Movies you have seen lately

Walsingham

"Superbad" - It was hilarious, funnier than Knocked Up. McLovin' was epic.

See, I'm on the opposite side of the fence there, Hurly. I thought Knocked Up was much funnier than Superbad.

I can see where many people would. Knocked Up seems more like the more mainstream comedy than Superbad. But Knocked Up's humor was all based on stuff I went through fairly recently. Seriously, all the pregnancy stuff was funny, but when you go through 9 months of it, it's not as ha ha funny.

Whereas High School was far enough removed for me to look at Superbad and laugh my ass off. I'm pretty sure I was one of those geeks, but I'm cool now, so it's humorous.

S what I'm saying Kor, is once you stop being a geek and get a girl pregnant (they are related) you'll choose Superbad over Knocked up :D

Hold on, did you just call me a geek? This can only be settled one way. Oilers versus Sharks, boi!!

Again, we have totally different opinions on the two movies. It's possible high school was so long ago that I couldn't really relate to any of the characters. And I found McLovin pretty annoying after about thirty minutes. He was the kind of geek in school we used to pick on.

And not that I kept a laugh count going or anything, but I remember seeing both movies in the theatre, and I honestly laughed most of the way through Knocked Up, while Superbad had me yawning in more than a few spots.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Saw the Mist. I'd give it a B-- (B double minus, haha) ... or 2.75 stars out of 5, maybe ... a decent, but not nearly one of the best, King adapatations.

I absolutely hated the very ending, however. They should've closed the film maybe 2 minutes earlier than they did, because those last 2 minutes destroyed the entire potential 'horrific drama' impact for me.

Anyway, beyond the ending and some sluggish 'non-action' sections, it was certainly better than one might expect. "Ollie" was cool, the nutty doomsayer chewed scenery amusingly, and the suspense parts were entertaining enough, even if the monsters looked a bit cheesy. Maybe they were supposed to look a bit cheesy ... w/the ending, I'm not sure. :p

A couple of the action sequences were even very close to what I envisioned when I read the written story, and that was cool on a personal level, too.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Superbad - Some funny parts but I'm getting annoyed with all the same cursing/sexual/pot jokes found in all these movies involving Seth Rogan. Yes, we know you find pot head slobs funny. We get it. Enough.

Anyway I had a few chuckles but I found Knocked Up funnier and a better film overall and 40 Year Old Virgin is still the comedy king of the decade for me.

7/10

Plug Me In - Haven't watched it yet. My wife gave it to me for my birthday. Since I'm a huge AC/DC fan I'll give it a 9/10 right off the bat...

Umm, there was absolutely zero use of Pot in Superbad.

You know what I meant. These Apatow films all have a very similar "jobless pothead slob "vibe to them. It's where the comedy comes from.

Oh and I'm pretty sure if one looks closely enough there is pot use in the "party scene"...

28 Weeks Later.

First scene/5-10 minutes were cool. The rest of the 1st hour was ok but spent a long time setting up characters and such. The last hour I spent fast-fowarding for several seconds about every 5 minutes.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Shoot'em Up. Freaking awesome. It's always nice to find an action movie that actually manages to surprise you.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I saw The Golden Compass. I enjoyed it. I cannot recommend it. It's absolutely atrociously written and paced. It is sometimes remarkably abstract (souls live outside bodies as daemons) and sometimes retardly overt ("a war on free will"). Everytime Nicole Kidman's character spoke I facepalmed. Her words illustrate how shallow and poorly developed the enemies of the movies are, or at least presented. As for pacing, it's too busy. It tries to stuff too much into dialogue too quickly and then immediately jumps into doing it elsewhere. Constantly.

And the final battle of the movie is hilarious. A bunch of children against guys with guns. IN COMES A POLAR BEAR! Oh no, the polar bear is losing. IN COME THE WITCHES! Oh no, the witches are losing. IN COME THE GYPTIANS! Oh no, the gyptians are losing. IN COMES THE AERONAUT!

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I just saw "Dark City". It had many similarities with Matrix (though it's older than it). It really had a nice atmosphere throughout the movie,

though I didn't like the battle and the line around the end "..you are looking at the wrong place.". Agreeing with it or not it was very forced for my taste.

I think therefore I am?

Could be!

Or is it really someone else

Who only thinks he's me?

Jonah Hill was in both Superbad and Knocked Up. He's one of things I didn't like about those movies. I can't stand him - fairly strange considering I don't tend to like any stars one way or another.

I thought Superbad was pretty good, if awkward at moments. Knocked Up had me laughing at times but not often enough to warrant the title of comedy, IMHO - it too was kind of awkward in parts.

Edited by Krezack

I saw The Golden Compass. I enjoyed it. I cannot recommend it. It's absolutely atrociously written and paced. It is sometimes remarkably abstract (souls live outside bodies as daemons) and sometimes retardly overt ("a war on free will"). Everytime Nicole Kidman's character spoke I facepalmed. Her words illustrate how shallow and poorly developed the enemies of the movies are, or at least presented. As for pacing, it's too busy. It tries to stuff too much into dialogue too quickly and then immediately jumps into doing it elsewhere. Constantly.

And the final battle of the movie is hilarious. A bunch of children against guys with guns. IN COMES A POLAR BEAR! Oh no, the polar bear is losing. IN COME THE WITCHES! Oh no, the witches are losing. IN COME THE GYPTIANS! Oh no, the gyptians are losing. IN COMES THE AERONAUT!

Saw it on Friday and I'd have to agree with everything you said.

I took off work early today and saw I Am Legend. Very well done, but could have been done a little better. It was obvious some things were cut out. I can't wait to see the Director's Cut. This was definitely the best of the three movie adaptations.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I took off work early today and saw I Am Legend. Very well done, but could have been done a little better. It was obvious some things were cut out. I can't wait to see the Director's Cut. This was definitely the best of the three movie adaptations.

Glad to see one good review. I hate all this "Oh Will Smith is ruining classics!!" I happen to be a very big Will Smith fan and I think he's a great guy and a good actor. I thought I Robot was a decent action flick and I was really hoping this one turned out good as well. I also want to read the book too since I heard its good but the movie is quite different. Not too sure how I'll like the cgi but w/e Will Smiths body looks awesome in this one and I mean that in a totally hetero I'm jealous of how lean and sculpted he is.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Oh hell I forogt that came out this week. I'll go see it Saturday.

Saw the Goonies, awesome movie. Reminds me when I saw it in the theaters in my younger days.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

Glad to see one good review. I hate all this "Oh Will Smith is ruining classics!!" I happen to be a very big Will Smith fan and I think he's a great guy and a good actor. I thought I Robot was a decent action flick and I was really hoping this one turned out good as well. I also want to read the book too since I heard its good but the movie is quite different. Not too sure how I'll like the cgi but w/e Will Smiths body looks awesome in this one and I mean that in a totally hetero I'm jealous of how lean and sculpted he is.

I can't think of a single actor who could have done that part better than Smith did. He was front center for 98% of the movie, and only the dog gets as much camera time as he did. It takes a lot of gravitas to pull that off and he did it very well. My only complaints with this movie were:

They should have added an extra 10-15 min dealing with the effects of isolation on him. They did address it but it was handled pretty abruptly. Also about halfway through the movie the behavior of the mutants begins to change, they begin to organize. They call special attention to it but they never come back to it. It sounds like that sub plot got cut. There were a few other loose ends that made you think part of the movie was missing.

None of that detracts much from the story. The tension this movie builds is incredible. It is similar to 28 days but better.

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Got around to seeing PotC-3.

The end battles were fun to watch, but boy, that movie is a mess.

SpiderMan-3 was a lot better. Much more fun. But I still like the 2nd one best.

My only complaints with this movie were:

They should have added an extra 10-15 min dealing with the effects of isolation on him. They did address it but it was handled pretty abruptly. Also about halfway through the movie the behavior of the mutants begins to change, they begin to organize. They call special attention to it but they never come back to it. It sounds like that sub plot got cut. There were a few other loose ends that made you think part of the movie was missing.

About the first part part. I thought they did a pretty good job of that actually.

He has conversations with mannequins as though they were real. He talks to his dog as though Sam was a person. The total freak out when the one mannequin moved.

What would you have liked to see them add on that?

On the second point, I noticed that too. It was kinda odd that they didn't go into that any more than they did. I assumed that it had to do with

them not having lost quite all humanity like he said. Smith kidnapped the mutant girl and the other mutant guy all of a sudden has a vendetta against him and reappears several times later on.

What were the other loose ends?

Doesn't count as a movie but Dexter season 2. Sweet mother of all that is holy it was beautiful, brutally beautiful. The ending I predicted but it was better than doing something outrageous and stupid. I really enjoyed this show. The first season I loved however upon reviewing it a second time a few months ago I wasn't as impressed, but this really put the nail in the coffin. The begining half of this season was frankly beyond exceptional and probably some of the best tv programming I have ever seen in my entire life. Only thing that comes remotely close is the first season of Lost.

I'd recommend this show when it comes out on dvd so you can marathon both seasons during a slow/holiday weekend. Lay down on the couch with some snacks and deliciously cold beverages wrapped up in a blanket and be prepared for a great little time.

Also the English chick, pale as she was, her ass was simply divine. Seeing her breasts on many an occasion didn't hurt as well.

I'm just sad poor dokesy had to die. :p

However that bat guano insane jalopy whore getting murdered at the end was sweet vengeance.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

The Pretender 2001

I miss this show. This movie is so good, I think I'll buy all four seasons in a couple of weeks.

The weird thing about The Pretender. Jarod and Ms. Parker often end up alone and you just want them to get romantically involved, but the way this show handles family mystery and revelations, there are points in the series where we're tempted to think they're brother and sister.

^Yelled over the sound of the chopper

"You should write a story about me."

"Why should I write a story about you?"

"Because Im so f-ing great."

OR

"How can you shoot women and children?"

"Easy, you just dont lead them as much."

That movie has some great lines.

Edited by Gfted1