Don't forget Afghanistan

Walsingham

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/6953860.stm

Afghanistan is 'missing' hundreds of millions in aid promised by Western countries. The lack of which is one of the key causes of instability. It may be too late, but don't forget what we promised. Remember a dollar in reconstruction is worth 100 in arms.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Also not forget the 19 remaining Korean hostages held by the Taleban, the BBC and other major western networks hardly report anything on this because the situation is remaining too static to be 'newsworthy'. Afghanistan remains in an unenviable situation for its visitors, its government and most of all its own people just as much as Iraq...

Yet unlike Iraq Afghans are returning rather than fleeing. This is a country that wants desperately to succeed at the grass roots level. They may be fractious, poorly-educated, and proud. But they've got a lot of spirit. I speak from direct experience. Developing the country isn't going to be quick. But nor is it impossible.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/6953860.stm

Afghanistan is 'missing' hundreds of millions in aid promised by Western countries. The lack of which is one of the key causes of instability. It may be too late, but don't forget what we promised. Remember a dollar in reconstruction is worth 100 in arms.

Tell that to Bushie. Instead of "staying the course" he decided to invade Iraq. If Afganistan isn't getting what it is due it is because of that.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Why does Sand hate freedom? :'(

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I love freedom. I also love responsible leadership which the Republicans and Bushie are not providing. If we focused on Afganistan instead of wasting lives and resources in Iraq Afganistan would be a more stable and well off nation. However, in Bushie's infinite stupidity, thought raging a two front war is a good thing.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

So wait, Sand hates Bush? This is news, indeed!

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Countries should really stop 'pleding' money for various charitable purposes without actually having looked at their budget first. It's the same with the UNHCR and the World Food Programme, a lot can be done to prevent those pictures of starving children we see on the news every time there is a famine in Africa, but most of the money doesen't start to appear before we do.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Gorgon makes a good point. Even as Sand makes a redundant one. In any event the total amount pledged to Afghanistan in 2003 was barely 600 million, and not even this has actually turned up.

The only time I am ever inclined to believe the whole hocus pocus about the defence industry calling shots is when I look at teh huge cost of our military presence versus the miniscule quantity of civil aid. Counter-insurgency has to include hearts and minds. It's not a matter of opinion, it's a fact. Unless we do start spending soon and getting results then we're going to see the average Afghan wonder what the point of the new government is. The present general willingness will disappear and in a worst case scenario we could face a general insurgency rather than the Talibs.

-Elwood Blues

Well, any aid to Afganistan will have to wait til after Iraq. The US just do not have the resources and the Republicans and Bushie knows that. They just don't care.

The only time I am ever inclined to believe the whole hocus pocus about the defence industry calling shots is when I look at teh huge cost of our military presence versus the miniscule quantity of civil aid. Counter-insurgency has to include hearts and minds.

Really? The thought has never crossed your mind when considering what it must require - logistically, economically, and politically - to support our seven hundred-something foreign military bases? The US presidency is not a vocation someone simply "steps into." It comes with tremendous "bureaucratic" obligations to maintain and - if possible - expand the Pax Americana.

Edited by Azarkon

There are doors

Well, any aid to Afganistan will have to wait til after Iraq. The US just do not have the resources and the Republicans and Bushie knows that. They just don't care.

Hmmm. You don't think it might make more sense to devote resources to a campaign where the enemy is weaker, and we can win the shorter term? Thus giving a morale boost all round, and vindicating the concept?

-Elwood Blues

I am more concerned with the long term, then any short term gains. I would love for the US government to focus on Afganistan, but Bushie tied the majority of our resources in Iraq. We have a two front war here, Walsh. We need to focus on one over the other, and I really rather we focus on Afganistan over Iraq but that is not part of the Neo-Con agenda.

Edited by Sand

I not sure how an achievable win is either disconnected from a long term campaign, or why you think Afghanistan is not part of the agenda. Afghanistan has been on the agenda since 9/11. A failure in Afghanistan at this stage woud not only wreck US attempts to inroad central Asia, but would directly weaken Pakistan. A country teetering on the brink of Jifascism and who even an Independent on Sunday journalist would agree has nukes.

-Elwood Blues

If Afganistan was really part of the agenda Bushie would have finished securing the country before invading Iraq. Its just a secondary concern now by how much resources is given to it. Hell, Al Qaeda and the Taliban have made gains in Afganistan. If Bushie really "stayed the course" we would have eradicated the Islamafacists in that country by now, but no. Bushie and his Neo_Con Republican friends had to be a bunch of idiots and invade a country that was no threat and a dictator that was contained. If Afganistan falls, it is because of Bushie's idiocy. I am surprise it hasn't yet.

I think Afghanistan should try to raise the money themselves, maybe a bake sale or knitting and selling those blankets with all the holes in them, what are those called?

Edited by Laozi

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I think Afghanistan should try to raise the money themselves, maybe a bake sale or knitting and selling those blankets with all the holes in them, what are those called?

I dont think thats possible. I bought some arab cookies down at the "turkstore" and they were disgusting. That's the price you have to pay for spending all your time Islamatizing while you let your knowledge of pastries wither away, mr. Mullah. And those blankets are a joke, how am I supposed to hide a dead hooker in my backseat if its is full of holes? These people pay no attention to de details and thats why they will always lose.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Maybe they should. It is, after all, impossible to be unhappy while wearing a poncho.

-Elwood Blues

Don't forget Afghanistan

Who?

Oh them. They would be pretty well off if countries like the US legalized opiates. All that opium that Afghanistan grows, they could make a decent amount of money in sales.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

Don't forget Afghanistan

Oh them. They would be pretty well off if countries like the US legalized opiates. All that opium that Afghanistan grows, they could make a decent amount of money in sales.

Actualy, no they couldn't. Opium is so easy to grow market forces would slash the cost. Would hardly be worth growing! :devil:

However, in one of his smarter moves Tony B has suggested Afghanistan should be allowed to grow opium for legal production of medicines. A smart plan (up to a point) in my opinion as there's a chronic shortage of cheap palliatives in a lot of developing and wartorn states.

-Elwood Blues

I still say that they should be encouraged to grow hemp. But I may have had my fragile mind warped by Cypress Hill. It's so hard to tell.

-Elwood Blues

Irrespective of teh industry, they need two fundamentals what they have not got at present:

1) Arteries of information.

2) Veins of transportation.

This means in my opinion radios with market prices and weather reports, and roads. Roads roads roads. Roads are good for the people and good for us. Big solid slab concrete roads would be best because they're hard to mine.

-Elwood Blues