Xbox 360 price drop

LINK

Saving money is always good, right?

Plus, it seems any 360s manufactured after July 15 have the new 65 nm "Falcon" chip in them. I'm no tech scholar, but I hear the 65 nm chips are supposed to generate much less heat than the current 90 nm ones. Also, they're smaller, so I guess there's more room for air to flow around inside the box -- which should help that overheating problem that leads to the system crashing.

So maybe if I buy one now it won't turn into a $350 paperweight, eh?

The icing on the cake is that MS has been manufacturing 360s with an extra heatsink for a few months now, and those are already in stores. I guess if your 360 failed and you sent it back to MS, you might have got one in your refurbished system, too.

And according to this thread, you can get both the extra heatsink and the Falcon chip if your 360 was manufactured July 15 or later. The wiseguys on that forum discuss how to tell when your 360 was manufactured in that thread, as well.

The $50 price drop on the premium is nice (that's one free game right there), but when you add in the free three-year warranty, the fixes inside the new boxes, and the upcoming game lineup, it seems I've got several good incentives to buy. It's too bad they didn't drop the Elite more, but I don't have a HDTV anyway and I don't see myself needing the 120 GB HDD. The Core doesn't make sense at all (why did they make a system with no hard drive, when the original Xbox had more hard drive space than I could use?), so it looks like the Premium's the one to buy.

Edit: Oh, my apologies to the denizens of these fora who are scattered across the globe: the price cuts are only in North America for now.

Edited by Darth Drabek

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

I tempted to buy one, but I'm saving up for a new PC build (1/3 of the way there!) for the sole purpose of playing Starcraft 2. I know it most likely won't need a beefy system to run, but I want to play it in all its glory.

My previous attempt to buy a new PC failed miserably because of some unexpected expenses.

I know I'll be picking up a 360 eventually for Mass Effect, Ninja Gaiden 2 and some other games. All the improvements made to the system plus the 3 year warranty for the red ring of death and the games that are coming out for it make it very tempting to get one.

we got ours for free... an xbox 360 elite. is not having the new chip. however, as we got as a gift, we splurged and got the super extendo warranty.

am considering whether we shoulds develop mysterious problems so as to get new model. is there a performance boost with the new chip? if not maybe we waits til they work out new kinks with new chip 'fore we experience our accidental meltdown.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

we got ours for free... an xbox 360 elite. is not having the new chip. however, as we got as a gift, we splurged and got the super extendo warranty.

am considering whether we shoulds develop mysterious problems so as to get new model. is there a performance boost with the new chip? if not maybe we waits til they work out new kinks with new chip 'fore we experience our accidental meltdown.

HA! Good Fun!

No performance boost really. But it will run cooler, and thus, there's a less risk of it breaking down.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy