The Return of the son of The Comic Thread

Kaftan Barlast

They did kill Jan Grey and I thought she was pretty popular. But even if they do kill Mystique, no one, and I mean no one, stays dead for long in a marvel comicbook :)

Well Jean Grey is popular...

...BUT she's died several times already. It always seems like characters who've died die a lot more if they come back.

And in fact there's some belief that she's already come back...

Kaftan, have you seen the new character pictures from the Watchmen movie yet?

For anyone who hasn't seen them: http://rss.warnerbros.com/watchmen/

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I remember Jean grey actually said to Scott "All I ever did was die on you" the last time she died, or was it the time before that?

But regarding Mystique, I miss her own series, no one can write Mystique like Brian K. Vaughn and he's on his way to become as popular as Neil Gaiman so he doesnt do mainstream titles anymore. In the last year of X-men, they've just written her as an irrational whackjob that does things like shoot Rogue for no reason. It's like the writers cant be bothered to expl

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I dunno, I like Watchmen, League & From Hell (and Top 10 and Promethea and a bunch of other stuff from Moore). Not sure that I can say I like one better than the other; I will say Watchmen (like V for Vendetta) is very much a reaction to a time and place that don't necessarily exist anymore.

I read about some of the stuff Mystique was supposed to have done recently and it raised an eyebrow. I'm kind of curious, given that there is skrull-paranoia around (given the upcoming Secret Invasion story) if her actions are going to be tied to that (either in having been replaced by a skrull at some point prior to her weird actions or by having her figure out who some skrulls were and reacting to that). Its just hard to say at this point (although it seems Cyclops' recent actions are rather suspicious too...a "licensed to kill" X-group? :lol: )

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Ooh, it would definently be marvel-esque to have Wolverine kill Mystique, only to find out she was a Skrull. I hope secret invasion will be a step-up from "World War Hulk", that was easily the worst and least interesting crossover event Marvel has ever done. Hopefully they wont do too much history revision in the form of "well that didnt really happen because X was really a skrull", like thy usually do.

Have you read that whole thing about marvel "resetting" Spiderman and nullifying everything thats happened since the late 70

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Didn't read through the thread because its too long but a real comic, none of this haberdashery nonsense. Sky doll. Just finished reading 3 of the chapters, theres supposedly a fourth one in production. The art style is awesome and the plot is pretty neat, nothing insane but it was cool. It's in only published in France so if you want to read it you'll have to rapidshare an anon translation, not that I'm advocating piracy or anything....

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Sky Doll a real comic? I read that in Heavy Metal and I was not perticularly impressed.

Ooh, it would definently be marvel-esque to have Wolverine kill Mystique, only to find out she was a Skrull. I hope secret invasion will be a step-up from "World War Hulk", that was easily the worst and least interesting crossover event Marvel has ever done. Hopefully they wont do too much history revision in the form of "well that didnt really happen because X was really a skrull", like thy usually do.

Have you read that whole thing about marvel "resetting" Spiderman and nullifying everything thats happened since the late 70

Edited by Amentep

I don't see it mentioned anywhere on Obsidian's boards, so I thought I would bring it up...

Steve Gerber, the man who created Howard the Duck and wrote a lot of the more intriguing comics to come from the major publishers since the 1970s passed away February 11, 2008.

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=146401

Mark Evanier has kept open Steve's old blog with various updates and threads for people to discuss their thoughts and such: http://www.stevegerber.com/sgblog/

I had been reading Steve's update on DC venerable Doctor Fate character (which was really well done) and even though I'd known how sick he was had always been hoping against hope he'd get the transplant he needed.

I've read about the resetting of Spider-Man so that

Aunt May is back alive and Peter is no longer married. He and Mary Jane sold their marriage/love to Mephisto to bring May back from the dead. Which is kinda creepy really; Peter wants his Aunt more than his wife? :wub: Supposedly the Brand New Day stories have been fun, but nothing that's happened makes me want to pick the book up (particularly now that its weekly).

Would be funny if they reveal Aunt May was replaced by a skrull and Peter sold his marriage to bring the skrull replacement back though... :thumbsup:

Sky Doll is supposed to be translated here in the US in May, IIRC.

Its not even wanting Aunt May more than his wife thats the worst part, its sacrificing his life with his wife in order to save the life of a 95 year old woman who should have been dead years ago anyway.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I've read about the resetting of Spider-Man so that

Aunt May is back alive and Peter is no longer married. He and Mary Jane sold their marriage/love to Mephisto to bring May back from the dead. Which is kinda creepy really; Peter wants his Aunt more than his wife? :x Supposedly the Brand New Day stories have been fun, but nothing that's happened makes me want to pick the book up (particularly now that its weekly).

Would be funny if they reveal Aunt May was replaced by a skrull and Peter sold his marriage to bring the skrull replacement back though... :lol:

Sky Doll is supposed to be translated here in the US in May, IIRC.

Its not even wanting Aunt May more than his wife thats the worst part, its sacrificing his life with his wife in order to save the life of a 95 year old woman who should have been dead years ago anyway.

That's kinda my point - Peter wants his Aunt who was already elderly, already with health problems (and, IIRC, had died once already only to have it retconned into being an Aunt May imposter) to continue living rather than accepting that its inevitable that May pass on at some point. I dunno, its just kinda creepy that Peter would force his Aunt back into life without ever thinking about what she might want, or worrying about what it actually means in reality.

Basically it just doesn't work to me. I guess Peter just really, really loved those wheat cakes that May kept serving... :p

The premise was that, if it wasn't for him, she wouldn't be minutes from death. And he felt he couldn't live with that. Mary Jane is the one the actually sealed the deal with Mephisto, she whispered something to him right before they agreed to terms.

Actually, the new Spidey comics are refreshing. I had enough of somber spidey and two out of the three groups working on his now tri-monthly title handle him very well. Spidey's actually fun to read again. Not to mention they're actually bringing out some decent new villains. The current arc and set of writers sucks badly tho.

Edited by kumquatq3

I've heard BND is as good as OND was considered to be bad.

I think that the basic premise, of everyman loser Peter Parker making a deal with the devil to bring back his elderly (and dead before) aunt doesn't *work* for me, but it seems the resultant comics have done well for Spidey fans (excepting the die-hard marriage fans).

I've heard BND is as good as OND was considered to be bad.

I think that the basic premise, of everyman loser Peter Parker making a deal with the devil to bring back his elderly (and dead before) aunt doesn't *work* for me, but it seems the resultant comics have done well for Spidey fans (excepting the die-hard marriage fans).

I'd agree with all of the above

for the record, MJ's still in the new comics, but they broke up in them, for a as of yet undisclosed reason (other than it was Peters fault)

RIP Dave Stevens, creator of the Rocketeer and the guy who is probably most responsible for the resurgence of Bettie Page's popularity.

He passed away after a long fight with leukemia.

http://pwbeat.publishersweekly.com/blog/20...vens-1955-2008/

http://www.newsfromme.com/archives/2008_03_11.html#014911

Basically it just doesn't work to me. I guess Peter just really, really loved those wheat cakes that May kept serving... :thumbsup:

It also adds yet more proof to the MJ is not Pete's true love argument. I'm so sick of MJ being his love interest when its obvious that if he could bring Gwen back he'd dump MJ in a heartbeat.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I'm always surprised they never really seemed to deal more with that, but yeah it seems like the doomed love of Gwen has a bigger pull.

But then I never had a problem with the marriage, so I'm easy I guess.

• 1 month later...