Microsoft Windows Vista updates

Gamebanshee is linking to two Microsoft updates that could potentially solve a lot of problems people are having running the KotOR games (and others) with Windows Vista.

"Performance and Reliability" update.

"Performance and compatibility" update.

As this seems to be Microsoft's first attempt to address these issues, I think it merits a thread of its own. Of course, I've added this information to the FAQ as well.

Hope this works! :brows:

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

• 1 month later...

I use vista home premium (64bit)... i installed the plugins as u suggested. But when i wanna start the game theres this crapy "KOTOR2 doesnt work anymore" or something... i dont get it, KOTOR1 is running whitout probs. I got the most recent nvidia forceware driver. i just solved the problem with securom and now this...

Does anyone know whats going on here?

Thx a lot:)

You are trying to run a 32 bit application on a 64 bit OS. That's what is going on. It simply will not work.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

You are trying to run a 32 bit application on a 64 bit OS. That's what is going on. It simply will not work.

You do know that 64-bit OSes can run 32-bit apps, right?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

You do know that 64-bit OSes can run 32-bit apps, right?

thats right, kotor1 is running for example... but some 32bit apps dont work, like Battlefield 2142

First, thanks Steve for the help. Downloading now. :huh: I have no problem with running KotOR I, but I have been fighting to get KotOR II to work. Maybe this will solve my issues. Thanks man.

Second, most of the computing world is running 64bit cpus and 32bit operating systems. Unfortunately, there are a few applications that are incompatible. Most of the 32bit games I have runed worked well on MS Vista Premiem. When the computing world makes an operating system jump, there are allways a few programs that don't make it. "KotOR I" works flawlessly in MS Vista on a 64bit cpu. "KotOR II" doesn't like to play well with others. Maybe Obsidian used a different approach?

Some games that made the cross-over:

"Knights of the Old Republic I"

"Diablo I"

"Diablo II"

"Tom Clancey: Rainbow Six" - Whole Library

"Tom Clancey: Ghost Recon" - Whole Library

"Vampire the Masqurade: Bloodlines"

"Star Wars: BattleFront I"

"Star Wars: BattleFront II"

"NeverWinter Knights I"

"NeverWinter Knights II"

"SimCity 2000"

"SimCity 4"

"McGee's Alice in Wonderland"

Again, all the above mentioned work perfectly with MS Vista. All I did was use the updated patch from nVidia.

Edited by Force Slayer