 1? Perhaps e-mail them back with that link and point out where they are making the mistake.

If the company is advertising their copies of KoTOR as 'UK' versions, yet sell USA ones, they are clearly guilty of false advertising. Didn't Kahiara say that he/she decided to buy from that particular vendor, whose product was more expensive than other vendors (who state their product is the USA edition) SPECIFICALLY because they advertised a bonafide UK edition? Sure, it's a trivial matter, but 'nobody else complained' doesn't quite make up for misleading advertising and Kahiara could have saved money by buying it cheaper from one of the others.

Edited by refuse

If the company is advertising their copies of KoTOR as 'UK' versions, yet sell USA ones, they are clearly guilty of false advertising. Didn't Kahiara say that he/she decided to buy from that particular vendor, whose product was more expensive than other vendors (who state their product is the USA edition) SPECIFICALLY because they advertised a bonafide UK edition? Sure, it's a trivial matter, but 'nobody else complained' doesn't quite make up for misleading advertising and Kahiara could have saved money by buying it cheaper from one of the others.

I just reread the thread and did not catch her say that. As far as I can still tell, she's upset because she's afraid it either won't work or that there's some sort of otherwise difference between them.

I'm sure it's an entirely honest mistake on the part of the retailer.

I have attempted to guilt trip them in the email for that.

And I wasn't going to show the link because I felt I'd respect their confidence (I'm too nice). But the link is, but don't have a go at them, I guilt tripped :)

http://www.bulletsoftware.com/page/swkotor.html

And refuse you are completely right! Although, I have already sent them an email, and haven't yet found a cheaper seller (the american amazon ones won't ship lol) but I am sure it would be cheaper. Also, on their page you will see