Dorothy go bye-bye

Walsingham

I wasn't to mention this, but it keeps happening now. I have a problem that periodically, usually mid-game my computer goes blackscreen and then reboots. I'm guessing, given the timing that my graphics card is either over-heating or drawing too much power.

Thoughts?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Before I got my 650 watt power supply I had a 350 Watt and my computer did the same thing after I installed my Radeon X1900, so it could be power supply issues. Also it did it when I put the graphic settings too high. If your settings are too high, it could mean the graphics card is indeed getting too hot or basically saying "SCREW YOU." What's the wattage of your PSU?

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Last time I had this it was power supply due to installing a new card. If it was overheating, I'd think you'd see some sort of artifacting beforehand. Or at least occasionally.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Don't rule out bad RAM. I made that mistake once.

You could use this opportunity to build one of them relatively cheap "hot rods". I bet you could knock that price down below $800 at least if you salvage parts from your old rig.

Edited by Pop

Since cleaning should be pretty straightforward, I will now give that a try.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Right, I've cleaned it, but I haven't time to pay games till this evening.

-Elwood Blues

No problems at the moment. But no long sessions of gameplay so far either.

-Elwood Blues

• 2 weeks later...

well, i got a good one with the antec case i bought, but of course, it was an antec tru-power supply which i've had good luck with. :)

i'm with meta on your problem, btw.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Ditto what Taks Meta and Sand said. I had that same problem with Oblivion and my new NVIDIA 8800. I replaced the 400W PS with a 600W and its been fine ever since.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

me gots a nifty new 650W antec now.

i think i've posted on this before, but the modular cables that came with it are actually a pain. none of them are 1-1, so you still end up with a mess of cables hanging around because everything needs its own cable these days... sigh.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Computers don't need more power! That's a conspiracy and myth. Telling people that computers have to draw more power is just the government's way of taxing video games and the internet!

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Higher power consumption is always good. Buy the PSU with the highest wattage (if that word exists)! No, I mean, just look at the crazy numbers on nowadays vacuum cleaners - our new cheap 1600W cleaner doesn't clean better than our old 800W...

BTT, does your PC seem healthy again, Walsingham?

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Thanks for asking, samm. It certainly seems that way. I had to scrape a lot of dust out, but far less than I expected. I'll be keeping an eye on her as time goes by.

-Elwood Blues

This is why no-one should use a came-with-the-case PSU ...

Not true. Buy a case from a respected manufacturer like Antec and you're good to go without worries.

I just bought the Antec Sonata III for my girlfriend. It comes with a pre-installed Antec EarthWatts 500W PSU.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

You bought a pcu with the cast attached. :D

Edited by Cantousent

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!