Movies you have seen lately

Walsingham

Eight season running.

I just watched Bringing Out the Dead. Saw Casablanca yesterday.

Both qualify for just about perfect films in my book, albeit very different films.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

The Girl Who Pierced Time(Toki wa Kakeru Shoujo)

Ookay, as animation films go, this was top notch. Incredibly believable, emotive characters, fun and light-hearted and yet sad and tumultous. The story of a high schooler who learns how to time leap, to turn back time and redo things. Initially she uses it to get merits for herself, like perfect grades, spend 10 hours in a karaoke, sleep in late and not miss school, etc, but slowly it sort of appears to her that her actions are taking free will out of other's hands, especially when she tries to set things straight again and fails utterly. It's not a beatiful past time, a sugarcoated story with some soddin' moral teaching, by any means though. I don't think I've found anything animated so down-to-earth lately, and that's the film's strength - it's hard to not like so real characters.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Eight season running.

I just watched Bringing Out the Dead. Saw Casablanca yesterday.

Both qualify for just about perfect films in my book, albeit very different films.

Casablanca had one of the best endings ever. Definitely a 4 star movie.

I rented and watched What Dreams May Come. I liked the book a lot better.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

The Girl Who Pierced Time(Toki wa Kakeru Shoujo)

Ookay, as animation films go, this was top notch. Incredibly believable, emotive characters, fun and light-hearted and yet sad and tumultous. The story of a high schooler who learns how to time leap, to turn back time and redo things. Initially she uses it to get merits for herself, like perfect grades, spend 10 hours in a karaoke, sleep in late and not miss school, etc, but slowly it sort of appears to her that her actions are taking free will out of other's hands, especially when she tries to set things straight again and fails utterly. It's not a beatiful past time, a sugarcoated story with some soddin' moral teaching, by any means though. I don't think I've found anything animated so down-to-earth lately, and that's the film's strength - it's hard to not like so real characters.

I now have to see this.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I've been re-watching 24 from season 1 for a while in anticipation of the eventual release of season 6 on dvd. 24 is one of the only shows that I can watch multiple times and still enjoy.

I'm currently mid-way through season 3. One thing that really bugged me was the jarring transition between season 2 and 3. Season 2 ends with such a surprising cliffhanger ending then just picks up on a completly different storyline that in no way closses events of season 2. I did hear that the 24 video game closes the gap, but I had absolutly no intention of buying a PS2, luckily youtube contains the entire group of cinematics from the game so it was kind of like watching a mini-season of 24. It was nice to finally see what happened to Max and a few other loose ends were tied up, though they don't do a good job of explaining how Palmer survived with his poisoned... palm.

That one about time sounded interesting.

Casablanca kind of speaks for itself, especially the ending Although the bit where they sing the Marseillaise really resonates, especially set in context.

Bringing Out the Dead grabs me because it is so ambiguous. I can't decide if it's dark or light. In this respect it reminds me of Taxi Driver. But it really stands out because of its cast, there are several (I suspect) unscripted moments that work to perfection.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I now have to see this.

I made a review on this movie in the last thread saying it was aweosm and had people getting hit in the face and trains killing people and you don't say anything but all the sudden muso comes out of the wood work thinking hes cool becuase he watches anime or something and you'll watch it now. Don't expect us to be friends anymore. :'(

I'm going to watch a movie tonight, just not sure which one. Maybe zodiac, hard candy, or the pursuit of happiness.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Bringing Out the Dead grabs me because it is so ambiguous. I can't decide if it's dark or light. In this respect it reminds me of Taxi Driver. But it really stands out because of its cast, there are several (I suspect) unscripted moments that work to perfection.

I really liked that one too, but I think we're in the minority. Its one of the few times I think a director has really used modern special effects to craft a story.

Borat thought it was superfunny in parts, the bits about the bear were especially funny. I'm not sure how the film would stand up to another viewing so I'm filing it away until the proper time comes again.

Edited by Laozi

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Last Tango in Paris.

Has anyone ever seen this? I've only seen it recently, and as I was feeling pretty miserable at the time, it struck a deep chord in me. I don't agree with Pauline Kael that Last Tango is "the most powerfully erotic movie ever made". Yes, there's lots of brutal kinky sex, but none of it is sexy. My idea of a sexy movie is something that might actually make you smile, like Sirens. This one is dark and depressing. In fact, it's the most raw and painful meditation on hurt and desperation I've ever seen. This is the best performance I've seen from Marlon Brando, and there can be no question that he carries this movie almost single-handedly.

One of the truest and most moving lines I've ever heard in a movie comes from that scene where Brando is talking to the corpse of his wife, where she is interred. She committed suicide, and for reasons he doesn't understand. At first he just calls her vile names, but as his tirade continues, he sounds more and more hurt. He tries to peel away the makeup on her and ends up sobbing over her body instead.

"Even if a husband lives 200 hundred ****ing years, he'll never discover his wife's true nature. I may be able to understand the secrets of the universe, but... I'll never understand the truth about you. Never."

I guess you could say that at the end of any failed relationship.

Anyone else have thoughts to share on this movie?

Edited by Deinonychus

I now have to see this.

I made a review on this movie in the last thread saying it was aweosm and had people getting hit in the face and trains killing people and you don't say anything but all the sudden muso comes out of the wood work thinking hes cool becuase he watches anime or something and you'll watch it now. Don't expect us to be friends anymore. :'(

I'm going to watch a movie tonight, just not sure which one. Maybe zodiac, hard candy, or the pursuit of happiness.

Did someone type something? I don't see an avatar, must have just been some copy blurb on the page, pay it no mind.

Last Tango in Paris.

Has anyone ever seen this? I've only seen it recently, and as I was feeling pretty miserable at the time, it struck a deep chord in me. I don't agree with Pauline Kael that Last Tango is "the most powerfully erotic movie ever made". Yes, there's lots of brutal kinky sex, but none of it is sexy. My idea of a sexy movie is something that might actually make you smile, like Sirens. This one is dark and depressing. In fact, it's the most raw and painful meditation on hurt and desperation I've ever seen. This is the best performance I've seen from Marlon Brando, and there can be no question that he carries this movie almost single-handedly.

One of the truest and most moving lines I've ever heard in a movie comes from that scene where Brando is talking to the corpse of his wife, where she is interred. She committed suicide, and for reasons he doesn't understand. At first he just calls her vile names, but as his tirade continues, he sounds more and more hurt. He tries to peel away the makeup on her and ends up sobbing over her body instead.

"Even if a husband lives 200 hundred ****ing years, he'll never discover his wife's true nature. I may be able to understand the secrets of the universe, but... I'll never understand the truth about you. Never."

I guess you could say that at the end of any failed relationship.

Anyone else have thoughts to share on this movie?

Am I confusing this with the film about Anais Nin?

-Elwood Blues

Let's see, here's the top five:

Shaun of the Dead

Raiders of the Lost Ark

The Red Violin

THX 1138: Special Edition

Saints and Soldiers

Edited by Deadly_Nightshade

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I didn't think Saints and soldiers was that great. Not bad, but not great.

-Elwood Blues

It was ok, but I wouldn't say it was the best movie....

(Those were the five movies top movies I have watched, not my list of my top five favorite movies.)

I'm not trying to make a big deal out of this. I 'm just curious You mean top five most recent?

I watched Jarhead recently, as I may have mentioned. That was a surprisingly good war movie.

-Elwood Blues

TMNT - Very decent, lots of fun and somewhat more serious than the cartoon and the previous films which, to me, is a very good thing. 8/10

Year of the Dog - Me and my wife recently had to put our pug down because she was too sick for us to keep paying the vet bills. This sucked big time. This film however really got to us. It opened a freshly closed wound and had us crying like our 2 months old baby. 8/10

Japanese film called Azumi. It was pretty violent, and more like a real-life anime than anything else. Oddly enough, it was dubbed in English and I'd rather have had it in subtitles.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is absolutely hilarious. I'm only halfway through but I've nearly fallen out of my chair several times.

Does anyone know where I can find this movie for sale?

Edited by Tale

Zodiac. This movie was long as all hell. It was pretty good but also pretty slow moving all the way through. It was nice piecing things together but there were way too many names thrown around and I suck with names really bad so towards the end of the of movie I was thoroughly confused. Good acting and plot but way long and kind of slow with no real ending to speak of, not really it's fault since the case was never completed irl. So I will generously give Zodiac an 7/10.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

How does watching the condemned clue you in on why you didn't do good at the box office, Chris?

Anyhoo, I went on a Guy Pearce inspired movie binge yesterday, watching Memento, Ravenous and the Proposition again. Memento is clearly my favorite of the three, but there's something about the way that the Proposition is presented that makes me think it may be the better film. Go figure.

Only a few more days till Superbad!

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.