Bioshock!

Krookie

Yeah it's like when Molyneux talks about the love in fable 2. It's like dude we get it, it's not even that awesome or deep. I just want to murder people using a variety of things and have a well thought out story line not a freakin dog.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

I read somewhere that the PC demo was expected to arrive August 21.. But I can't find my source so I'm probably wrong.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Someone should put together an initial game rankings for Oblivion and compare it to the one for Bioshock. I bet they are pretty similar. Not that Oblivionation was bad game, but eh meh...there's been a lot of better ones, you know.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Someone should put together an initial game rankings for Oblivion and compare it to the one for Bioshock. I bet they are pretty similar. Not that Oblivionation was bad game, but eh meh...there's been a lot of better ones, you know.

I can't be exactly sure, but a few days ago I read somewhere that the average rating for Bioshock is 9.8, whereas Oblivion's was 9.4

I can't be exactly sure, but a few days ago I read somewhere that the average rating for Bioshock is 9.8, whereas Oblivion's was 9.4

I just find it interesting how reactions can differ to the same level of hype and garish reviews. With Oblivion, the high reviews were because either game reviewers were incompetent or all game publications are in the pocket of major publishers like Bethesda, but with Bioshock the great reviews must be because it is a great game. WHich I am not saying it isn't, merely remarking upon the inconsistency of gamer response.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

4% is pretty trivial. Then again, the score itself means little. Though, when Oblivion came out, pretty much every big review site gave it high praise. It ended being a tart (still leagues above Morrowind, for which I gave it decent props for, but that's because of how low the bar was to begin with from the previous game). Morrowind is probably the worst game I've paid full price for, but I'm going off-topic with my holy war.

The same is being said for Bioshock. Now, I'm pretty sure Bioshock will be the better game, as I've played the demo and the it actually has a solid foundation for gameplay. But, I read through a few reviews and the same crap seems to come around. This will change how you view games in every genre forever? Now, gameplay-wise, it looks like it'll be pretty fun, but to go that far from various sites makes me a bit skeptical.

I've also seen how they've mentioned that the story is so good that it'll make you question yourself etc etc and that they don't want to spoil anything for the reader. From what I've seen from the demo, the PC will be a silent protagonist (oh, sorry, you can 'roleplay' your own dialogue, it's immersive!) - even though he did speak while on the plane - while other characters will tell you what to do, etc. Kind of like HL2. Now, narrative-wise, I found HL2 (which I find a great game, actually) urg, especially Episode 1. I did not need that stupid hag PMSing to me in a freaking monologue with my PC not being able to say anything or shut her up. Monologues usually ensure for me that the suspension of disbelief never actually occurs. The promising thing about Bioshock is that you'll be able to have more choices via your actual actions (or so it seems), and that's something to be commended. But then, it HAS been done before as well, and isn't necessarily the pinnacle of narrative. Then again, a lot of games that supposedly had good story I found pretty lackluster. Maybe I shouldn't be dissecting that aspect of the game and just focus on the gameplay - which sounds pretty appealing.

I probably sound more negative than I mean it to be, but that's better than a whole thread (or a full page of threads) of hype and praise about the game, which I've seen elsewhere. This isn't the second coming of Zeus, though I'll happily eat my words if it is.

EDIT: Wait, SS2 had freaking co-op??? Why the bloody crap doesn't this game have it? I don't care about deathmatch, but give me co-op!1!1!!!!1!11 Jerks.

Edited by Llyranor

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

What a great review, huh?

tbh was never really caught on the hype (hell, never played system shock, wouldn't run on my machine), but i remember seeing a 25 minute gameplay trailer run-through or something and it just didn't really get me. Funky graphics and physics stuff, but nothing truly engrossing.

Edited by Tigranes

Eh, I know a lot of gamers that enjoy Oblivion. But it's a game that is very shiny at first and doesn't show it's flaws right off the bat, similiar to Black & White. I remember CGW basically recanting on their review a couple issues after giving their 5 star stamp to B&W. But the difference is Bioshock is a 30 some odd hour shooter, so I'd think it's easier to review, since you can reach all the content in a week.

For me, Oblivion has actually improved over time. It's a great sandbox game that lets you do a variety of things. But if you aren't a fan of the sandbox style of gaming, then I guess you might see it as the downfall of gaming.

edit: Wait a sec Llyr, you played Morrowind and Daggerfall? I'm confused how you could possibly be surprised by the way Oblivion turned out? It seems a bit naive to assume Bethesda was going to fix stuff that had led them to success in the first place.

Edited by Hurlshot

I love Morrowind. I find it surprising that Oblivion turned out so crap because it got rid of the stuff that made Morrowind successful. An interesting unique world and a far more reasonable levelling system.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I didn't play Daggerfall. In any case, I wasn't terribly surprised with how Oblivion turned out. I certainly understand (but not agree) with some of the design decisions for the series. That being said, mediocre (at best) storytelling/writing and subpar real-time combat aren't the highlights of the series, and doubtfully had anything to do with the series' success. I was led to believe those things would be fixed in Oblivion. They were slightly improved, but that hardly means anything. In the series' defense, I've enjoyed some of the exploration, though the lack of meaningful choices/consequences ultimately kills it for me. But this isn't a TES bashing thread, despite my subtle jabs.

I do enjoy sandbox games - it just depends on their implementation - though they're not my favorite genre. The gameplay has to excel in many ways in order to compensate for the lack of direction. When executed well, I can imagine it being quite good. Despite its flaws, Dead Rising was overall a pretty neat experience - the sense of urgency and time limits added to it, I believe, though some do not agree.

Actually, if this had splitscreen or online co-op, I would get it in a heartbeat. It does make quite a significant difference.

Hadescopy.jpg

I read somewhere that the PC demo was expected to arrive August 21.. But I can't find my source so I'm probably wrong.

The game releases on the 21 in North America.

Edited by theslug

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

The PC demo comes out tomorrow at 7 PM EST.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Co-op makes every game 2x better. I think I would poop my pants if Dead Rising 2 had co-op.

They're not making Dead Rising 2, at least not at the moment. #1 didn't sell the pants off of Nipon. So go the priorities of Capcom.

Well, yeah, selling over a million overseas isn't much incentive.

Hadescopy.jpg

I am not going to spoil myself either :thumbsup:

The performance from what i've heard, is a bit so-so, but Ati and nVidia have promised to release some hotfixes when the demo is "officially" out (= when Fileplanet's counter has gone to zero).

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Tried the demo. Seems to run fine on my system with everything maxed out at 1280x960. Fraps indicates between 20 and 30 fps, though.

The graphics are sweet and the ambiance seems to be genuinely scary. The gameplay seems to be mostly run&guntm with added plasmids. I guess it could be described as a more actiony System Shock 2. The faster pace kind of clashes with the scary atmosphere, though. Here's hoping the full game plays differently... o:)

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Oh, screw you nVidia. The control panel isn't working again.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."