Open GL 3 finalized

mkreku

Open GL 3 has finally been finalized! And it can do everything DirectX 10 can + more. There is NO REASON for Obsidian (and other game developers) to hold us hostage under Microsoft's monopoly!

Source: http://www.osnews.com/story.php/18446/OpenGL-3-Announced/

Source: http://www.khronos.org/library/detail/sigg...f_presentation/

With a little luck, every game developer will embrace this and we'll all be able to switch to Ubuntu (or whatever Linux-package you prefer) instead of Windows. In my dreams.

(Semi-related news: DirectX 10 do-able on Windows XP.)

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

OGL3 means a whole new era of cross-platform gaming! :D Without that miserable p.o.s Vista

..and every other kind of software using 3D graphics such as 3d modeling software, CAD/CAM etc.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Aboot time!

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Not compatible? That is just plain stupid. It sounds like OGL3 looks like a winner.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Does this mean I don't have to buy a new graphics card?

In other news, it turns out the new version of DirectX (10.1) will be incompatible with current DX10 cards.....ouch!

What? link please.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Yup. DirectX 10.1 won't be usable on today's hardware. But I don't think anyone's going to care about DirectX 10.1 anyhow so there's no reason to worry.

http://techgage.com/news/directx_101_not_c...-gen_dx10_cards

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I truly hope that Open GL 3 is viable option for developers.

It IS. For instance, ID Software's new monster engine is OpenGL based.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Hmm, I kinda ment if you put "Requires latest Direct X" on a game people are going to think "w00t graphixzorz", but if you put "Requires Open GL" people are going to think "What? Does it run on my comp?"

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Hmm, I kinda ment if you put "Requires latest Direct X" on a game people are going to think "w00t graphixzorz", but if you put "Requires Open GL" people are going to think "What? Does it run on my comp?"

The typical gamer wouldn't know the difference between Direct X and Open GL. The gamer that does knows it doesn't matter.

Wow, just wow on the microsoft move. I am lost for words.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Seriously, I must confess that DX10.1 is too new for me :rolleyes:

Wow! We've found Bok's limit! :o

And shouldn't your wallet implode not explode what with the lack of money inside?

Edited by Deraldin

Good thing I waited on getting a new Video Card. :down:

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

Open GL 3 has finally been finalized! And it can do everything DirectX 10 can + more. There is NO REASON for Obsidian (and other game developers) to hold us hostage under Microsoft's monopoly!

Source: http://www.osnews.com/story.php/18446/OpenGL-3-Announced/

Source: http://www.khronos.org/library/detail/sigg...f_presentation/

With a little luck, every game developer will embrace this and we'll all be able to switch to Ubuntu (or whatever Linux-package you prefer) instead of Windows. In my dreams.

Cheers to that. =]

So, what does this mean, exactly? We won't need Vista if a game requires OGL3 instead of DX10?

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I believe so.

Assuming they're not using any Vista only features that XP doesn't have, like virtualized memory or whatever it is they were supposed to have in DX10 that's now being moved to 10.1.

Which I think would be a reasonable assumption.

Edited by Tale