Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition is on the way...

Sand

Tlantl, not to be overly judgemental, but it seems to me that you can't plan for crap. Out in the wilderness, in dark caves, have them in a ore vein of gold, platinum, or some other rare mineral. Have them face orc raiding parties that have loot they stolen from caravans. Have your NPC party have some magic items but use some common sense and don't monty haul it.

I have been DMing DnD since the early 80's and 3.5e is my favorite version of the game. It keeps all the good old stuff while making it fun to play. 4e looks like they are removing what makes DnD from DnD.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

it is beginning to look that way.

in fact when 4.5 comes out and they put back in what they took out, even for the FR im going to make a post there stating i told you so.

all said and done though. if it makes it easier to translate into a pc game easier, then it may be fine.

maybe they will make a alt wizard version later on, i dont like harry potter, he's a upstart, give me pug or macross the black anyday.

heck even gandalf

Strength through Mercy

Head Torturor of the Cult of the Anti-gnome

I was happy with 2nd edition, and I still prefer it. Wizards exists to make money, 'course TSR didn't, hence why they went bankrupt. But wizards exists to make money, not just games, you can always tell the difference between a loved game made by someone who loves it and... The only thing I liked about 3/3.5 was the skill system, though the crafting system sucks :o

2e had annoying restrictions that didn't make any sense.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

lol 2nd ed.

Cat scratches a 1st level wizard

Wizard loses all hit points

Wizard is dead

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
So when WotC talks about using 2d10 instead of d20

Where did you hear/read that? I have been following 4E news closely, but I must have missed that.

and giving triple hit points to starting characters (including enemies)

This messes up multiclassing somewhat. It would probably be better to give two racial hit dice to each starting character, rather than triple hit points.

I recently heard they're jumping the timeline a century or so. Anyone know what changes they're making to the cosmology?

I hear they're even getting rid of the bloodwar. None of what I read seemed reliable.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I recently heard they're jumping the timeline a century or so. Anyone know what changes they're making to the cosmology?

I hear they're even getting rid of the bloodwar. None of what I read seemed reliable.

That would be screwy. Or maybe they're looking to kill the Planescape setting for good.

3E has point buy, which limits character creation to me. Too many min maxed characters.

In PnP I also prefer rolling to point buy both as a player and as a DM, but in CRPGs point buy is OK. In any case, given the design philosophy of WotC for 4E, I would guess that point buy is not just going to be an option in 4E, but it will likely be the default method of ability score generation.

From playing Mask of the Betrayer I think it\s especially bad how the epic feats require stats of 25, which means you can only min max if you want some of the fun feats.

Every 3E CRPG I have ever played since Torment I have made a point of rolling my stats and entering them with cheat codes. Of course I end up with too many points to spend and I become overpowered, but it\s better than the very limited choices you get with point buy.

As for the proposed changes, I like complexity, I like lots and lots of choices at level up and character generation, but then it\s been over a decade since I have actually played pen and paper D&D on a regular basis, my experience of 3E has been almost entirely digital interpretations.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

This is what my Google-fu is coming up with:

1) Tyr kills Helm in a duel over the affections of Tymora thanks to Sune for reasons that aren't clear except they seem to indicate Cyric got them both to drink an enhanced version of a philtre of love...

2) The Faerun setting is being set 10 years ahead of the 3e version and not the 100 years indicated at the start of The Orc King...

3) Mystra is slain in her home plane of dweomerheart by Cyric and Shar, the result is that she is effectively destroyed permanently and the backlash of this kills countless spellcasters, renders others insane and has been called the Spellplague.

4)There is a side effect that results from this "Spell Plague" that causes Faerun to merge with something that was split from it by an elvish high sorcery and this will not only explain the presence of the Eladrin but also the increase in numbers of Tieflings although exactly how hasn't been said but there have been indications the Eladrin fled an invasion in their own home plain and that whatever did invade might have arrived in Faerun and caused this...

http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/commu...gardingFaerun4e

If The Orc King is revealing aspects of 4E, I might get it. I'm not a PnP gamer, but I do enjoy the drama of DnD's cosmology. Heck, I'm dying to know if they'll ever reveal where Deathstalkers get their powers from. Some suspect it is Cyric, others that it's Set, and some suspect it is indeed Bhaal.

I'm reading a bit about the clearer division between demons and devils. Devils are scheming and trying to obtain souls, demons are engines of neverending destruction. But... this is new? I thought that's how it had been.

Edited by Tale

From playing Mask of the Betrayer I think it\s especially bad how the epic feats require stats of 25, which means you can only min max if you want some of the fun feats.

Every 3E CRPG I have ever played since Torment I have made a point of rolling my stats and entering them with cheat codes. Of course I end up with too many points to spend and I become overpowered, but it\s better than the very limited choices you get with point buy.

Well, I certainly see your point.

As for the proposed changes, I like complexity, I like lots and lots of choices at level up and character generation, but then it\s been over a decade since I have actually played pen and paper D&D on a regular basis, my experience of 3E has been almost entirely digital interpretations.

I am both a PnP RPG and CRPG D&D gamer and I like complexity in both.

On the whole, I am still ambivalent about the direction 4E is taking, as there is really not enough information available to make up my mind about the mechanics.

This is what my Google-fu is coming up with:
1) Tyr kills Helm in a duel over the affections of Tymora thanks to Sune for reasons that aren't clear except they seem to indicate Cyric got them both to drink an enhanced version of a philtre of love...

2) The Faerun setting is being set 10 years ahead of the 3e version and not the 100 years indicated at the start of The Orc King...

3) Mystra is slain in her home plane of dweomerheart by Cyric and Shar, the result is that she is effectively destroyed permanently and the backlash of this kills countless spellcasters, renders others insane and has been called the Spellplague.

4)There is a side effect that results from this "Spell Plague" that causes Faerun to merge with something that was split from it by an elvish high sorcery and this will not only explain the presence of the Eladrin but also the increase in numbers of Tieflings although exactly how hasn't been said but there have been indications the Eladrin fled an invasion in their own home plain and that whatever did invade might have arrived in Faerun and caused this...

http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/commu...gardingFaerun4e

If The Orc King is revealing aspects of 4E, I might get it. I'm not a PnP gamer, but I do enjoy the drama of DnD's cosmology. Heck, I'm dying to know if they'll ever reveal where Deathstalkers get their powers from. Some suspect it is Cyric, others that it's Set, and some suspect it is indeed Bhaal.

I'm reading a bit about the clearer division between demons and devils. Devils are scheming and trying to obtain souls, demons are engines of neverending destruction. But... this is new? I thought that's how it had been.

Yes, apparently Forgotten Realms is getting a substantial remake.

One thing I'm hopeful about for 4E is that hybrids will be more useful at later levels. Especially looking towards Epic.

Edited by Tale

Man, this remake feels like 40k 3rd ed all over agagin.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

any deathstalker of bhaal in 3.x must have servant of the fallen feat, and a new patron will grant the deathstalker spells in the name of fallen deity.

the issue is that what about amunator's sunmasters, since 4e is coming out, will they bring him back???

well guess we wait and see

Edited by steelfiredragon

Strength through Mercy

Head Torturor of the Cult of the Anti-gnome

Man, this remake feels like 40k 3rd ed all over agagin.

You mean, like "Going down the drain"? :sad:

They did it to Epic, they did it to 40k, and they are currently busy messing up the army books completely for fantasy ;)

Luckily, my familiarity with Forgotten Realms is mostly from paper back books and crpgs, so I don't really have this sense of violation of my orthodox perception of what it *should* be compared to what it *used* to be.

(although, the "Times of Trouble" trilogy is probably among the worst books I've spend time reading)

Does anybody know of any Forgotten Realms games at all, due to be released in a foreseeable future?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein