Little problem

Hey all,

Was rather late to KOTOR I and II but have played them a lot. After accidently destroying my copy of KOTOR II i recently brought another one and patched it up but i'm running into performance problems. I've just started over and am now on Citadel station after being freed from house arrest and have started to decide wether to go dark or light and well...i get system lag when i walk around.

My PC is

P4 3.06ghz

1 Gig ram

GF 7600GT 256 with latest (162.18) drivers

so i'm well above the recommended,but on closer look it doesn't recognise my G-card as being good enough even though it's way better. Is there some sorta way to fix this? I'm not new to altering ini files or anything as i'm a server admin and head of the mod team for another game so that don't scare me, i've just never played around with KOTOR and not read into the hows of modding the game.

any help most appreciated >_<

I"m not sure as to which graphics card you have, cause i'm not really into all this computer stuff, but i have read that KOTOR doesn't seem to agree with certain graphics cards. I don't know why, but if you have something like that, then it will lag a bit. I can't really help you fix it though. NOt my area of expertise

Try turning off all background programs before playing. Firewalls, anti-virus programs etc will take up memory that can be used to run the game-so turning them off might help smooth the game out even if they are not conflicting with the games otherwise.

Another thing to try to to lower the graphics settings-which you can do easilly enough. The install program for the KOTOR games has a nasty tendency to set the graphics options higher than the PC can handle without lag-K1 set the graphics options to high for me even though the card I was using at that time was the lowest card that would run the game. Try tinkering with the grahics options, it might help.

You should be aware that there are areas of the game that have a tendency to lag regardless of the card you're using, and some cards will lag at points anyway. If I'm reading your specs correctly you have a GeForce card, and these can have lag issues-there is a solution in the FAQ section, but it would involve you manually altering some lines in the KOTOR folders.

Have you got the latest version of direct X? might be worthwhile updating to the lastest version if you don't have it.

Edited by Darth Mortis

If I remember correctly, the 7600s were designed to be a less powerful, but also less expensive, version of the 6800 for causal gamers. You might want to turn the graphics settings down, as was already suggested.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Hey all,

Was rather late to KOTOR I and II but have played them a lot. After accidently destroying my copy of KOTOR II i recently brought another one and patched it up but i'm running into performance problems. I've just started over and am now on Citadel station after being freed from house arrest and have started to decide wether to go dark or light and well...i get system lag when i walk around.

My PC is

P4 3.06ghz

1 Gig ram

GF 7600GT 256 with latest (162.18) drivers

so i'm well above the recommended,but on closer look it doesn't recognise my G-card as being good enough even though it's way better. Is there some sorta way to fix this? I'm not new to altering ini files or anything as i'm a server admin and head of the mod team for another game so that don't scare me, i've just never played around with KOTOR and not read into the hows of modding the game.

any help most appreciated :*

also try to keep AA details in your Graphics Options quite low (not over 4x). I know that this doesn't really look fantastic in game, but AA is known to eat memory and lag a computer down to pieces.

"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster - and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes into you"

QUOTE(The Architect @ May 9 2007, 05:18 PM)

And if LA announces KotOR III will never be made shortly after TSLRP is shut down, is it reasonable to assume that what happened to Alderaan in A New Hope would happen to LA HQ?

Thanks for the replies guys (or gals)

The 7600's are a slightly stripped down 7900 but more powerful than a 6800..i'll try the AA idea and lowering graphics. I'll also look at the FAQ's again..i think i missed it...any idea what i'm looking for?

I have the up to date Direct X as well

Oh and it is a new install,so i don't think it's the new discs on the old load.Bit late to do it tonight so i'll try em out tomorrow

The 7600's are a slightly stripped down 7900 but more powerful than a 6800..

I doubt that, I have a 6800 Ultra and I know for a fact it out preforms a 7600. Also, you have the GT, not the GTX, so I would double-check your assertion. For instance, I can run Kotor II with all the graphics options turned on without any problems; something the 7600 seems to be unable to accomplish... :o

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot