Internships abroad?

tuittupaa

How probable it is to get an internship abroad?

In Finland the games industry is in child's boots. The small studios won't most likely hire interns. As I'm studying into business, I'm interested in if it's impossible to find an internship abroad or not. I've been told that studios like to hire local students only...

Both of which are specialized in their categories and release pure gold :aiee:

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

I can see that people are much interested in this thing.... *sigh*

Fine. I'll learn the hard way. And I'll probably be the only one offering advice to others like me once I get that far...

Edited by tuittupaa

Meaning no disrespect, but getting an internship in the games industry is near enough impossible, getting a good internship is the thing of legend.

Your best shot would really be Remedy & Bugbear.

US companies are not even very forthcoming in regards to hiring people from other countries period, it's most due to the costs involved with visa's and such.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

You could have more chances in Canada... in some provinces the government encourages international student internships (in Quebec anyway!). I don't know if this apply for business student who want job in the game industry but it's worth it to check it out.

US companies are not even very forthcoming in regards to hiring people from other countries period, it's most due to the costs involved with visa's and such.

I realised this after some research but what are the actual facts? Is there some employees from outside the US at Obsidian? For entry jobs?

Edited by Jack_Wellington
NWN2_FR_MAGIE_729_90.jpg

I realised this after some research but what are the actual facts? Is there some employees from outside the US at Obsidian? For entry jobs?

It's actually down to the paper work and extra costs involved for a company to hire someone from outside the US, basically the whole work visa thing is such a ball ache that it hardly seems worth it, but if you're good enough I suppose a company will go the extra mile :).

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

Guest Raymond Holmes
Thank you for the info! It makes sense... Still curious if there is employees from outside the US at Obsidian...

We usually find our interns locally.

You are very unlikely to find an intern position abroad. Even if the position is unpaid, I'm not sure of the legality of "employing" someone without proper visas. It might be possible if the potential intern was in the US on a student visa, but again you'd need to be local.

We have a relationship with a local Art Institute and tend to get a lot of people from there. When I was at a company in Dallas, we tended to get our people from the Art Institute or the Guildhall.

Good luck!

We usually find our interns locally.

You are very unlikely to find an intern position abroad. Even if the position is unpaid, I'm not sure of the legality of "employing" someone without proper visas. It might be possible if the potential intern was in the US on a student visa, but again you'd need to be local.

We have a relationship with a local Art Institute and tend to get a lot of people from there. When I was at a company in Dallas, we tended to get our people from the Art Institute or the Guildhall.

Good luck!

Thank you for the reply, I much appreciate it.

So, I now know that I don't really need to bother to seek internship in US. Well, less work for me. Thank you. :thumbsup:

I'm still hoping that Europe is more kind.