Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition is on the way...

Sand

or you can do like you and newc and either whack on strawman or make nonsense response

nonsense? i'll have you know that bridge has 76 hits on ebay.

am not sure why some folks think 1e were less 'bout combat.

the argument wasn't that 1e was less about combat, it was that 4e seems even less than 1e about combat - that even 1e made nods to non-combat aspects of the game in a way that that description of the 4e rogue didn't.

one thing about 4e which does look interesting, though, is the 'D&D experience' software: anyone see the lastest screenshots of that?

Edited by newc0253

dumber than a bag of hammers

I assume you mean the D&D Insider software. That will require a subscription and I have no intention of paying monthly fees for MMOs, be they computer MMOs or PnP MMOs.

technically speaking, i don't think it's an MMO because it would be purely party-based. more like an MO or a MP session of NWN with a DM.

but, yes, subscriptions usually suck ass.

I assume you mean the D&D Insider software. That will require a subscription and I have no intention of paying monthly fees for MMOs, be they computer MMOs or PnP MMOs.

technically speaking, i don't think it's an MMO because it would be purely party-based. more like an MO or a MP session of NWN with a DM.

Technically speaking you are correct, but the revenue model is the same as that of MMOs and that's what I was referring to.

but, yes, subscriptions usually suck ass.

Definitely! I simply do not subscribe to games - full stop.

I simply do not subscribe to games - full stop.

i wouldn't rule out subscribing to a game if it was worth my while.

but subscriptions mostly make sense for the kind of online multiplayer games that you play on a continuing basis and that really isn't my cup of tea. i prefer games to be like books, with a start, a middle and a finish, that i can pickup whenever.

also most online RPGs are full of freaks.

Edited by newc0253

I simply do not subscribe to games - full stop.

i wouldn't rule out subscribing to a game if it was worth my while.

I would. I need a sense of ownership and the notion that my game is 'secure' in the regard that it cannot be interrupted/revoked when I end my subscription... This obviously differs for different people, but I would not subscribe to a game no matter how good it seemed to be from my outsider position.

but subscriptions mostly make sense for the kind of online multiplayer games that you play on a continuing basis and that really isn't my cup of tea.

That too.

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT

4TH EDITION AT D&D EXPERIENCE 2008

1. Character roles are more clearly defined.

Everyone who

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

for dumbing down, that actually still seems fairly complicated.

compared to that (1) roll for initiative (2) move (3) roll to hit (4) roll for damage is blindingly straightfoward.

Edited by newc0253

Magister started a new thread with more concrete stuff in it. It might be best to close this thread and his new one:

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=49082

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!